Educate me on exhaust flame tube inspection

3 hours ago, cliffy said:

I sent in my complete system and it came back looking like new. As an A&P he doesn't have a repair station so your A&P will need to look it over and sign it off as "exhaust system repaired by welding". I did that as I'm also an A&P but don't have the requisite skills n TIG welding. He's been doing it for many years,

CAP. 

Do you remember what he charged?

As in my previous post above- @ $1600  I had a cracked end plate and missing flame tube pieces,  he checked each riser joint and flange also, generally gave the whole thing a once over. He has a full jig so everything goes back together square and fitting the cylinder flanges.

I put it back together with ALL new hardware and springs including new blow proof gaskets and new mount flange nuts and washers. Good for another 10 years I suspect. His welding is superb! Way better than I could ever hope to do. 

12 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Do you remember what he charged?

He'll have to clean your exhaust system and inspect (measure thickness etc) to decide which areas need replacement - essentially charges for material and by the weld. He's got to see it to give you an accurate estimate. It will come back looking like new.

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

He'll have to clean your exhaust system and inspect (measure thickness etc) to decide which areas need replacement - essentially charges for material and by the weld. He's got to see it to give you an accurate estimate. It will come back looking like new.

What he said +++++

On 11/17/2019 at 9:53 AM, LucasC said:

Cliffy

Who did you use to repair the muffler?Mech told me its gonna be like 3k for a “new” system. Would much rather have it repaired. 

Thanks

While repair can be less than new, but isn't an all-new factory style exhaust around $2000 from knisely and only in the $3000 range for power flow?

14 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Powerflow is expensive, over 4500$  and slim to no documented performance gains on fuel injected Mooney’s   

And if I recall prior threads discussing its annual maintenance, there is a bit more required of it than our stock exhaust.

PF  - It has to come apart every year for lubing of the slip joints IIRC

You can visually inspect and pressure check the original muffler in place.

Believe me when I say that the original comes back from CAP as good as any new factory muffler.

The same with Dawley (only maybe more costly than CAP)