Dan Bass tells his Carbon Monoxide survival story to AOPA

lotsofgadgets

On 2/25/2020 at 6:56 AM, Vno said:

Another good ending because of a CO detector. Recently I was doing a return-to-service flight after an extensive annual with exhaust work. I have had this Forensics CO detector since 2018. Always is between 0 and 7 ppm while flying. While descending to land I look down and see it in alarm with 247 ppm. Landing and taxi went fine. Turns out the shroud for the cabin heat had slipped down the exhaust and was ingesting raw air in cowling. Some new hardware to secure and now back to 0 ppm.

Brian

Thanks for the pirep Brian!  Did you run the heat for the whole flight?  I assume there would be CO in the cowl even with a healthy exhaust system, and it would make sense that it would vary in different phases of flight.  I wonder how much difference you had between cruise and decent? 

Cheers,

Dan

On 2/26/2020 at 12:05 PM, DanM20C said:

Thanks for the pirep Brian!  Did you run the heat for the whole flight?  I assume there would be CO in the cowl even with a healthy exhaust system, and it would make sense that it would vary in different phases of flight.  I wonder how much difference you had between cruise and decent? 

Cheers,

Dan

I did not run the heat for the whole flight. I was distracted dealing with a gear issue and finally realized/became aware of it as I entered the pattern. It could have been going off for a couple minutes before I realized it. Pretty sure it was not before then as I was looking down at the gear indicator window where the detector was located. I did notice that the heat wasn't that hot and figured that the hose might have slipped off.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Compare Dan’s usual friendly conversational voice... to his discussions with ATC...

I’m glad I know the ending to this story before watching the interview... :)

That is chilling...

PP thoughts only, if you don’t have a digital CO monitor... now is the time to get one...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

Watching it now... 

I've heard it a few times now, but it's just amazing.

I didn't bother to post it here as the pilots of Mooneyspace are probably tired of hearing the story.:)  I figure Mooney pilots are probably the best prepared for CO than any others out there.

16 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Compare Dan’s usual friendly conversational voice... to his discussions with ATC...

I’m glad I know the ending to this story before watching the interview... :)

That is chilling...

PP thoughts only, if you don’t have a digital CO monitor... now is the time to get one...

Best regards,

-a-

The atc recordings of the accident wasn't my finest hour.  It sounds like I just left happy hour.  Actually the Comanche 400 pilot (not @M20Doc) ,that did this in 1997, appeared drunk to the authorities after his mishap. 

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

I gifted a Sensorcon Inspector to each of the CFIs I worked with in getting my recent ratings, and will gift one to each of my students as they start primary training. Yes, its that important! Like @DanM20C said in the interview - just as no one should ever run out of fuel, no one should ever not know they have a CO leak (paraphrased). Well done once again, my friend.

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 2