Something to Drool over.

Sabremech

10 hours ago, hammdo said:

@Sabremech

David, are you going to use the Van's BAF-360 for baffles? Those are damn nice!

-Don

Hi Don,

I’m not sure yet. I do have to make some of the baffling and can’t use all of the kit so I need to weigh out the cost versus me just making them all. 
Thanks,

David

Fitting continues. I feel as I have the front area solid now and am close to sending it back for the mold repair. Some final bodywork on my part and I’ll take it back for another set to be made. Baffling and induction systems to be worked on after I drop the cowling off. 
David

6053830D-C9E4-4779-9511-1D36F28B67A6.jpeg

10DCCD1A-1AC9-4C45-AB3D-188690602E31.jpeg

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Fitting continues. I feel as I have the front area solid now and am close to sending it back for the mold repair. Some final bodywork on my part and I’ll take it back for another set to be made. Baffling and induction systems to be worked on after I drop the cowling off. 
David

6053830D-C9E4-4779-9511-1D36F28B67A6.jpeg

10DCCD1A-1AC9-4C45-AB3D-188690602E31.jpeg

Hey David, are you making those cheek panels just for visual inspection purposes or are you going to be able to pull bottom spark plugs also?  

I’m the head on photo, is that just an optical illusion that makes the hump over the #1 cylinder look bigger than the other side? Or do you need to do that because #1 is farther forward?

looking great!

Edited by Browncbr1

2 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

Hey David, are you making those cheek panels just for visual inspection purposes or are you going to be able to pull bottom spark plugs also?  

I’m the head on photo, is that just an optical illusion that makes the hump over the #1 cylinder look bigger than the other side? Or do you need to do that because #1 is farther forward?

looking great!

The cheek panels are mainly for inspection but I’ll also have the option for louvers  in that panel for say the turbo charged airplanes for additional air flow. 
I hope that it’s an optical illusion! It’s also not sitting all the way together and not tight to to firewall flange.

Thanks,

David

• Like 2

David
6053830D-C9E4-4779-9511-1D36F28B67A6.thumb.jpeg.8fdeb43a1368e2cea122d258b3daa375.jpeg
10DCCD1A-1AC9-4C45-AB3D-188690602E31.thumb.jpeg.723c8d44c10c9be686165cd2c379129a.jpeg

Looking really good David!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
[mention=7497]Sabremech[/mention]  hey David, I’m quite dehydrated from drooling the past two months.   Do you have any updates that might quench my thirst?

Try drooling for 4 years… or is 5 years?
e1f3d9b07a1f1b65d42e588e120186ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Marauder said:

Try drooling for 4 years… or is 5 years?
e1f3d9b07a1f1b65d42e588e120186ec.jpg

It’s killing me to take so long!  Marauder is still first if he’s still wanting it when I get over my hurdles. 
Since I sold my Mooney a while ago, I didn’t have an airplane to fit parts to and prove my kits as I assemble them. I purchased a forward fuselage this spring along with an engine mount, prop hub, an spinner back plate. I’m waiting on O-360 crankshaft bearings so I can assemble the mock up engine and know that all my pieces fit correctly. I was hoping to find a used set of standard bearings as I don’t need airworthy parts. If anyone has any laying around and wants to part with them, let me know. The bearings are the last items I need to ensure my cowling fits correctly and then I can have the mold corrected. 
Still making progress, just way slower than I want to be.

Thanks,

David

Edited by Sabremech
  • Like 2

It’s killing me to take so long!  Marauder is still first if he’s still wanting it when I get over my hurdles. 
Since I sold my Mooney a while ago, I didn’t have an airplane to fit parts to and prove my kits as I assemble them. I purchased a forward fuselage this spring along with an engine mount, prop hub, an spinner back plate. I’m waiting on O-360 crankshaft bearings so I can assemble the mock up engine and know that all my pieces fit correctly. I was hoping to find a used set of standard bearings as I don’t need airworthy parts. If anyone has any laying around and wants to part with them, let me know. The bearings are the last items I need to ensure my cowling fits correctly and then I can have the mold corrected. 
Still making progress, just way slower than I want to be.
Thanks,
David

David - I’m still game for the new cowl. I know how busy you have been and appreciate your efforts. Just let me know when!

Just now, Marauder said:

David - I’m still game for the new cowl. I know how busy you have been and appreciate your efforts. Just let me know when!

Absolutely will. Thank you,

David

• 2 months later...
47 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Something different to drool over.  A former Mooney owner went from one end of efficiency to the other.  It’s hard to work on when it’s inverted!

41415F1A-6B88-40E0-984E-0F4D15B836B8.jpeg

There are a few of those around here.    Yeah, they're the opposite of practical or efficient.    Friggin' enormous.

• 7 months later...

Just wanted to bump this:

I have David's old Mooney with the Gen 1 Cowling.  Wanted to show what she does with that version.

I had a True air speed of 177 MPH (shows 180 but I was moving around the cabin getting the camera).

9 GPH, 6000 ft, WOT 2400 RPM.  Flight to KGGG IFR (East Texas Regional).  This thing really does 154 KTS True as David said!

-Don

IMG_2045 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2046 (Medium).JPG

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MooneyJohn said:

I would like to hear about any updates, also.

The third cowling is getting ready for the mold to be made. This will be a cowling for the E, F and a PMA for the J. Baffling is being drawn to cut out multiple sets. Air induction parts are manufactured and waiting for the rest of the parts to be drawn and cut. I will have 10 new air induction boxes for E and F models. 

Moving forward slowly but parts are being manufactured and drawings made for the PMA and STC process. 
Thanks,

David

• Like 5