Used 1977 M20J’s

Ken4741

regardless of what you buy...it is expensive to fix up a plane....you are better off finding exactly (or close) to what you will want out of a plane (even though it may be above your price range) than what it will cost you later to fix up a plane....including engine, paint, corrosion, avionics, autopilot, tank resealing, LED lighting  Maintenance items like tires, brakes, donuts,  are manageable.  I started with a really nice hanger queen with a worn out engine for $65,000...and I now have a real nice IFR machine with a factory rebuilt and all the trimmings for over $150k...My biggest regret is that I think I could have found what I now have for about $120k

• Like 6

Yes, 77 was the first year of the Js.   It was basically a continuation and upgrade of the F model with a bunch of aero improvements, a new panel, and some other things.

I think the differences may come down to personal preferences.   I have a 77, partly because I prefer the throttle quadrant, and I think the crank handle for the gear deployment is a little preferable to the lawnmower starter style on the later editions.

There's nothing inherently undesirable about a 77, and it is essentially an upgraded F model.   Personally I think it's a sweet spot in the evolution, but everybody's tastes will be different.   

• Like 2

The 77's are some of the lightest J's too, so if useful load is critical don't exclude them from your search.

I'm very slowly evolving my 77 with later model upgrades. I like to wrench and tinker, and I'm a frugal bastard (hence owning a Mooney!) but not everyone is like me. I think I might be the only one crazy enough to delete the throttle quadrant and install linear controls from an 81. Sounded easy going in, but required changing the nose wheel well (2 parts), center console, ventilation system, flap and trim indicators and cables, etc. Wee bit of work, and I bought a complete salvage plane to enable the swap. My right knee is happy with the result, like Jim said!

Since all J's could be called old now, I'd focus on what particular features are most important to you, and find the best airframe you can that checks the boxes and fits that budget. Better to over-pay a little and get a great one versus buying a clearance rack junker for less and trying to improve it.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The one major gotcha...

If your Mooney has a wooden tail... it is time to acquire a metal one and have them swapped...

Other than that... All Mooneys are good. The PPI is the best way to determine that your plane conforms to the original design... and hasn’t been altered accidentally...

For the most part, Each Mooney line improved year after year...

If you are buying an M20M... get the Bravo... the TLSs have mostly been converted...

Don’t forget the M20L... so few of them around, know what you are buying....

The only way to know if the newer model is worth it... is to decide on your own... PT20J has supplied the list above...

Lots of fine details that often can be updated from one year to the next...

The most recent Js have amazing instrument panels compared to the early ones...

But, even they have timed out over the last 20years...

94 was a really cool year... Js, Ks, Ms, and Os... all being manufactured at the same time...

IiRC... Pp thoughts only...

best regards,

-a-