TIO-540-AF1B Reman, Rebuild, or Factory New?

TEX

Same thing I posted over in the other thread....

Start with Air Power, Inc.  They are one of the distributors for Lycoming and then you can compare that against the other boutique builders out there.  Only the factory can label it as New or Rebuilt, all others will be an overhaul.

https://www.airpowerinc.com/productcart/pc/engines.asp?searchParm=TIO-540-AF1B&catID=33

Cheers,

Brian

It is true only the factory can zero time an engine. Recognize however that the factory can install any parts, including used parts that meet their specifications. 

Now I cannot speak for other shops but I do know Carlus Gann and his build will be to new specifications if you spec that. His balance is also way better than factory. His prices have gone up lately Because Lycoming has raised prices on parts I believe in an effort to drive people like him out of the business. He has built built 2 engines for me and his work is superb.

The sad part is if you put in a factory zero you will have an inferior engine to a Gann engine but you will have better resale. Here is the way I would look at it. If you are going to fly this engine a 1000 or more hours, go with Gann. You will fly in the comfort of knowing you are behind no better engine. If you are going to sell the airplane in the next few years, buy a factory zero time for the resale value.

I did the factory rebuild, principally for the new exhaust system, as this would have been enough extra on a European shop overhaul to make them more expensive, and with a slower turnaround. My original exhaust had been repaired a few times in its life, and I didn't fancy having to continually keep patching it up.

I did try Ganns for a quote, but couldn't get him to answer me at all, which didn't feel great as I wondered what would happen if I had a query later - YMMV

Curious to hear what others recommend. I’m also considering the factory remanufactured zero time engine or reputable shop Overhaul for my Bravo during the next year.  I’ve not seen such low quotes. The range I’ve seen from major shops  is $58,000 at Western Skyways to $66-71,000 at Victor Aviation, which has rave reviews particularly on the Beechtalk forum. Factory remanufactured is $66,000. New is obviously out at an obscene $106,000. 

47 minutes ago, HXG said:

Curious to hear what others recommend. I’m also considering the factory remanufactured zero time engine or reputable shop Overhaul for my Bravo during the next year.  I’ve not seen such low quotes. The range I’ve seen from major shops  is $58,000 at Western Skyways to $66-71,000 at Victor Aviation, which has rave reviews particularly on the Beechtalk forum. Factory remanufactured is $66,000. New is obviously out at an obscene $106,000. 

Given your location, I wouldn't hesitate going with Western Skyways again (they did my IO520).  Their three year warranty beats both Lycoming and Continental's and they have been known to drive out to customers locations if needed to repair something under warranty.   

Victor has the same type warranty (can pay for up to a 10 year warranty too I believe) and makes a great engine, but think they are a bit on the high side for what you get (just my opinion). 

Brian

• Like 1