Panel Color

JimB

So I am finalizing my new panel and I am trying to decide on what color to paint or powder coat it. The seats are the dark burgundy and I am also in the process of refurbishing the sidewall/ceiling panels but fixing the cracks/holes and repainting. I am using the SEM paints in a the Santa Fe color. I was planning to also use that color on the instrument panel with a flat clear coat.

I know this is a very personal preference (and I like it) but I probably won't own the aircraft forever so I'd like it to be generally appealing (future buyer/owner). What do you think?

44364.jpg

1 hour ago, JimB said:

So I am finalizing my new panel and I am trying to decide on what color to paint or powder coat it. The seats are the dark burgundy and I am also in the process of refurbishing the sidewall/ceiling panels but fixing the cracks/holes and repainting. I am using the SEM paints in a the Santa Fe color. I was planning to also use that color on the instrument panel with a flat clear coat.

I know this is a very personal preference (and I like it) but I probably won't own the aircraft forever so I'd like it to be generally appealing (future buyer/owner). What do you think?

44364.jpg

This is like asking whether someone prefers blondes over red heads over brunettes over black hair. I would paint a patch of metal and put it in the panel location and see how it looks. If the rugs and seats are a good contrasting color, then a sandy color would look good. I think the panel color is the least of the concerns a prospective buyer would have. If the seats were "not my color", I think that would have a lot more influence on anyone who considers that important. What is important is whatever color you choose, make sure they can silkscreen or etch the panel markings.

Seeing you are using SEM paints and mentioning hole repairs, I suspect you are working with Bruce Jaeger.

39 minutes ago, Marauder said:

See, Andy prefers blondes...

Actually I'm more of a brunette guy (at least that's what I tell my brunette wife:)). I agree it's just personal preference but it's not something easily changed. Maybe I could get my wife to dye her hair.......

Andy's interior and panel looks great and that's about what mine will look like when I'm done except I have the burgundy seats that match the carpet. 

Thanks everyone. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

I like it.  I will admit I've always been partial to light beige instrument panels.  Below are my before (black) and after (beige).

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_1694.JPG

I also think the lighter color panel makes the interior feel larger or less claustrophobic. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CaptRJM said:

I used SEM Warm Grey in my 231.  I have medium/dark red leather seats and trim and carpet I installed is a similar grey.  I thought it came out fine and I've gotten quite a few compliments.

That's what I was thinking too. A nice Grey with his seats in dark burgundy would look really good.  

Just now, KB4 said:

Darker tones wont reflect sun rays and look more refined.  Do what makes you happy though, all else being equal, I personally wouldn't exclude a buy decision based on panel color alone, unless it was awful. 

I agree with the more refined look of a darker panel. I think the black panels like mine got a bad rap because over the years they got frankensteined with avionics being pulled and new stuff being added. In addition, there was a time period where they were using a Naugahyde material to cover the panel. It just made for a sloppy look. I like my black panel.

Circa 2001:

Cockpit3.thumb.jpg.2fe75e4c387542391cd366b176f9b098.jpg

Circa 2017:

1374895319_2017PanelUpgrade.thumb.jpg.b4f34c56fc92a3cb64f5e64fd76a4d53.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

@Andy95W did you buy your side panels or custom make them yourself?  The relief above your armrest is the only area that feels tight in my C. 

Actually that panel is factory from 1964. I made a larger armrest and covered it and the old panel in new Airtex fabric. 

• Like 1

Just now, Marauder said:

I agree with the more refined look of a darker panel. I think the black panels like mine got a bad rap because over the years they got frankensteined with avionics being pulled and new stuff being added. In addition, there was a time period where they were using a Naugahyde material to cover the panel. It just made for a sloppy look. I like my black panel.

Circa 2001:

Circa 2017:

Chris, it’s not that I don’t like brunettes- I just can’t afford your preferences!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Circa 2001:

Circa 2017:

I guess you do Mr C. How’s it going