Another aircraft using my ADSB out code?

Gary0747

I keep getting an occasional report on Flightaware of my airplane making flights in and around the New York State area.  I suspect they have mistakenly entered my FAA ADSB hex code. I am looking for suggestions on how to locate the owner or report it to the FAA.  Hopefully they will not commit any airspace violations using my ID. Here is the most recent flightaware track that was made with my aircraft ID. 
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N9562M/history/20191013/2207Z

It only lists my N number and my registration I don’t see any way to find out who they are unless they file an IFR flight plan. I am see this as a position only flight. No flight plan   I will contact my FISDO but hate getting them involved unless that is the only way. 

19 minutes ago, flight2000 said:

I reversed a few numbers and found an aircraft with a lot of flights in New York...N9526M...and it's also an M20F...go figure... :lol:

Brian

It happens more than you'd think... Was tracking a buddy in his "C",  couldn't find his tail number in the system, but there was a C-150 that just left the same airport, transposed numbers clicking along at 150+ knots 

Thanks Brian, it appears you figured it out. Somebody is transposing those last two numbers and it has apparently happened at least two other times before since all the mistaken flights have occurred in this same geographic area.  He apparently does not have ADSB out yet and is only using flight following. I wonder if this kind of error will be caught when the ADSB data can be compared to the N number that the controller types in?

It's surprising how easy it is to change the hex code in my GNX-375.  For me it happened when my shop installed a new garmin encoder which was previously configured to another aircraft. Apparently this changed the code in my setup and I had been broadcasting the tail number of this other aircraft for a few flights.  I just went into the setup and changed the code to mine.  It would seem pretty easy for a bad actor to pick that guy on the field he doesn't like and then go bust a bravo with his code...

• Sad 1

A while back an aircraft on the west coast was squawking my ADS-B.  After several flights I was able to determine their base.  I called several Avionics shops in the general area and finally talked to one who suspected a recent installation.  Turns out after we returned a loaner KT74 to BK they sent it to another customer without wiping my code.  Of course the shop that installed the unit failed to setup the unit as well.

During my attempt to track down the culprit I did call the FAA.  A wasted call.