G1000 and ADSB

GeorgePerry

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere before, but a quick search didn't turn up much.  Question for the group.  For later Ovations with G1000, what are the options for ADSB compliance?  I know that was an issue a while ago but I've been away from the forum for a while.  Trying to help a friend get into an Ovation and need the info to make informed decisions.  Thanks

The first thing you need to do is make sure the Ovation with the G1000 has WAAS, if not I don’t know what your going to do at this stage. If the G1000 has WAAS than the GTX-345R is the only one that integrates with the G1000.

If the Ovation has the GIA63W radios (WAAS upgrade) then you can be compliant with an upgrade (By Garmin) of the GTX33 to GTX33ES. (about $2K).   You can also choose the GTX345R for ADSB-IN. 

If the Ovation doesn't have the WAAS upgrade then you must use the GTX345R with the built in WAAS receiver, and duplex the GPS signal from one of the existing antenna. 

If you want the WAAS upgrade, it is no longer sold as a Kit by Garmin/Mooney, and you need to find used GIS63W's and have a shop like Don Maxwell's build the installation from that core.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

really only one - the GTX-345R. It will integrate with the g1000 with WAAS as well.

Exactly right.  Brian Kendrick and I had this discussion a few weeks back in reference to another Ovation belonging to someone located not far from me.

Steve

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PaulM said:

If the Ovation has the GIA63W radios (WAAS upgrade) then you can be compliant with an upgrade (By Garmin) of the GTX33 to GTX33ES. (about $2K).

This is what I just did.  Turn-around for Garmin to upgrade mine to -ES was about five days.  Way cheaper than the alternative.

-dan

I did the upgrade to 2008 Acclaim with G1000 WAAS. I used the 33ES (which is located in the tail).This gets you ADS-B out compliant. My understanding from two avionics shops is that this system I have will only give you traffic at a reduced status of absolute position only. No weather integration. So you buy a lot of transponder which you can’t use. The G1000 gets TIS traffic and GDL69 receives XM weather. So with all that said I use an iPad mini connected to sentry ADS-B in ($499) and ForeFlight so I get traffic and weather for free on it. ADS-B traffic info is the best. Plus touch screen iPad click on traffic for detailed info about target. 

Edited by Aspen2013