Something to Drool over.

Sabremech

The first cowling parts have been pulled from the mold. Here’s a picture of the first top cowling and it is a very nice part. I was surprised at how light it is. The lower cowling is coming soon and I now understand the true amount of work to get it to the plug stage for making a mold.

David

BED11666-A4E7-4036-A567-DCE995EBE338.jpeg

• Like 24

Just now, Sabremech said:

The first cowling parts have been pulled from the mold. Here’s a picture of the first top cowling and it is a very nice part. I was surprised at how light it is. The lower cowling is coming soon and I now understand the true amount of work to get it to the plug stage for making a mold.

David

BED11666-A4E7-4036-A567-DCE995EBE338.jpeg

Amazing! Can't wait! :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bradp said:

I want to see the mold! That must be the real work of art.  Is that just pulled and cleaned up / trimmed or gel coated after the pull?  

Hi Brad,

That is just how it comes out of the mold. Still needs to be trimmed but it is smooth and shiny.

David

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure if this is the most current thread on the Sabrecowl or not, but I am definitely anxious to get my hands on this for my M20F.   My cowlings were already looking rough, but after a short flight today I found a good size crack in the front of the lower cowl.  Not sure if it happened today or if it came back from annual that way.  Unfortunately I was out of country and had the plane ferried back after the annual.

I already wanted this Sabrecowl,  but now I want it even more.

20191110_124156.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sdflysurf said:

I have a 1968 M20F.  Any idea on when it would be available and approx cost?

What mods would I have to make to spinner, air filter, oil cooler, and ram air intake?

I’m hoping to make it available in the first quarter of 2020 to anyone who wants to install it with a 337 Field approval with their FSDO. That will depend on my ability to get baffling sets made up along with induction systems. As for the spinner, you’ll need a 201 style spinner, p/n A2295-5(P) for those with a 2 blade Hartzell propeller. Oil cooler relocation can be done using LASAR’s STC as long as it fits your model airplane. I have no intention of including ram air as testing has found it to be not nearly as effective with the air filter inlet moved inside the cowling for pressurized air. The cost to include it outweighed the benefit. No idea on price yet as I don’t know what they will cost me. 

I will be installing the cowling on Marauders F model hopefully soon but now I’m beyond when I thought I’d be ready once again and into the crappy weather season. I’ve also decided that I need to install it on my C to get the remaining installation data I need for the C & G model airplanes. 

Thanks,

David

• Like 4

I’m hoping to make it available in the first quarter of 2020 to anyone who wants to install it with a 337 Field approval with their FSDO. That will depend on my ability to get baffling sets made up along with induction systems. As for the spinner, you’ll need a 201 style spinner, p/n A2295-5(P) for those with a 2 blade Hartzell propeller. Oil cooler relocation can be done using LASAR’s STC as long as it fits your model airplane. I have no intention of including ram air as testing has found it to be not nearly as effective with the air filter inlet moved inside the cowling for pressurized air. The cost to include it outweighed the benefit. No idea on price yet as I don’t know what they will cost me. 
I will be installing the cowling on Marauders F model hopefully soon but now I’m beyond when I thought I’d be ready once again and into the crappy weather season. I’ve also decided that I need to install it on my C to get the remaining installation data I need for the C & G model airplanes. 
Thanks,
David

Interesting. And improvement #s? Cooling? Speed?

5 hours ago, cctsurf said:

Will this fit over the powerflow exhaust on the 'c models?

Thanks!

Perhaps not a complete or even correct answer but I have the first version of the SabreCowl on my M20E. I already had the type 2 PFS exhaust and the new cowl fit well. I know David intends to make the version 2 cowl compatible with the widest assortment of models possible so I suspect it will fit a C with PFS. 

We have a friend with a PFS on a J. He went with a Lopresti Cowl and had to take the plane down to FL where PFS folks customized their plumbing to fit the Lopresti.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 3:36 PM, Sabremech said:

I’ve also decided that I need to install it on my C to get the remaining installation data I need for the C & G model airplanes. 

Happy Dance GIF - Happy Dance Smiley GIFs 

Here's where the old school Beechtalk-style emojis would best convey my emotions.

Edited by DXB
  • Like 2