1962 Mooney M20C

ClassG

Asking $12,000 for the plane complete. Lycoming o-360 with 250hrs SMOH with chrome cylinders. No major damage or prop strikeThere are two small items that need service, ignition switch and flap actuator cylinder, and these are included. Plane has not flown but been hangar kept for 25 years, started every couple, and is complete. Exterior and interior rough.  Would like to get this in the hands of a vintage rebuild enthusiast, but if it must come apart, would consider selling engine and prop for $6, wing $5k, fuselage $5k.  8050-3 registration and bill of sale documented, log books are missing.

Located in southern Ohio, Tim 937-545-6066

Mooney port side.jpg

Mooney starboard2.jpg

Mooney cockpit.jpg

Mooney center belly pan2.jpg

Tim,

are all the log books missing or just the airframe? 

Hanger kept for 25 years but not flown??? paint is awfully faded...

no prop strike and 250 hours since OH but no log books.......

things are not adding up, you might want to give us better info

Edited by orionflt

1 hour ago, orionflt said:

Tim,

1 hour ago, orionflt said:

Tim,

orionfit,

Both logbooks are missing. Previous owner is very meticulous but can not find them, believes they were on board when last seen.  Agreed, 250hrs is a pretty stiff claim without logbooks, but that's what I know. The fellow and his dad purchased the plane in "68 and his father flew it to Spain, and it has a Deutch sticker on it.  He moved out of state and returned to visit and occasionally run the engine.  An acrylic repaint occurred early along the line because the striping is not original, and it is cracked and faded.

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard classg.

Any knowledge of any corrosion on it anywhere, inside or out?

The windows appear to be much newer than the paint... has there been any restoration going on to report?

Best regards,

-a-

caruaoam

The cockpit is bone dry and there is some oxidation around a few rivets on the bottom of the pan,  don't know about the inside frames, though personally suspect not. My guess is the windows are original but it has been repainted, and no restoration at all, totally stock plane (with autopilot)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClassG said:

orionfit,

Both logbooks are missing. Previous owner is very meticulous but can not find them, believes they were on board when last seen.  Agreed, 250hrs is a pretty stiff claim without logbooks, but that's what I know. The fellow and his dad purchased the plane in "68 and his father flew it to Spain, and it has a Deutch sticker on it.  He moved out of state and returned to visit and occasionally run the engine.  An acrylic repaint occurred early along the line because the striping is not original, and it is cracked and faded.

this has potential to polish up nicely, but in it's condition it will take someone who is willing to put in the time with no return value. I hate to say it but even if you gave this plane away you will have more in it to bring it up to speed then you could get back out of it. :( 

Parting it out will get more value but even that will be a crap shoot because of the missing logs. It had a gear up in 1983 and with out them there is no record of any repairs to the engine and propeller. hopefully there would be a 337 on file with the FAA for the airframe repairs.  if you can find the logs then your price for the engine\prop is good, with out them they should be overhauled before being installed on a certified aircraft. the prop will have the hub AD. 

I am sure you will get some offers for it, Hope it ends up back in the air. 

A classic example of how to let your airplane die a slow and painful death. With enough time and $100K or so, you might be able to turn this into a $50K airplane. Unfortunately it's true value is now measured by today's price on scrap aluminum.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

A classic example of how to let your airplane die a slow and painful death. With enough time and $100K or so, you might be able to turn this into a $50K airplane. Unfortunately it's true value is now measured by today's price on scrap aluminum.

This is a wonderful site and group of enthusiasts sharing common ground - pretty cool, and continued thanks for the constructive comments. We all know the problems, you all have investments that I hope you enjoy working on and flying.  This Mooney is likely for the next generation - get in on a '62 hot rod with great bones that is affordable for a hands -on shopsmith

4 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Agreed. Even if you wanted to resurrect one, why not start with a 1966 - 1967 “best of breed” model that has it’s log books instead?

• Like 1

I didn't like the curved windows at first.  but I saw a photo of my aircraft in flight, and saw how the curved windows reflected the curved lines in back.  it really is quite lovely.  Now I like it just fine.

Edited by steingar
  • Like 3

• 4 years later...