The Bottle vs the Venturi

Gagarin

On long trips there will be always the need to bladder relief yourself or your passengers. Holding it up can be very discomforting leading to embarrassing mishaps.

In the Mooneys the options for bladder relief are limited to using a bottle or a pilot relief venturi tube. I have used both and here are my findings.

The Bottle  

1. When using the bottle make sure it is at a 45deg or greater down incline to avoid spill back. You may need a seat cushion.

2. Make sure not to loose the cap. Put the cap on as soon you are done.

3. A plastic bottle may crack when coming down from 20,000 ft it it was filled at altitude and it will leak the contents. 

4. Do not forget to empty the bottle as soon you land. A bottle left overnight in cold weather will freeze making it unusable or hard to empty.

5. Make sure you have a bottle for each occupant. They don't like to share bottles. Have the bottles in a six pack tray for when coming into the FBO to empty them. 

The Pilot Relief Venturi Tube  

1. Unlike the bottle you can use the relief funnel at a horizontal or vertical  up angle. The suction will keep any spillage from happening. This gives you more flexibility when using it. 

2. A small disposable cleaning pad is all you need for multiple users. Due to the suction there is no liquid residue on the funnel after its use.

3. Make the hose long enough to reach the rear passengers. The hose can easily be coiled underneath the pilot seat.

4. Have a male funnel and a female adapter to attach to the hose. Better than seating on a dirty toilet seat.

5.  Due to the small area exposed a small towel over your lap will give you enough privacy. 

6. Easy installation, no more than an hour.

Relief Venturi in Mooney.jpg

Edited by Gagarin

51 minutes ago, steingar said:

Feel sorry for whoever has to clean the belly of that aircraft. Me, I'll just land and stretch out.  Never been in quite that big a hurry.

Never found any marks on the belly. Once in a while I spray WD-40 into the hose and on the belly to keep them clean. Better than bottle leaks on the seat, on the carpet or the bottom spar cap splice. The venturi outlet is not a spray  but a narrow stream that is not in contact with the belly.

Edited by Gagarin

31 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

Im never in such a hurry that I can't land and use modern plumbing. 

Try that over the North Atlantic. The plumbing and facilities at LPAZ and BGBW are WWII vintage. But there are plenty of palm trees that you can try.

Edited by Gagarin

52 minutes ago, Gagarin said:

Never found any marks on the belly. Once in a while I spray WD-40 into the hose and on the belly to keep them clean. Better than bottle leaks on the seat, on the carpet or the bottom spar cap splice. The venturi outlet is not a spray  but a narrow stream that is not in contact with the belly.

Wait a second- WD-40 and a relief tube mentioned in the same post?  José must be back...

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, pmccand said:

Ok, stay with me here.... I know that Mississippi winters invite lots of rodents that love to make nests in planes.  It is their uric acid that RUINS airplanes, especially the steel frame tubes and causes galvanic and intragranular corrosion between aluminum skin plates.   I wonder if human urine has the same corrosive effects, especially if it runs in a capillary action between two pieces of aluminum and stays there a while.   Hmmm.

The rodents nests inside the wing are not exposed to airflow so their discharge remains in the area. Any urine from the venturi will not remain for any time in the airframe due to the 150kt+ airspeed that blows it away. The belly panels are layout so the most forward ones are on top of the ones behind insuring no water entrapment when flying in rain.  No issue on plastic belly panels.

Edited by Gagarin

8 hours ago, Gagarin said:

The rodents nests inside the wing are not exposed to airflow so their discharge remains in the area. Any urine from the venturi will not remain for any time in the airframe due to the 150kt+ airspeed that blows it away. The belly panels are layout so the most forward ones are on top of the ones behind insuring no water entrapment when flying in rain.  No issue on plastic belly panels.

There's still a mess to clean off of the belly, bith my fibetglass one piecd and the aluminum tailvone behind it. I assure you, no matter how streamlike the flow is going into the venturi, it's a high-speed mist coming out the back and it goes everywhere. And no, our slipstream won't keep it from pooling along seams and the rear edge of various overlapping joints (like the backmof mynfibetglass belly panel, where it's up against aluminum).

No thank you . . . . I'll just land.

• Like 1

Maybe someone with the ventury setup would be willing to mount a couple of GoPros on the belly, drink lots of coffee, and go fly. Then we’ll know what really happens to the liquids and it will be fun to watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Hector said:

Maybe someone with the ventury setup would be willing to mount a couple of GoPros on the belly, drink lots of coffee, and go fly. Then we’ll know what really happens to the liquids and it will be fun to watchemoji3.pngemoji3.pngemoji3.png

I’m laughing!!  :lol:

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

Personally, this third alternative makes much more sense to me Main Image  

I carry them, but only use them in the very rare occasion when a bathroom stop just isn't practical.

They're actually pretty effective, they pretty much instantly soak up any fluid and prevent it from spilling.  Positioning it and your pelvis is a little tricky while seated, though, doubly so for women. 

They're actually pretty effective, they pretty much instantly soak up any fluid and prevent it from spilling.  Positioning it and your pelvis is a little tricky while seated, though, doubly so for women. 

Fourth alternative; adult diapers, no positioning required. I have no first hand knowledge on their effectiveness.

Tom
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

Fourth alternative; adult diapers, no positioning required. I have no first hand knowledge on their effectiveness.

Tom

Yep (probably) the only way to go with an immersion suit on too - but that's a planned long range flight with the needed foresight to set up for it. But for the unexpected occasional use I don't think you can beat the little chemical odorless packets like the above Rest Stop.

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

Tom

53 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Yep (probably) the only way to go with an immersion suit on too - but that's a planned long range flight with the needed foresight to set up for it. But for the unexpected occasional use I don't think you can beat the little chemical odorless packets like the above Rest Stop.

You also want to practice ahead of time, because mentally it can be challenging to start the business in an unfamiliar environment and position.  You certainly don't want to wait until your bladder is near exploding!

Maybe someone with the ventury setup would be willing to mount a couple of GoPros on the belly, drink lots of coffee, and go fly. Then we’ll know what really happens to the liquids and it will be fun to watch

@201er

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The problems with the Restop 1 option

1. Is a one shot solution. You need multiple packages for long trips or several passengers.

2. If you ran out of them not every FBO has them.

3. Finding a storage place for bags full of urine

Advantages of the relief tube.

1. Unlimited use 

2. Empty funnels always easy to store

3. No need to dispose of urine bags

But if you are planning to go all the way with Restops products get the Restop 2 Commode.