m20j panel upgrades and new interior

37 minutes ago, mooneypilot said:

Thanks! I didn’t realize there was a whole website for Mooney geeks like me. 

In my teenage years my dad had two Mooney’s a 79 201 and a g1000 bravo. About 4 years ago he sold them off and stepped into a TBM 850. So we have been suffering mooney withdrawals 6 months ago this beautiful mse fell into our lap and we’ve been working on it for about 3 months and we are nearing the end of this retrofit. more pics and videos to come!

Avionics list

g500 txi, g5, gtn750, gtn650, and a gfc500 digital autopilot  

What’s the difference in height (above panel) between the g5 and the TXi?

@gsxrpilot What is the height above the panel for your flush mounted jpi900 and g5?  I think you used the JPI mount for both?

1 hour ago, RLCarter said:

@gsxrpilot, curious what the “Ring” is for 

157E63F5-669C-4FAD-872E-C2ABCA1C6B1B.jpeg.c9c1b8514eadbf85feacc0b5c1528987.jpeg

Nothing gets by this crowd ;)

There are a couple of velcro strips attached to that ring that I can use to depress and hold the button on my vernier throttle, effectively making it a push/pull throttle. I use that configuration during formation flying. I like the vernier for most operations but when flying formation there is constant throttle adjustment needed to stay in position and the thumb gets tired holding the button down. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

How can a G5 be mounted with a JPI flush mounted bracket?

The JPI and the G5 are almost the same size, the only difference the G5 being square and the JPI being rectangular. By nipping off one side of the JPI bracket, it holds the G5 securely with mounting screws on three sides. It was easier than making a bracket in the shop as Garmin didn't offer a flush mount kit when I installed mine. They do now. 

Both instruments also have a 3" round section on the back which is how the bracket holds the instrument. Those are exactly the same.

I think Crystal Avionics did a great job on my panel and the flush mount instruments look so much better than surface mount.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

Quite a transformation. Interesting that you opted for a black panel. I'm looking to do away with my black, simulated cowhide panel in favor of either gray or the tan that you threw away.

I guess that's why they make stuff in different colors.  I really like the look of the black and if/when I get the chance to redo my panel, it will be the flat black that the OP used.  That said, the tan he is throwing away looks WAY better than the panel I have now!