iPhone users: how does the face recognition work with a headset on?

FloridaMan

It’s been hit or miss, mostly hit, but enough misses to notice.  I’m usually wearing a Lightspeed PFX or Tango.  Like @mgtrevor, sunglasses will occasionally mess with it, especially when reflecting bright sunlight.  For the most part, FaceID does work for me with sunglasses and a headset on, but it’s definitely not 100%.  Probably a 70% success rate.  And I have an iPhone XR.

From my limited iDevice back ground...

You can set multiple yous in its memory...

So thumb prints... multiple orientations, multiple fingers, probably even a wet finger....

expanding on that idea... add a picture of you using your headset on...

There are millions and millions of other people... and about four or five yous...

See how many yous you can put in the settings area...

Let us know if that works...:)

Best regards,

-a-

I have a flight planned for Saturday and could test with a Litespeed headset but I know it works with a toothbrush in my mouth, and with sunglasses, but I haven’t tested the combination together.  I only seem to have trouble if my phone screen is in bright sunlight or my sunglasses are reflecting sunlight right at the forward facing camera.  Of course my flight is in a Cessna so it doesn’t technically count if posting on this site, does it......

I have no use for my telephone in my aircraft.  So far the facial recognition has worked flawlessly, including with my hat on.  I'll try it with the Lightspeed and report back.  Of course, if the headset interferes, it could always be removed temporarily to achieve phone activation.

Edited by steingar
  • Like 1

It works great, but I found out it will not work with a pair of Method Seven sunglasses on.  Those lenses block the red spectrum of light like from the sun.  Evidently, they also block the infrared illuminator used for the face ID.  So, I have to tip up the sun glasses so it can see my eyes.  Otherwise, it works great - even with a headset and tipped sunglasses on.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 10:34 AM, PaulM said:

I've found that it will unlock with either the sunglasses on, or the A20 on.. but not reliably with both.   The algorithm just doesn't have enough datapoints to match. 

That's what I found as well - A20 OK, sunglasses OK, both NOPE. Now when i put on my headset, sunglasses, AND a baseball hat - not even my wife recognizes me, let alone my phone.

I turn all that crap off on all my phones or iPads, phone never leaves my pocket unless I'm using it, iPad is always with me as well when away from the house.... Think of this, off field landing and your face is messed up, finger is bloody or your bell has been rung and can't think straight enough to remember that password from hell or your out and your passenger can't use your phone. I don't have ANY sensitive info on any sort of computer

On 10/17/2019 at 9:19 AM, RobertGary1 said:

Why is your screen locking in the cockpit?  I disabled that on my flying iPad. As long as it’s plugged in it never locks. I wouldn’t want to be on the ILS and my charts go away. 

-Robert 

Hmmm . . . i-equipment and payment-required apps are such a pain. I use FREE Avare on my wifi-only Samsung tablet (equipped with GPS for <$200), and it locks out the screen when NOT RUNNING Avare--so I don't need to worry about losing charts, and the airport diagram pops up automatically on rollout.

This always-on feature keeps Avare up whether plugged in or not, as long as the cover is open. Should the cover accidentally close, it boots up as soon as I swipe the screen to turn it back on, and it draws a straight line from when it closed to where I am. 

No, I didn't drink the Kool-Aid and don't support high priced i-fruit . . . .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Hmmm . . . i-equipment and payment-required apps are such a pain. I use FREE Avare on my wifi-only Samsung tablet (equipped with GPS for <$200), and it locks out the screen when NOT RUNNING Avare--so I don't need to worry about losing charts, and the airport diagram pops up automatically on rollout.

This always-on feature keeps Avare up whether plugged in or not, as long as the cover is open. Should the cover accidentally close, it boots up as soon as I swipe the screen to turn it back on, and it draws a straight line from when it closed to where I am. 

Sidebar discussion...

In addition to not worrying about facial recognition and how to unlock my tablet, I have never had my Samsung tablet overheat and shut down, even with it in direct sun for hours flying during the summer in the southwest heat... (Our IT company calls i-phones "Fischer-Price my first smart-phone")

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming and discussion of all things i-related.

5 hours ago, Hank said:

That’s how I have my iPad set up too. I use WingX on the free CFI program but once I get my Garmin 375 I’ll switch to foreflight for the integration. 

-Robert 

Sidebar discussion...
In addition to not worrying about facial recognition and how to unlock my tablet, I have never had my Samsung tablet overheat and shut down, even with it in direct sun for hours flying during the summer in the southwest heat... (Our IT company calls i-phones "Fischer-Price my first smart-phone")
We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming and discussion of all things i-related.

If you search, you’ll see lots of complaints about Samsung tablets overheating as well. The IPad uses the backplate as a heatsink, most buy cases which block cooling air, add some sun and run a hi usage app like a EFB and you have a recipe for overheating. Solutions include:
Shade it from the sun
More modern devices are more efficient, with CPU to spare so not to run at 100%.
Drill holes in the back of the case (or remove from case entirely), and direct footwell vent up towards the ipad.

I haven’t had the problem after the first occurrence, here in south Florida.

Tom
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

If you search, you’ll see lots of complaints about Samsung tablets overheating as well. The IPad uses the backplate as a heatsink, most buy cases which block cooling air, add some sun and run a hi usage app like a EFB and you have a recipe for overheating. Solutions include:
Shade it from the sun
More modern devices are more efficient, with CPU to spare so not to run at 100%.
Drill holes in the back of the case (or remove from case entirely), and direct footwell vent up towards the ipad.

I haven’t had the problem after the first occurrence, here in south Florida.

Tom

I haven't done any searching about Samsung tablets overheating because I have never had that issue, I'm just speaking from my experience. It is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 that I've had for about 3 1/2 years, have run both Droid EFB and recently iFly GPS. Brightness almost all the way up, screen/app always on, connected via wifi to a Stratux getting traffic/weather fed to it, direct sun where the outside temp up at 10,500' was still in the upper 70's, and have not had it overheat even on 2-4 hour trips from SoCal to Phoenix and Salt Lake City. It is also in a case which sits in the ram mount on my yoke.

I do know that I constantly hear about the problems with iPads, glad it is not an issue you are dealing with.

• Like 1