‘78 J.

jasona900

A great airplane that is not getting flown as much as it should.   Based at Gillespie (KSEE) in San Diego.   Plenty more pics and  complete logs.  $90k.

'78 M20J 201 TTAF: 3904 TSMO: 1882.  Annual due March 2020.  Nicely equipped with a Garmin GNS-480 and STEC-55X autopilot. ADS-B out compliant with a Garmin GTX 330ES transponder.  PMA-450A (four place)intercom, EI UBG-16 engine monitor, Shadin Miniflo-L fuel flow. IFR inspection completed in March 2019.

389A0075-5F08-4640-B1C5-ED9AD841F2DD.jpeg

D9A1B954-6403-4796-B531-1EAF0B2774BF.jpeg

EAB680CE-0A08-4B1C-81F3-C0AC106B5BA4.jpeg

E7734727-5787-4BCC-A476-321B1C66C560.jpeg

F999EA40-C810-43A5-A308-F386059D140B.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

@LANCECASPER @gsxrpilot

Hey guys, please tell me what you would do with this panel?

Hope all is well. 

I probably wouldn't do anything to start. It will do coupled WAAS approaches, it has an engine monitor and a nice intercom. I would start saving money for an engine rebuild since it's near TBO. Down the road it might be a good candidate for a Dynon Skyview HDX when they get the autopilot approved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

I probably wouldn't do anything to start. It will do coupled WAAS approaches, it has an engine monitor and a nice intercom. I would start saving money for an engine rebuild since it's near TBO. Down the road it might be a good candidate for a Dynon Skyview HDX when they get the autopilot approved.

Honestly couldn't have said it better myself.   I have found the GNS-480 paired with the STEC-55x to be incredibly functional and reliable.   Shortly after takeoff I can engage GPSS steering, dial in a vertical speed until I hit and select my cruising altitude... and then not touch the controls until the DH, all within .02 NM of course centerline.  It still amazes me every time.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

@LANCECASPER @gsxrpilot

Hope all is well. 

You didn't ask me but I love Avionics shopping ;) I would leave it for about 50 hrs, fly the plane and see what you like.  My last Mooney had a similar panel with a 480 I would wait till it broke or I just got tired of it but be careful the more you use the 480 the more you will like it. Then I would install an Avidyne 540 and JPI EDM900, rearrange the avionics a little to make it look nice and fly the hell out of that beautiful J!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

@LANCECASPER @gsxrpilot

Hope all is well. 

Panel needs serious work!

Get a Sensorcon CO detector and cover the opening in the console.

Serious work completed.;)

But in all seriousness, do get a better CO detector, especially as we are moving into colder weather flying.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

But in all seriousness, do get a better CO detector, especially as we are moving into colder weather flying.

Spot on!  Add a sensorcon and go.

If I didn't have my K stuck in my hanger burning a hole in my pocket I would be buying this airplane.  Jason and I were in the same element into OSH with the 2018 Caravan.  This airplane is really, really clean and Jason is the kind of owner you want to be the previous owner of your airplane. 

As far as panel upgrades. It doesn't need anything, but  I would consider adding a G5 HSI.  Then a JPI900 in the location of the CDI that the G5 replaced. Then I would just stash away money and wait for good reason to spend it. 

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

@LANCECASPER @gsxrpilot

Hope all is well. 

This is a really nice J and is a good candidate for a full modern panel. And if you're gonna do a full panel refresh, you can save a lot of money if it already has a good autopilot and WAAS. This has both. Having said that, I'm in full agreement with @LANCECASPER, I wouldn't do a thing until after the engine refresh in two or three years.

The only thing I'd like to have that this one doesn't, is an HSI. But that is easily remedied. 

Ultimately I'd add an EDM 900, CiES fuel senders, then an Aspen PFD which would eliminate both CDI's, an IFD540, then an Aspen MFD, then... never mind, just go fly it.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Agreed!  And I have a Sensorcon already.  ;) I usually attach it with Velcro to the blanked off instrument cover.  But working on a better, more permanent attachment.

• Like 3

Sorry for the late reply, I have been getting the store ready for the reintroduction of the Chicken sandwich, which is tomorrow by the way. Had to fix a fryer and get new employees trained. Not going to get caught with my pants down this time.

Thanks for all the replies.

David

On 11/2/2019 at 8:46 AM, Mcstealth said:

Sorry for the late reply, I have been getting the store ready for the reintroduction of the Chicken sandwich, which is tomorrow by the way. Had to fix a fryer and get new employees trained. Not going to get caught with my pants down this time.

Thanks for all the replies.

David

That could be painful if you are standing in front of the fryer.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...