Air race insurance

M016576

For those that have entered an air race before- is it normal for the host of the race to ask to haVW the event entered on your aircrafts personal certificate of insurance for the duration of the event?

I don’t know answer but out of curiosity, what air race is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to have our insurance guy chime in... thanks Parker...

We also have a couple of MSers that have enjoyed some speed events... not much different than precision flying...

See if @jetdriven has some input regarding his Mooney team’s experience...

Aged Fuzzy memory of who was piloting what at the time...

Best regards,

-a-

On 10/22/2019 at 12:28 PM, jetdriven said:

The Airventure Cup required them to be named on the policy. 

It wasn’t additional insurance, you just called your existing insurance company and asked them to name EAA - which they did for free, I think ARC was the only time we’ve had this happen (though we also had to do it to take flight instruction at the MAPA safety clinic fwiw).

SARL and Airventure Classic races are flown under the FARs (eg you maybe be “air racing” in name, but you are operating your plane in a way you are legally allowed to operate it any day of the week), so unless your insurance has a specific exclusion you should be covered when you air race.  What would additional insurance cover for the air race that your regular insurance wouldn’t?  But you can always ask your agent to confirm. 

Edited by Becca
  • Like 1