voltage regulator location on acclaim

Aspen2013

I have 2008 acclaim that appears either alternator or voltage regulator crapped out. I looked in tail and firewall from engine side and don’t see voltage regulator. Must be under glare shield. Seeing if anyone knows exactly where it is located without tearing apart the plane to find it. Will test voltage output of alternator before replacing anything. Thanks

Hmmm...

I don’t recall where the LBs put that important device... it is usually close to the alternator though... 

Some modern Mooneys hid it under the glare shield on the copilot side...

The control wire, aka field wire, gets less accurate with distance...

See if @M20Doc is around?   (Voltage regulator / long body question)

Best regards,

-a-

That helped a lot. So there is a black plate that hides the regulator. The regulator is attached to this plate. It is easily located under the dash. There is no behind the MFD. my MFD When removed is a solid metal plate with one LRU. Just stand on your head and remove from under the dash. 

Aspen,

did you get anywhere with the troubleshooting?

There is a troubleshooting guide that is often used by one of the alternator guys... it works for just about any alternator and voltage regulator from the basic issues that typically occur...

The field wire seems to be a popular failure point... broken or disconnected wire will disable the charging system pretty well.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Click the like button on the post that delivered the drawing for you...  he deserves a lot of likes when he drops the drawing you need...  Especially when your drawing is missing the data you are looking for...

That guy has skills...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Well it started with flipping on the alternator switch and the red flashing alt light didn’t go out. Ran up RPM and nothing. Then the battery flashed red as it discharged and showed negative amps  

Today I checked the alternator output and it was 25 volts. Turned off switch and volts went to zero. Flipped it on back to 25. Voltage regulator is zeftronics. The light was steady green when alt switch on. 

Standby alternator seems to work correctly except the ALT VOLTS light still flashes.?

not sure what is next. Calling plane power and working with shop about trouble shooting. 

Thanks for asking

Ken

Edited by Aspen2013
  • Like 1

UPDATE- Allen at Hartzell technologies walked me through a very simple procedure. Disconnect the F1 lead and then turn on master switch and alternator switch. The wire should have buss voltage and the terminal should also, if not then the alternator is no good. Also the F1 and F2 terminals when tested for resistance there should be a small amount. If zero or infinity then again a problem with brushes. All alternator problems. Will replace and update you this weekend.

• Like 1