Carb air box question

Do you have any pictures?  Almost sounds like the carb heat vent line (vents heated air to atmosphere when carb heat is closed/off) is bing routed back to a ram air port in the front?  Which might be how it’s set up from the factory, my unit is set up differently with the TN and I don’t have a functional ram air. 

Edited by MIm20c

Just now, MIm20c said:

Do you have any pictures?  Almost sounds like the carb heat vent line (vents heated air to atmosphere when carb heat is closed/off) is bing routed back to a ram air port in the front?

I didn't take one because I didn't realize it was different.  The scat tube is routed to the screened hole in front of the cowl.  So, yeah, I guess it's "ramming" unfiltered air into the bypass valve.  

Screenshot_20191016-203752_Photos.jpg

• Like 1

Brice you are showing the tail end where excess warm air gets exhausted when it isn’t being used by the carb...

The screened air supply at the front of the cowl about an inch in diameter... is a cooling line for the generator...

Carb heat is also the de facto alternate air supply and needs to supply as much unfiltered air as possible...

So... find the air duct that goes to the heat muff... follow the exit of the heat muff... that is the warm air that goes to the carb heat inlet...

the carb heat inlet is right next to the tail duct discussed above...

Many early Mooneys didn’t get the tail duct... even though the hardware has a barb/bump to help hold the hose in place...

OHing the airbox is highly recommended... they suffer from a lot of wear...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic... Ask JIM his thoughts on OHing his carb heat system...

Best regards,

-a-

Just now, carusoam said:

Brice you are showing the tail end where excess warm air gets exhausted when it isn’t being used by the carb...

The screened air supply at the front of the cowl about an inch in diameter... is a cooling line for the generator...

Carb heat is also the de facto alternate air supply and needs to supply as much unfiltered air as possible...

So... find the air duct that goes to the heat muff... follow the exit of the heat muff... that is the warm air that goes to the carb heat inlet...

So some jackwagon hooked the bypass valve to the generator cooling duct.  Nice 

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

MI,

Our C guys didn’t get the Ram air option...

Alt air yes, but it is heated air when used...

Fewer mechanics are being trained in the arts and sciences of carburetors and their support systems...

Surprise!

Best regards,

-a-

Well, apparently some of us got a ram air option hahaha.

it looks like mine is all wrong.  The linkages are shot, hose goes to the wrong place, the push/pull cable is mounted to clamp on the air box.  I’ve got a bunch of crappy wires connecting the whole thing.

ill have to ask @Jim Peace who not to use lol

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

So some jackwagon hooked the bypass valve to the generator cooling duct.  Nice 

Mine was exactly as you are describing when I bought it. It also had the butterfly hooked up wrong so that it was closed when carb heat was off and open when carb heat was on....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:
2 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I didn't take one because I didn't realize it was different.  The scat tube is routed to the screened hole in front of the cowl.  So, yeah, I guess it's "ramming" unfiltered air into the bypass valve.  

Screenshot_20191016-203752_Photos.jpg

I was doing some research on getting my air box rebuilt (carb heat linkages are beyond sloppy) and I came across this photo from @Sabremech

The scat tube on mine is connected to a small screened hole on the front of the cowl.  Is mine wrong? 

gallery_1942_317_21576.jpg

Very odd setup.  I think that intake on the front of the cowl was originally meant to blow air on the generator?  The duct from mine has long been removed, and I have sealed the hole in the cowl.  Is your carb heat box actually connected to the muffler shrowd or just that little hole in the front cowl?

5 hours ago, DXB said:

Very odd setup.  I think that intake on the front of the cowl was originally meant to blow air on the generator?  The duct from mine has long been removed, and I have sealed the hole in the cowl.  Is your carb heat box actually connected to the muffler shrowd or just that little hole in the front cowl?

The large tube is connected to the muffler shroud.