Fuel drain valves

Funny...

my 65C had removable sump drains...

The important next step is to find out what is getting stuck in the drain...

My challenge was the mild steel (non-stainless, rust supply) fuel neck at the top of the tank was continuously sluffing off little bits of iron oxide...

The little rust bits would get stuck in the drain, and show up in the separator screen...

So... while you are figuring out the small details... look around for the larger details... :)

Try and exercise the sump drain until the bits come out... it may take a few gallons...

use a bucket, be prepared with proper fire safety equipment... a bucket of fuel in dry weather is very dangerous...

PP thoughts only not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Getting the modern(?) replacement is a good idea...

One day in the next decade or so, you may encounter the same challenge...

Many MSers have a spare drain, spark plug, and tools kept in their Madison Bag... 

Other variations of this situation include a change of drains that came with fuel bladders...  got any bladders with that?

Best regards,

-a-

Make sure you get the correct drains  They come with "high"  windows and" low" windows.  Also many different thread sizes. Pick carefully IIRC you want the LOW windows so gas drains from the real bottom of the tank and not another 1/4 " higher.  There are a couple of manufacturers and one builds them so you can remove them and replace the O rings on them instead of having to by another new valve if it starts giving you problems again  The other makes them so you CAN NOT  replace the o rings. 

Having the drains that can be removed with a wrench is a big plus.

But don't commit to that just yet. I'll bet its a piece of sediment caught in the valve causing it to not completely close. Get yourself a big glove to protect your arm from gas. Get your fuel tester, or a small screwdriver, and actuate the drain over and over and over again. This might do the trick.

1 minute ago, Newowner said:

I did try to do that for 30min and also blow compressed air but it’s still dripping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer man, might be time to part ways with some money.

Then one other thing to think about: if you do put the new drains in: Have a third (spare). Carry it with you with your spares and tools. On the odd chance you're away from home with a leaking drain, you can swap in the field and not be AOG....

Just now, PilotCoyote said:

When I opened up my tanks, the amount of sediment in there was notable. Plenty of crud. 

Same here. I took my time cleaning during the last tank patch project and that stopped most of the sediment.... of the pink sealant nature. Take your time blowing, vacuuming, and wiping if you ever have to open your tanks.

Not considering you have to drill out the rivets on the old one, remove the upper access panel, install a patch plate, and reseal around the new valve, plate and access panel. Frankly, I don’t think they can do it in 10 hours. I’ve got all the supplies to do this during my annual. My mechanic has been dragging his feet getting around to helping me out with it..... I’ll know more once we actually get er done. 

Edited by salty
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Newowner said:

I did blow air up and it got better but still dripping. Going in 2 weeks to replace them and do that SB about drains. Then will also clean inside the tanks. Thanks everybody for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did this conversion on a E model recently and the kit was back ordered at Mooney.  The plate nut is really the difficult part to obtain and is listed in SB M20-188 on the Mooney site, the valve is readily available and the cover patch is just a small piece of aluminum.  

If you strike out I may still have one in stock.

Clarence

Had ours done when we resealed the tanks.  Right before the reseal we had one that started leaking.  The valve got replaced, but the leak persisted.  Changed the valve twice in total, but when Edison was doing the reseal he called and said the seats were corroded.  Changed them and no leaks since.  Pics of the old corroded parts are attached for reference.

fuel drain 2.jpg

fuel drain 1.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/24/2019 at 6:45 AM, bob865 said:

Had ours done when we resealed the tanks.  Right before the reseal we had one that started leaking.  The valve got replaced, but the leak persisted.  Changed the valve twice in total, but when Edison was doing the reseal he called and said the seats were corroded.  Changed them and no leaks since.  Pics of the old corroded parts are attached for reference.

We had the same problem.