Mooney Aircraft Pilots Association

Ken4741

There was a mailing from MAPA last week that talked about the changes for establishing/renewing membership this year. I had set up auto-renewal through PayPal and the mailing specifically addressed that will not work right now. I have to admit I didn't digest the whole letter, just enough to understand that I needed to send them a check this year. Calling with a credit card will work too, I assume, but I don't remember reading that in my cursory scan.

Cheers,
Rick

• 2 years later...

I'm going to necrobump this and ask if there are any updated contacts for MAPA?  I've emailed Jenn, called the phone number listed on the website, even stalked alleged MAPA officers on LinkedIn, all to no avail.  I just bought an M20J and want to become a member to access the materials.

Thanks in advance.

8 minutes ago, WheelPantsOff said:

I'm going to necrobump this and ask if there are any updated contacts for MAPA?  I've emailed Jenn, called the phone number listed on the website, even stalked alleged MAPA officers on LinkedIn, all to no avail.  I just bought an M20J and want to become a member to access the materials.

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations on getting your J!  Regardless of MAPA membership, you should note this site:

https://mooneypilots.org/news/2021/2022-mapa-safety-foundation-ppp   Next events are Oshkosh, WI and then Reading, PA.  Are you near enough to either?  (add some personal info to your profile, such as home area or airport)

This is coordinated with MAPA, but you do not need to be a member to sign up.  This is a training class on Mooney flying, ownership, and maintenance.  It is worthwhile, especially if new to Mooneys.  I have attended 3 or 4 of them.  The material is updated over the years, and the class includes flight time that counts as a BFR and IPC.  

Not wanting to bash Jenn or anyone else in the community, but I have also had trouble getting in touch with them.  

-dan

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bolter said:

Congratulations on getting your J!  Regardless of MAPA membership, you should note this site:

https://mooneypilots.org/news/2021/2022-mapa-safety-foundation-ppp   Next events are Oshkosh, WI and then Reading, PA.  Are you near enough to either?  (add some personal info to your profile, such as home area or airport)

This is coordinated with MAPA, but you do not need to be a member to sign up.  This is a training class on Mooney flying, ownership, and maintenance.  It is worthwhile, especially if new to Mooneys.  I have attended 3 or 4 of them.  The material is updated over the years, and the class includes flight time that counts as a BFR and IPC.  

Not wanting to bash Jenn or anyone else in the community, but I have also had trouble getting in touch with them.  

-dan

Hello Dan,

Thank you!  Yes, I updated some profile information.  I was looking at the Mooney Safety website and am trying to re-arrange some stuff for the October session.  Next month is a little short notice for me.  I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has had trouble getting in touch with them.  I was giving them the benefit of the doubt during Sun N Fun and Oshkosh but I would like to see some of their training stuff.  I was a partner in a Mite a long time ago and for better or worse forgot it all.

Thank you again.  I'm excited to get back into the saddle of a performance single!

• Like 1

Welcome aboard WPO!

Let us know how you make out with the MAPA folks…

It is being run by a new crew… 

For an interesting e-magazine… find the MooneyFlyer….

:)

Don’t be ashamed to get some good transition training….

Best regards,

-a-

Outside of the 'occasional' mag, not much in materials. The MAPA safety course is where the goods are... (members may get a discount on training)

I'm a member but that is really where the value is. All of the older material has not been migrated to the 'new' site....

I took the course, had to pay additional fee to the insurance company to take it (how dum is that!). Enjoyed the training...

Just an honest appraisal...

-Don

The MAPA PPPis a worthwhile experience, including travel from home and back. It's time for me to go again.

My first PPP was two months after I finished insurance dual; having learned to fly the plane, MAPA taught me how to fly it correctly. The BFR / IPC sign-off is nice, too, along with WINGS credit.

But having a great CFII sitting beside me, with hundreds or thousands of hours experience in the same model Mooney, is great and unbeatable!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hammdo said:

Outside of the 'occasional' mag, not much in materials. The MAPA safety course is where the goods are... (members may get a discount on training)

I'm a member but that is really where the value is. All of the older material has not been migrated to the 'new' site....

I took the course, had to pay additional fee to the insurance company to take it (how dum is that!). Enjoyed the training...

-Don

Which insurance company?  With Old Republic, I have never had to pay for the MAPA requested letter to indemnify them for the training flights.  (several courses attended).  Maybe @Parker_Woodruff can say when that is an added cost (such as not having a minimum coverage level)?

• Like 1

It was a new requirement from the insurance company that Falcon had. I'm not the only one either. If I plan to take MAPA, the fee is added ($250). 

I'm removing the MAPA coverage this time as I took the course last year and it was automatically added this past term ...

I may look into Avemco after I get my IFR and 500 hours real soon (hopefully soon ;o)...

-Don

5 minutes ago, hammdo said:

It was a new requirement from the insurance company that Falcon had. I'm not the only one either. If I plan to take MAPA, the fee is added ($250). 

I'm removing the MAPA coverage this time as I took the course last year and it was automatically added this past term ...

I may look into Avemco after I get my IFR and 500 hours real soon (hopefully soon ;o)...

-Don

Falcon is supposedly their affiliated insurance provider.  They need to address that.  Or dump them and call @Parker_Woodruff

8 hours ago, hammdo said:

-Don

I see.  I was under the impression that there was a treasure trove of materials behind the firewall of membership that I would have access to.  It looks like I'll get that in October in PA.  I'd still like someone to call me back and take my money, though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 3:33 PM, Pinecone said:

I would love to join, if someone would process my membership.

Yea, me too. Cashed my check months ago and unresponsive since.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:40 PM, WheelPantsOff said:

I see.  I was under the impression that there was a treasure trove of materials behind the firewall of membership that I would have access to.  It looks like I'll get that in October in PA.  I'd still like someone to call me back and take my money, though.

Heck, at this point I just as soon have my money back.

I have corresponded with and talked to Lela Hughes from MAPA concerning the PPP in October. She was very prompt with responding. She may be able to direct y’all to the right place concerning MAPA membership questions. 

Lela Hughes 210 two eight nine 6939 

lelahughes 49 @ @gmail.com (no spaces)

YMMV

On 9/1/2022 at 7:27 PM, Stetson20 said:

I have corresponded with and talked to Lela Hughes from MAPA concerning the PPP in October. She was very prompt with responding. She may be able to direct y’all to the right place concerning MAPA membership questions. 

Lela Hughes 210 two eight nine 6939 

lelahughes 49 @ @gmail.com (no spaces)

YMMV

Thank you!  I'll reach out to Lela tomorrow.

ETA:  Spoke to Lela and she was wonderful.  She's going to elevate my request to Jenn and we'll see what happens.

Edited by WheelPantsOff
Content
  • Like 1