Does anyone know where this wire goes?

Davidv

I know this is a shot in the dark but while changing the oil yesterday I noticed this wire and I’m not sure if I nudged it out of its harness or if it was like this prior.  It’s extremely small so it’s not out of the question that it had been tugged enough times and finally broke.  I’ve circled the wire as well as the only other wire I see past the white tape that could be the other end.  After that it disappears inside larger bundles so I’m not able to trace.  Any help would be appreciated.

3AD4A040-A12D-47D7-89A4-EBB7AAAEB91E.jpeg

Yes, that's what it looks like but I was also thinking that the wire is so small that a break could look like a cut.  I'm not sure if that's the other end, but I can't find any other wires around there that are the same type besides that one.

Best thing would be trace the wire and see what it goes to in the engine compartment (easiest) and go from there. It seems to be common practice to cut wires and leave them in place for some reason. By chance is the wire labeled (printed) as to what it is? Might have to check along the length to see

• Like 2

Find out how far left and/or right (from the picture) it goes...does it go to the firewall and into the cockpit, or elsewhere?  If you can see/trace both ends of it in the engine compartment - meaning, neither end is connected to anything - it's probably ok to remove it.  Depending on what work you had done recently, may want to cross check with your avionics and A&P folks whether they know anything about it.

Steve

• Like 1

Another thing to try...

see if the two broken ends can be pulled close to each other... if they stop just short of touching...

it seems more possible that it broke under stress?

see if you can read any wire numbers printed on any of the wires it is bundled with... this may give a hint to who it is...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks everyone, quick update, I fired up the engine yesterday and so far no gauges seem to be inop.  However, I’m going flying today and will see if the TIT gauge functions as that obviously wouldn’t indicate anything on the ground.

• 3 weeks later...