iPhone users: how does the face recognition work with a headset on?

FloridaMan

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

I haven't done any searching about Samsung tablets overheating because I have never had that issue, I'm just speaking from my experience. It is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 that I've had for about 3 1/2 years, have run both Droid EFB and recently iFly GPS. Brightness almost all the way up, screen/app always on, connected via wifi to a Stratux getting traffic/weather fed to it, direct sun where the outside temp up at 10,500' was still in the upper 70's, and have not had it overheat even on 2-4 hour trips from SoCal to Phoenix and Salt Lake City. It is also in a case which sits in the ram mount on my yoke.

I do know that I constantly hear about the problems with iPads, glad it is not an issue you are dealing with.

My experience with a Galaxy Tab A, 7", is the same. Never shutdown except when the battery runs out, even when ground navigating on a sunny Southern summer day for several hours (up to 6-7 hours at a time).

Did I mention it was <$200, has a functional GPS, and I slid in a 64GB microSD card (paid $35 for two, the other is in my phone). Does apple still not put GPS in their wifi-only models, and charge $100 or more for each step up the memory ladder at device purchase because it can't be increased? And they still overheat unless you drill out the OEM case? And this is okay with users???

15 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

That’s how I have my iPad set up too. I use WingX on the free CFI program but once I get my Garmin 375 I’ll switch to foreflight for the integration. 

-Robert 

Robert- if you like free, try FltPlanGo. It’s part of FltPlan.com which is owned by Garmin. The plan is for it to sync just like foreflight and Garmin Pilot. 
Worth a phone call, if nothing else. Flight planning is clunky but luckily I don’t use it for that. 

5 hours ago, Hank said:

. Does apple still not put GPS in their wifi-only models, and charge $100 or more for each step up the memory ladder at device purchase because it can't be increased? And they still overheat unless you drill out the OEM case? And this is okay with users???

Yep. Perfectly fine with me. One of my happiest days as an adult was when I finished changing everything over to Apple products. I can’t believe, in hindsight, just how much of my life I was wasting just trying to get my junk to work. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I do know that I constantly hear about the problems with iPads, glad it is not an issue you are dealing with.

I am not a fan of Apple products.  In fact we as a family only own a single iPad mini and only to use in the plane.  I also have a iPad mini I fly with for work and have used the larger iPad 2 as an EFB.  I have operated with my iPads where the air temp was 130 F before the door on the plane was closed.  I hear folks complaining about them shutting down in the heat.  I have never once had one shut down or even give a temp warning.  All have had an Otter Box Defender case or a Life Proof Case and I fly with it in my Mooney on a Ram Mount attached to the yoke.

4 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

WiFi only isn’t really suitable for pilot EFB’s. You want reliable internet anywhere to close flight plans etc. 

-Robert

I close my flight plan on the radio with ATC, or else Tower closes it when I land. Your tablet requires the same signal source as a phone. 

I am not a fan of Apple products.  In fact we as a family only own a single iPad mini and only to use in the plane.  I also have a iPad mini I fly with for work and have used the larger iPad 2 as an EFB.  I have operated with my iPads where the air temp was 130 F before the door on the plane was closed.  I hear folks complaining about them shutting down in the heat.  I have never once had one shut down or even give a temp warning.  All have had an Otter Box Defender case or a Life Proof Case and I fly with it in my Mooney on a Ram Mount attached to the yoke.

It was the early models that were more susceptible to overheating.

Testing has shown when the iPad case gets to ~126° it will shutdown. If you’re an idiot and leave the ipad (if in its case, black of course)exposed to direct sunlight, you might be able to cause the problem.

For those of us who are not idiots, some simple precautions is all that is needed.

Tom

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hank said:

I close my flight plan on the radio with ATC, or else Tower closes it when I land. Your tablet requires the same signal source as a phone. 

You can also flight plan with an abacus but nowadays there are really cool new features like opening flight plans etc for tablet flying apps but they require connectivity. 

-Robert 

53 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

You can also flight plan with an abacus but nowadays there are really cool new features like opening flight plans etc for tablet flying apps but they require connectivity. 

-Robert 

So pay triple the price for your i-fruit and be happy!

I'm quite content letting ATC open and close my flight plans, especially if doing it myself is both extra work for me (not forgetting to do something yourself is work, plus doing it) AND extra money.

8 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

WiFi only isn’t really suitable for pilot EFB’s. You want reliable internet anywhere to close flight plans etc. 

-Robert

4 hours ago, Hank said:

Or you can open, cancel, close it via text message on your phone. If you are using 1800wxbrief.com it is easy to set up, you get text/email alerts to your phone prior to the flight, you get a text 30 minutes before that you just respond to if you want to open/modify/cancel the flight plan, and there is a text before your scheduled landing that you can just respond to and close the plan. If the cellular connection works on a tablet/iPad it is going to work on the phone as well. Pretty cool feature if you haven't tried it yet.

A couple screen shots of text messages, one of alerts and one where you would open the flight plan. You can also amend your departure time through the text messaging.

Screenshot_20191111-073705_Messages.thumb.jpg.b5ff40b861616983a8b4879b106deb7a.jpgScreenshot_20191111-073436_Messages.thumb.jpg.13b16c20b74e205b3b5d70dca65e107c.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hank said:

So pay triple the price for your i-fruit and be happy!

I'm quite content letting ATC open and close my flight plans, especially if doing it myself is both extra work for me (not forgetting to do something yourself is work, plus doing it) AND extra money.

Pretty much anytime with technology you can save money by going with the less seamless and less integration solution. 

ie you can you get pre departure Ifr clearance at remote airport by calling atc or you can press a button on your tablet and get it electronically and automatically upload it to your Garmin 650. 

-Robert 

6 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I assume you don’t like big G either.

Actually, my Garmin WAAS GPS works pretty well . . . . 

I'm guessing you were never an Odd Couple fan and missed Felix explaining, in court to the judge and jury, the dangers involved in "assuming." I saw it on reruns.  :D

Edited by Hank