Dan Bass tells his Carbon Monoxide survival story to AOPA

lotsofgadgets

With the leaves are falling as fast as the temperature we are getting into cabin heat season again.   AOPA has published an interview with fellow MooneySpace user Dan Bass @DanM20C where he recounts how he survived the crash of his M20C after becoming incapacitated by Carbon Monoxide.  Now is a great time remind everyone to invest in a CO detector, your life could depend on it.  

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/online-learning/real-pilot-stories/dan-bass-accident-photos

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I had a CO incident back in the 80s In my M20 F.

I was flying IFR from Denver to Rapid City SD. It was the middle of winter and the OAT was about -20C. I was on top and after a while the clouds were so bright that my eyes hurt. Then I started to get a splitting headache. 

When I was done with my work in SD I bought a pair of cheap sun glasses. When I got back to the airport it occurred to me that I might have a CO problem. I bought a CO spot detector at the FBO, started up the engine and put the spot in front of the heater duct.

It turned dark black in about 2 seconds!!! 

Being young and foolish I flew home with my jacket zipped up, my winter gloves on, the heater off and the overhead vents on full blast. It is hard to pass out when you are shivering that bad.

I felt like I had the worst hangover for 3 days.

My muffler has a split that went half way around the muffler. It was about 1/8 inch wide.

• Like 4

So I went flying with a friend of mine last weekend. He owns a 2006 Cessna 172. As I started to climb into the right seat, I noticed the little cardboard CO detector stuck to the panel. I asked him to wait two minutes while I went over to my hangar and pulled the SensorCon out of my Mooney. I just clipped it to my jacket and climbed into his airplane. We had a great flight, and it was fun to be back in a little high wing after quite a few years. Of course he asked why the concern over the CO detector and so I related Dan's story. He ordered one the next day.

• Like 5

I got the pro. It’s overkill and not worth the extra money for our usage.  You really don”t need the 24 hour average exposure or the ability to set custom alarm points.

As has been said around here before, get the cheapest one unless you are going to wear it when switching from plane to plane.  Then the vibrating alarm of the middle priced one may make sense.

• Like 1

Does anyone participate in other aviation groups beside MS?

Please forward the link to Dans’s story, twice... in case their email link is broken...

It is amazing how some people don’t get an important message... this message is worth over-telling...

Extra credit if it goes viral... where two friends share with two more friends... and so on and so on... -Fabrege organic shampoo... :)

Keep up the good work, Dan, MS, and everybody!

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

I bought one based on the recommendations I have seen here.  I like the unit.....I wish I could remember to turn it off but that is my issue.  I leave it on the cupholders, it sorta of stays there.

I get readings of zero in cruise flight, and a couple of units in climbout.  On the ground with door open it is all over the place and takes some time to settle down.  

what are people seeing on their numbers?

• Like 1

• lotsofgadgets changed the title to Dan Bass tells his Carbon Monoxide survival story to AOPA

A few flights after meeting Dan at Oshkosh, I bought an inspector.  It was especially reassuring having it after I turned on the heat later in the season and it smelled funny.  Fortunately it was nothing, but it’s amazing how frequently exhaust leaks happen in these airplanes.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thinwing said:

Every time I hear his story...I think miracle,plane basically landed itself like those ww2 “ghost”planes you read about.Also have a sensor and use it in my trailer when camping

That's the beauty of a portable sensor. I've checked my truck heater, gas stove in the kitchen and gas logs in the fireplace. All zero.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Gary0747 said:

I just purchased a Sensorcon and am looking at possible ways to attach it to an empty spot on the panel. I was thinking about removing the clip on the back and using Velcro.  I am looking for past experience on easy ways that work?

That is what I did.  Used the 3M picture hanging velcro.  Works great and easily removed with no residue if warranted. 

4 hours ago, Gary0747 said:

I just purchased a Sensorcon and am looking at possible ways to attach it to an empty spot on the panel. I was thinking about removing the clip on the back and using Velcro.  I am looking for past experience on easy ways that work?

I stuck one of those removable Command hooks on a panel blank and hung it on there. It's been there for over a year with no issues. Easy to remove if the plane is going in for maintenance or if I want to use the sensor elsewhere when I'm not flying the plane.

Here is the SensorCon on the ceiling in the camera mount, that @carusoam referenced.

I just happened to have a GoPro mount attached to the ceiling in that spot. And the clip from the SensorCon fits GoPro mounts like they were made to go together. In fact if I were mounting it somewhere else, I'd use a GoPro sticky mount and then just slide the clip into the mount.

IMG_1397.thumb.jpeg.b406eafebdf43bc9aa94a13adcb8d1e7.jpeg

IMG_1394.thumb.jpeg.f4a9b0fe808ab2d296a16c6afb16a379.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Another good ending because of a CO detector. Recently I was doing a return-to-service flight after an extensive annual with exhaust work. I have had this Forensics CO detector since 2018. Always is between 0 and 7 ppm while flying. While descending to land I look down and see it in alarm with 247 ppm. Landing and taxi went fine. Turns out the shroud for the cabin heat had slipped down the exhaust and was ingesting raw air in cowling. Some new hardware to secure and now back to 0 ppm.

Brian

COdetect.jpg

• Like 5