Wife wants to vacation in Maine, fly or drive?

Well, one should always be careful of what they wish for. Mrs. Sleepingsquirrel wants to vacation in Maine. She has already determined that driving time would be about 24 hours. I have determined that flight time is about 8 hours. She has thrown down the gauntlet and challenged me to fly us there! What do I do now? I have a sister in Ohio which doesn't add much to the route but would require an overnight layover( KPHD).  Then on to Saratoga Springs (K5b2) for fuel and then KRKD for Camden Maine.

I've  been to Maine and didn't leave anything there but she is positive that she needs to see Camden and the Windjammers there. Oh! how did I deserve this?

Any advice? I realistically believe that 2 hour legs would be good for us.

The BEST thing for my Mooney was the wife buying a house in the mountains of New Mexico. The plane makes the run in 1.2 hours instead of a 5 hour drive. Now she has started to pay the hanger rent and reminds me of annual time and the insurance is due. I can't tell you how many flights I have made hauling she and her girlfriends for a "GIRLS WEEKEND".  Am ready to go when SHE is ready!

larry ( way more than a pretty face. I have a Mooney)

Squirrel--

Please take your lovely wife somewhere that she wants to go! There is no better way to get her to fall in love with the plane and encourage you to stay current. Be advised that a trip that long, VFR, may have some delays . . . But PHD is a nice airport, just watch the only tree in the cemetery on final, that's why the runway is displaced.

Gatlinburg is about an hour from here, PHD is also about an hour the other way, if that helps you with planning any. PHD is our "local" avionics shop [1-800-GPS-DUDE if you need any Garmin work done . . . ] The mountains are really pretty flying over; personally I would hold at least 8500 VFR or 9000 IFR. I usually go towards either Hotlanta or Raleigh at 7500 or higher, but the hills are taller on your route unless you deviate well east of Knoxville; although I recently went roundtrip Huntington-Nashville at 5000 msl down/6000 msl back up due to a cold front and low freezing level. [approx. 2 hours each way]

Have a good time, let her take scenic pictures, and try to sneak a few of her in the plane with either mountains or coastline visible out the window behind her.

Quote: sleepingsquirrel

Well, one should always be careful of what they wish for. Mrs. Sleepingsquirrel wants to vacation in Maine. She has already determined that driving time would be about 24 hours. I have determined that flight time is about 8 hours. She has thrown down the gauntlet and challenged me to fly us there! What do I do now? I have a sister in Ohio which doesn't add much to the route but would require an overnight layover( KPHD).  Then on to Saratoga Springs (K5b2) for fuel and then KRKD for Camden Maine.

I've  been to Maine and didn't leave anything there but she is positive that she needs to see Camden and the Windjammers there. Oh! how did I deserve this?

Any advice? I realistically believe that 2 hour legs would be good for us.

Quote: JimR

What serendipity.  I just layed out a flight plan from my home in Florida to Maine a few days ago.  I'm looking for about a 1000 nm flight to somewhere I've never been before for later this Fall and it fit the bill perfectly.  Glad to know that KRKD is a good option.  I was thinking about KBST.  Has anyone ever flown in to Belfast?  To me it is more about the journey than the destination, but perhaps I'll have to reconsider.

Jim  

What a great PIREP!  Thanks very much.  It sounds like KBST is exactly my kind of place.  If we end up making the trip we will be sure to pack the Dahon bikes and to check out Young's Lobster and perhaps Ilseboro as well. 

Thanks again for your help.  I really appreciate it.

Jim 

OK, I guess that is too harsh!  I say we let the squirel drive as his wife sleeps (Now I get  it, the sleeping part of the sleeping squirel) and looking at the sky as he drives for 24 hrs.  The conclusion will be a self-intervention!  I did that only one time in my past, I am cured.

The overnight would be better in my opinion anyway - about four hours in the plane and I am BEAT. 8 would be murderous.

PHD is a nice airport. Okay restaraunt, helpful people, great avionics shop. You might want to consider stopping at I40 instead, though. They're close to each other, Downing has nicer facilities and more importantly, almost always has the best price for gas around.

Drive....... for 24 hours..... didn't you just buy TWO planes??? You can't even plead mechanical breakdown...

Hey Guys, thanks for all the information but I had to make a decision , I have to fly by airliner this time. Mrs.S wants to sail a windjammer, not just look at them .  Since time and tide and the Nathaniel Bowditch wait for no man, and I can't predict the weather that far in advance to assure a timely arrival, I found two round trip tickets for the price of Mooney fuel . I would consider the trip by Mooney far more interesting but I can't disappoint Mrs.S by getting weathered in somewhere while the boat sails .

I did get the flight planning under my belt and more than anything else appreciate the positive reports about visiting this area. I'm sure I'll enjoy the sailing as well and the long range plans are for us to retire on our boat. I can't ever pass the desire of my wife to get on a boat and sail . (especially when she suggests it)

I'm  lucky that Mrs. S has flown with me enough to know about making better decisions rather than letting circumstances trap us into bad ones.

Once again thanks for the support of a great Mooney community!

Quote: sleepingsquirrel

Hey Guys, thanks for all the information but I had to make a decision , I have to fly by airliner this time. Mrs.S wants to sail a windjammer, not just look at them .  Since time and tide and the Nathaniel Bowditch wait for no man, and I can't predict the weather that far in advance to assure a timely arrival, I found two round trip tickets for the price of Mooney fuel . I would consider the trip by Mooney far more interesting but I can't disappoint Mrs.S by getting weathered in somewhere while the boat sails .

I did get the flight planning under my belt and more than anything else appreciate the positive reports about visiting this area. I'm sure I'll enjoy the sailing as well and the long range plans are for us to retire on our boat. I can't ever pass the desire of my wife to get on a boat and sail . (especially when she suggests it)

I'm  lucky that Mrs. S has flown with me enough to know about making better decisions rather than letting circumstances trap us into bad ones.

Once again thanks for the support of a great Mooney community!