Something to Drool over.

Sabremech

On 11/11/2019 at 3:36 PM, Sabremech said:

I’m hoping to make it available in the first quarter of 2020 to anyone who wants to install it with a 337 Field approval with their FSDO. That will depend on my ability to get baffling sets made up along with induction systems. As for the spinner, you’ll need a 201 style spinner, p/n A2295-5(P) for those with a 2 blade Hartzell propeller. Oil cooler relocation can be done using LASAR’s STC as long as it fits your model airplane. I have no intention of including ram air as testing has found it to be not nearly as effective with the air filter inlet moved inside the cowling for pressurized air. The cost to include it outweighed the benefit. No idea on price yet as I don’t know what they will cost me. 

I will be installing the cowling on Marauders F model hopefully soon but now I’m beyond when I thought I’d be ready once again and into the crappy weather season. I’ve also decided that I need to install it on my C to get the remaining installation data I need for the C & G model airplanes. 

Thanks,

David

Do you foresee an STC being an option in the future?.  Would be great to get one of these installed on our Canadian registered M20C.

On 11/11/2019 at 4:00 PM, eman1200 said:

Interesting. And improvement #s? Cooling? Speed?

Varies with each aircraft. My first cowling mod saw 2 airplanes gain 4-6 knots and 2 with no change in speed noticed. Cooling improved on all 4 when I modified the air inlet openings to a larger round inlet. 

5 hours ago, cctsurf said:

Will this fit over the powerflow exhaust on the 'c models?

Thanks!

unknown at this time as I haven’t fit a new lower cowling to a PFS equipped airplane.

4 hours ago, rbridges said:

just out of curiosity, what are those going for?

Also unknown at this time as I don’t have a lower cowling complete to give me my cost. 

Thanks, 
David

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 67 m20F chump said:

I’m interested in your cowl.  Would standard J baffles work on it?  A company in Alaska makes it so you wouldn’t have to do duplicate work.

Any ball park on the price? 

I believe some minor modification of the front 2 cylinders baffling may be required. I will be installing one on a J for the FAA/PMA cowling.

3 hours ago, Reid said:

Do you foresee an STC being an option in the future?.  Would be great to get one of these installed on our Canadian registered M20C.

Yes, absolutely. It will take some time and I’m going to contact Transport Canada while the STC process is in work with the FAA to hopefully make it available to Canadian customers.

Thanks,

David

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, MoonFlyer68 said:

Since I just saw someone asking about LoPresti cowling I thought perhaps I would see if there are any updates on the Sabrecowl project?  My plane could really use a paint job but I would like to get this cowling installed first.  Thanks

@Sabremech, is there a status update?

• 7 months later...
15 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

@Sabremech  any update on your cowl project?      

Good morning,

Its been on the back burner for the last year with life getting in the way and the composite shop having major issues keeping talented mold makers. I picked up the cowling earlier this year and have made the necessary repairs to get the top and bottom cowlings to fit together. I have to get the finish right as I don’t want any mold issues going forward if I can help that from happening. 
It will happen and I will get them done. I’m hopeful to get a good restart after the first of the year. 
Thank you.

David

9DB35D2C-2AEC-400B-942D-CFBBDAEF7511.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2021 at 11:49 AM, N9405V said:

Way to be tenacious! Have you flown one yet or are you still in the design/fabrication phase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t installed one of these yet to fly. I was fitting it to the C that I use to own when the fit issue with the top cowling showed. I’m close to having it ready to fix the mold or a new mold made depending on what the composite shop wants to do. I’m ever so hopeful to get the time opened up after the holidays to wrap up my part and turn it back over to the shop. Keeping my fingers crossed. 
Thanks,

David

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sabremech said:

I haven’t installed one of these yet to fly. I was fitting it to the C that I use to own when the fit issue with the top cowling showed. I’m close to having it ready to fix the mold or a new mold made depending on what the composite shop wants to do. I’m ever so hopeful to get the time opened up after the holidays to wrap up my part and turn it back over to the shop. Keeping my fingers crossed. 
Thanks,

David

Great to hear this project is still going forward! I'm hoping your mod for the C/G is still a high priority.  I'm guessing that version requires more modification than the fuel injected birds that don't have a doghouse. However I suspect you learned quite a lot while optimizing the design of your first version on these planes.  The CHTs and getting rid of my decrepit doghouse, which is more RTV than aluminum at this point, are the majors motivator for me - any gain in speed and aesthetic dividends are just gravy.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

Good morning. I’ve been holding out on information so as to not seem to keep promising amid more delays. It’s looking up and I recently purchased a forward fuselage section so I can build up baffling sets along with fit cowlings as much as possible in my shop. Progress.

Thanks,

David

• Like 7

Good morning. I’ve been holding out on information so as to not seem to keep promising amid more delays. It’s looking up and I recently purchased a forward fuselage section so I can build up baffling sets along with fit cowlings as much as possible in my shop. Progress.
Thanks,
David

That’s great to hear David. Been waiting to see your work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1