Mythical Furry Creature Dynon Journey

Yetti

10 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

Enjoy! What are you doing for autopilot?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Waiting for the Dynon solution.  Funny enough I was reading last night that the D10A will drive an AP.   It is required for the backup for the Skyview.  The D10A is just powered up in the STC solution.  has a 4 hour battery.

The plan is:

This is phase 1 with the 7" screen in the two radio stacks.   Key features will be the ADSB and some Engine monitoring (and all the flight instruments stuff  as a bonus)

Phase 1.5 will be add the second radio in back and finish the engine Monitoring.    Only did CHT and EGT in phase 1.

Phase 2 will be the replace the primary steam 6 pack with a 10" monitor.

Phase 3 will be pull all the vacuum and add the Dynon A/P servos.

I did learn that the Brittain Accutrack will take ARINC inputs for left and right.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Yetti said:

I did learn that the Brittain Accutrack will take ARINC inputs for left and right.

Brittain uses low voltage signals + right and - left.  Both accutrack and accuflite work this way.    ARINC won’t work unless I was smoking crack when I did all my install a few years ago.

The box needs the standard 1v per three degrees deflection and the gain should be adjusted to deliver 4.5v to the bi805 at full 20degree deflection..  

Edited by Browncbr1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

Brittain uses low voltage signals + right and - left.  Both accutrack and accuflite work this way.    ARINC won’t work unless I was smoking crack when I did all my install a few years ago.

The box needs the standard 1v per three degrees deflection and the gain should be adjusted to deliver 4.5v to the bi805 at full 20degree deflection..  

http://67m20e.com/Manual No. 11990-1 Mooney Navigation Coupler Operation and Service Instructions.pdf

Section 2.2

2.2 There are considerable differences in the electrical characteristics of radio navigation equipment of various models and makes. They are divided into two categories: ARINC Standard and non-ARINC Standard equipment. A. Radio navigation equipment meeting ARINC Standards has provisions for three or more 1,000 ohm loads. Autopilot coupling may be connected across the VOR meter output without changing existing loads. All ARINC Standard equipment will provide adequate signal levels for optimum Autopilot Nav-Coupler operation

Still researching.....

10 hours ago, Yetti said:

http://67m20e.com/Manual No. 11990-1 Mooney Navigation Coupler Operation and Service Instructions.pdf

Section 2.2

2.2 There are considerable differences in the electrical characteristics of radio navigation equipment of various models and makes. They are divided into two categories: ARINC Standard and non-ARINC Standard equipment. A. Radio navigation equipment meeting ARINC Standards has provisions for three or more 1,000 ohm loads. Autopilot coupling may be connected across the VOR meter output without changing existing loads. All ARINC Standard equipment will provide adequate signal levels for optimum Autopilot Nav-Coupler operation

Still researching.....

That excerpt is talking about radio nav systems in general.  Not the Brittain autopilot.   The Brittain autopilot uses bi-polar voltage inputs to get left and right signals.   You can get this from something like a KI-208/209 that has analog L&R bi-polar outputs.   

In any case, although I haven’t read up on your dynon system, it should be able to output this type of bi-polar signal.   G5a and Aspens can do it.   You might have to use a custom configuration to get it right.   The G5s have a standard Cessna 300 AP configuration that is pretty close to correct, but in a custom configuration, you can adjust the levels optimally.  

Goood luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, carusoam said:

It’s alive!

Go Yetti!

:)

Is that the most complex electronic device you have installed in a vehicle?

Best regards,

-a-

Probably the most wires.....

For this round we are only hooking up

Tach, Voltage, Amp charge/discharge.  CHT and EGT.  

The system that I used to install in Mixer trucks was comparable in complexity.   transmitted on a  Data Channel, had a voice channel,  and a receiver to get location.   Also had the capability to monitor the truck engine and such.   But we did not hook that up.

I have prewired the Second display and run wires for a remote radio and the A/P Servos.   so lots of extra time, that will save time for the next Phase.

Need to upgrade the Audio panel, so Really thinking about a PS Engineering PAR200B that integrates with the remote mount radio.  

Keeping the KX155 so will still have VOR and glidescope as redundancy.  

• Like 1

A little pirep on the Dynon system.   It is pretty advanced.   There are diagnostic screens built into the system.   Like you can go in and tell what the thermocouples are reporting for temperature.   There was a cabling issue with the Magnatometer out on the wing and Dynon pointed it out.  Very helpful for an installer and will also eliminate the "Hey my cylinder temp is broken" thread

Even though this stuff is kind of my job....   I it is still kind of amazing.  Pull out on the runway and a runway appears on the screen.

I do admire you for taking this on. I’m only a small Yetti but a large Yetti like you, with big Yetti hands, must find it challenging to get into the bowels of the space behind the panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I do admire you for taking this on. I’m only a small Yetti but a large Yetti like you, with big Yetti hands, must find it challenging to get into the bowels of the space behind the panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ha ha.  So I still have the com access ports in front of the windscreen.   Not sure how it would be done without those.  Funny thing today I actually kind of got my hand stuck Between the Brittian Valve and tubular frame on the pilots side.  Went in fine, hard time getting out.

• Like 1