Mythical Furry Creature Dynon Journey

Yetti

14 hours ago, Yetti said:

Best learned thing.   I thought the key switch just grounded out the mags.   Apparently the mags send a impulse back up the line.   The Skyview EMS picks off the impulse and displays it as the Tachometer.

The key grounds the mag to turn it off, so the P-lead is open at the switch when the engine is running.    This means that something monitoring the P-lead can detect the rate at which the points are closing and determine RPM from that.   There are other ways to do it, e.g., my JPI has a lead that sits next to the magnet on my dual mag and detects how fast it is spinning.

Edited by EricJ

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

The key grounds the mag to turn it off, so the P-lead is open at the switch when the engine is running.    This means that something monitoring the P-lead can detect the rate at which the points are closing and determine RPM from that.   There are other ways to do it, e.g., my JPI has a lead that sits next to the magnet on my dual mag and detects how fast it is spinning.

I kind assumed a rotating sensor, but a little soldering a couple of resistors and it was all good.

I almost took the opportunity to trace the 5 unused wires under the cowl and cut out some wires...  Maybe next time.

Planing for phase 2.   all the breakers and wiring are in for the 10" primary monitor.   I kind of want to save the round airspeed and Turn coordinator they would got where the CDIs are.

But first a PAR200 to get back to 2 radios.

IMG_20191231_090720.jpg

Edited by Yetti

2 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Is that an indication of a pair of fancy Dynons going in the panel?!?!?

Not just one?

Some Mooneys get moved to Modern Mooney status automatically...

:):):)

That looks so good.

Best regards,

-a-

Yes.   What was interesting on the short maintenance flight I did was how your eyes are drawn to the pretty screen.   I experienced the same thing when flying the G1000.   You have to remember to look outside and enjoy why we like to fly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2019 at 3:22 PM, Yetti said:

Yes.   What was interesting on the short maintenance flight I did was how your eyes are drawn to the pretty screen.   I experienced the same thing when flying the G1000.   You have to remember to look outside and enjoy why we like to fly.

Yea, the first few hours feel like info overload too.  

49 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

Yea, the first few hours feel like info overload too.  

I learned steam gauges.  When transitioning to the G1000 I sat down with youtube and learned the key things you need to do.    Set Transponder code.   Navigate to a point, Tune the radios.   Lean the engine. Of course every time I went up you end up learning one or two new things.

• 2 weeks later...

Certified shops or someone with an IA can install the Dynon Skyview.  To meet the STC you have to install the back up D10A and the minimum equipment including the STC for $2,000.00   Mine has been installed under the IA Option.   I have spent about $14K so far.  To solve primary engine monitoring, EFIS, Flight planning, ADSB-out, Annunciation (It actually says "arriving at destination")  VFR Synthetic vision, VFR mapping and the D10A backup AI.   When Dynon finishes the Autopilot install for the Mooney, it would be $750*3  servos = $550.00 for the A/P panel.     To replace my steam gauges with a 10 inch monitor would be $4300.00.   Someone was thoughtful and pre wired for the bigger screen.  So cut, plug and play.

Assuming my time is free.

The best advice I could give is that it is not an instrument replacement effort, but more of reconfigure the whole plane for g1000 type environment.

IMG_20200108_140837.jpg

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 7:03 PM, Yetti said:

Certified shops or someone with an IA can install the Dynon Skyview.  To meet the STC you have to install the back up D10A and the minimum equipment including the STC for $2,000.00   Mine has been installed under the IA Option.   I have spent about $14K so far.  To solve primary engine monitoring, EFIS, Flight planning, ADSB-out, Annunciation (It actually says "arriving at destination")  VFR Synthetic vision, VFR mapping and the D10A backup AI.   When Dynon finishes the Autopilot install for the Mooney, it would be $750*3  servos = $550.00 for the A/P panel.     To replace my steam gauges with a 10 inch monitor would be $4300.00.   Someone was thoughtful and pre wired for the bigger screen.  So cut, plug and play.

Assuming my time is free.

The best advice I could give is that it is not an instrument replacement effort, but more of reconfigure the whole plane for g1000 type environment.

IMG_20200108_140837.jpg

What does that mean VFR synthetic vision and VFR mapping?  Does that mean you are no longer allowed to fly IFR?  Or does it mean that if you are IFR you are not allowed to look at the SVT on your panel?  Or if you do look at the SVT you are not allowed to admit it?

Congressional oversight: Yetti - did you look at the SVT on the panel during approach on ILS5?

Yetti:  Senator, I do not recall.

E

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

What does that mean VFR synthetic vision and VFR mapping?  Does that mean you are no longer allowed to fly IFR?  Or does it mean that if you are IFR you are not allowed to look at the SVT on your panel?  Or if you do look at the SVT you are not allowed to admit it?

Congressional oversight: Yetti - did you look at the SVT on the panel during approach on ILS5?

Yetti:  Senator, I do not recall.

E

I think the idea is they really don't want you to trust it for IFR.   Since the GPS 2020 is only mid level certified (for ADSB) not approach certified.   Is it a tool to use if you needed. can you suspend some FARs in an emergency as needed only to the extent needed.  I would say yes to both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob - S50 said:

I notice your HDX shows you 2.5 degrees nose up while your D10 shows you about 5 degrees nose low.  Is it always like that?

I calibrated both in flight after that picture was taken.   Should be the same at this point   It might be a little off since you can get the Mooney riding nose low surfing the wave.

• 1 year later...

So here is an update.   Hooking up the fuel pressure sensor.  Rev A of the wiring diagram and Rev D of the wiring diagram says use white orange which goes to pin 31 on the EMS module.   I believe wiring diagrams so much that I redid all the connections in the engine compartment.   Nope still a red box.    So finally got into the the EMS debug on the unit and see that fuel pressure is configured to pin 7 brown wire.    So I reconfigured the PIN and the screen to match the wiring diagram.   GRRR.

• 10 months later...

Next update. Ordered the primary screen 10" and ADSB IN.   I found myself navigating by the the 7" screen that is now tied to the Garmin 430W through the ARINC most of the time so might as well replace the primary instruments.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No picture yet, because I need to fill the gaps after pulling the instrument cluster and the old temp gauge.   But several flights with the 10" primary screen and the ADSB in have been pretty cool.   I kept the ASI and the Turn Coordinator to run the wing leveler.    It was a bit of a shock to look down and do a quick scan to realize all the old round things were gone and I need to convert from speed tapes.   The flight director is cool.   I have flown G1000 before so it just takes getting used to and figuring out the new flows.    I did catch myself doing the stare at the screen thing for too long.   There is alot of information.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...