Something to Drool over.

Sabremech

1 hour ago, Sabremech said:

Moving forward slowly but parts are being manufactured and drawings made for the PMA and STC process. 
Thanks,

David

After the completed drawings/documents/etc are submitted to the FAA, how long does the PMA and STC process take?

10 hours ago, MikeOH said:

After the completed drawings/documents/etc are submitted to the FAA, how long does the PMA and STC process take?

There’s no telling with the FAA. Last PMA took me 2 years because they say they work safety items first. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hammdo said:

No carb probably makes cowl design easier…

gonna be nice!

-Don

Cowling for the C and G’s still coming. Landing light placement is an issue due to muffler location and clearance needed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Cowling for the C and G’s still coming. Landing light placement is an issue due to muffler location and clearance needed.

Maybe look at non-traditional, flat LED arrays that give more packaging options?   The requirements for landing lights are very loose (provides illumination, safe for operation).

21 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

The problem with the J is there’s 4 versions: with and without ram air, with and without landing light.

I know of the with and without Ram Air. Mine will  not have Ram Air. Was not aware of the no landing light. I don’t see that in the J IPC. I see two P/N of cowlings and the main difference being a larger oil service door on the last few years of the J. 
Thanks,

David

7 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

I know of the with and without Ram Air. Mine will  not have Ram Air. Was not aware of the no landing light. I don’t see that in the J IPC. I see two P/N of cowlings and the main difference being a larger oil service door on the last few years of the J. 
Thanks,

David

I'm not aware of a no-landing light J config either... late models had extra wing lights, but I don't believe they eliminated the cowl light.  I concur with the no ram air choice for the J (or vintage with J induction bits)... closing the hole in the cowl is the most tedious part of the removal, so leaving it out in your product is the right choice.  

• Like 1

I'm not aware of a no-landing light J config either... late models had extra wing lights, but I don't believe they eliminated the cowl light.  I concur with the no ram air choice for the J (or vintage with J induction bits)... closing the hole in the cowl is the most tedious part of the removal, so leaving it out in your product is the right choice.  

I have a student with ‘90 J with landing lights in both wings and none in the cowling. this is a 28V J - and probably when they started that so i think tom is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 10:46 PM, kortopates said:

I have a student with ‘90 J with landing lights in both wings and none in the cowling. this is a 28V J - and probably when they started that so i think tom is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a data point, 1988 J 205 still had ram air and single light in cowl. I can confirm 1990 J had lights in wings. 

Thanks,
David

See page 33-40-01.

• 8 months later...

This is an incredibly exciting project, I spent a few hours reading over older posts and the work that has been accomplished so far. Hoping the PMA process is running smoothly and that the FAA isn't dragging this out. 

I read it again recently to and had a question for @Sabremech.

the ovation and acclaim both eliminated cowl flaps with the cowling design. Wouldn’t eliminating that complexity from the new cowl make it simpler to manufacture?

Or does that make the FAA approval more difficult?