What airfilter do I need?

Jon, before I got the SabreCowl I had a Challenger. Reusable, 100 hour service involves cleaning, re-oiling. Air flow gain vs. original.

I think I still have it if you’re interested. My new cowl uses the same technology but a different size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

Jon, before I got the SabreCowl I had a Challenger. Reusable, 100 hour service involves cleaning, re-oiling. Air flow gain vs. original.

I think I still have it if you’re interested. My new cowl uses the same technology but a different size.

Bob, 

I'm not opposed to, how old/hours on it? I already bought the wrong Donaldson so I may just run up to Falcon field and swap it out for the challenger. Is the challenger a direct replacement for the bracket style? 

For ram air, I usually don't cruise with it open for the concern of even at 5-8k there may be STUFF in the air?  I could just me making this up in my head, should I run Ram open unless going through cloud/rain?

5 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

If Jon doesn't take you up on the offer, I will. I can have Ron clean and install it at annual. ;)

Jon, it’s 7 years old, I got it from PFS when I swapped to their exhaust. I’ll take pics tomorrow.

You might discuss with Lynn for details about Bracket.

I no longer have ram air with new cowl but it was worth 1.1” MAP before and I used it whenever I got too high to get the HP I wanted. I would not be concerned about dust unless there’s something like a forest fire going on. I would close it if flying through clouds.

KP, I’d be glad to pass it on to you, I’ve got my money’s worth.

7 hours ago, J0nathan225 said:

But it's an oily mess. Have there been no improvements over this? 

Thanks for the replies. The good news is the bracket is much cheaper, I guess. 

The original filter was made by Air Maze, I have never seen one on E or F model.  The Brackett version may be a bit messy, but it’s better than the K&N which is not the most robust design.  They seal poorly against the cowl opening and quickly lose their cotton fibres, allowing dirt into the engine.

Clarence

I bought the Challenger filter for my C model back when they first got approved and were still a reasonable price. I was skeptical on the performance claims but for my plane I did see a 1” increase in manifold pressure at altitude. In fact I was seeing the same numbers as an F model with the ram air door open. 
I am happy with mine and have had no issues but at the current prices I would go with the Donaldson filters over the Challenger or the Brackett. 
Brian

• Like 1