oil change - how to Avoid pollution

NicoN

THese days I assisted the A/P with the oil change of our M20K (TSIO360-GB).

It was a mess!

first of all, the quick drain was opened and we tried to keep the basket in range of the oil. Think, next time we will use a piece of hose to hit the basket better.

But now for the oil filter: The filter was still full of oil and by removing it, all the oil poured on the engine mount and anything including our hands.

Cleaning took more time than the oil-change  itself.

The A/P was of the opinion this cannot be avoided.

Hmmm.

At least for the oil filter, one could try to punch holes into the oil filter with a screwdriver before removing the filter. But how to control the oil coming out of the  filter?

Any good ideas are welcome including tools to prevent pollution.

There are plenty of threads about this already. You should search for them.

on my Lycoming, if you wait a day sense you ran the engine, all the oil will drain out of the filter.

When you get done warming up the engine, put a hose on the quick drain into the container. Make sure the hose won’t fall off with a ty-wrap or some lock wire. Then go home. Come back the next day and change the filter and add the new oil. No mess.....

• Like 2

@NicoN I can usually do an oil change on my K model without a drop of oil hitting the floor or getting all over the nose gear. Haven't found a way to keep my hands clean yet though. I use the box my oil comes in to make this trough. Works extremely well and I just throw it away afterwards. The picture is after I drilled a hole in the filter to let it drain and just prior to removing the filter.

IMG_4774.PNG

[mention=17152]NicoN[/mention] I can usually do an oil change on my K model without a drop of oil hitting the floor or getting all over the nose gear. Haven't found a way to keep my hands clean yet though. I use the box my oil comes in to make this trough. Works extremely well and I just throw it away afterwards. The picture is after I drilled a hole in the filter to let it drain and just prior to removing the filter.

That requires removing the lower cowl, OP has a quick drain, so he can change oil with lower cowl in place. I just use a cheap plastic container position under the filter and a few paper towels to build a bird’s nest to hold it. The difficulty comes in removing it without spilling.

Tom

The Ks present some real challenges. A hose on the quick drain into gallon milk jugs takes care of that part. A gallon Ziplock bag slipped over the filter to unscrew it, after loosening it, will take care of the filter contents, even as you have to maneuver the old filter out. (Not easy, and you have to jiggle the horizontal cowl flap activation rod to get past it.) But the filter housing will still drip a bunch. So build the attached device and slide a pan under the place where it drains. You have to put it in place before unscrewing the filter, and getting the pan back far enough to avoid dripping on the nose-wheel is hard. (You might try making the device a little longer to drip further out past the tire.)

But then you have the device, the pan, and all the stuff you use to cut open the filter to clean up afterward. It makes you wonder if it is worth it, unless you are a true CB.

Oil Drain.jpg

SAM_1784.JPG

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

That requires removing the lower cowl, OP has a quick drain, so he can change oil with lower cowl in place. I just use a cheap plastic container position under the filter and a few paper towels to build a bird’s nest to hold it. The difficulty comes in removing it without spilling.

Tom

Sure, that I can keep the lower cowling in place?

1) Some brand names stick in the memory so well...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q="Form a funnel"&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

2) There are also many home grown solutions made out of PVC pipe... that have been cut in half the long way...

3) There are also a few versions of the quick drain that are better than original...

4) As far as piercing and draining The oil filter... I have seen tools for that as well around here...

5) the slightest amount of wind... makes a mess 10X.

K specific..? that is outside my PP memory bank... :)

Best regards,

-a-

I just use a heavy contractor trash bag taped to the engine mounts draining into a bucket to catch the oil filter drip on my K. It's easy, and when I'm done I turn it inside out and put all my waste in it. The hassle of being a contortionist to do it with the lower cowl still on just isn't worth it, with a second set of hands the lower cowl is off and on in five minutes. Some wheels don't need reinventing when just a little country raised savvy will do.

My oil filter is mounted vertically so I never tried this one. I looks easier to use than plastic bags and towels under the filter. 
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/tempestoildraintool.php?clickkey=30995

I purchased/used this for my first oil change... still made a mess but hope to make less of a mess next time. M20k with -mb1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, ziggysanchez said:

@NicoN I can usually do an oil change on my K model without a drop of oil hitting the floor or getting all over the nose gear. Haven't found a way to keep my hands clean yet though. I use the box my oil comes in to make this trough. Works extremely well and I just throw it away afterwards. The picture is after I drilled a hole in the filter to let it drain and just prior to removing the filter.

IMG_4774.PNG

Does the oily cardboard get recycled or tossed in the trash?  Seems that throwing it the trash just adds more pollution to the world.  In my shop we use all manner of reusable catch cups and diverted to direct the oil into a bucket.  The old oil is recycled, the oil filter cut open and the metal filter body is recycled, the filter media is also recycled.

Clarence

A picture of my solution to this in action for the TSIO-360-MB which powers my M20K is attached. This solution should also work for TSIO-360-GB/LB installations as well. The oil deflector under the oil filter was hand made from a $20 piece of aluminum sheet from Lowe's. A piece of aircraft aluminum sheet metal would be easier to work with, although it might hold up as well.  The Lowe's aluminum sheet was pretty thick & difficult to work with. The hole in the oil filter was punched with a scratch awl and hammer. Let it drain overnight and usually, albeit not quite always, and the oil filter adapter will be completely drained. Even it isn't completely drained, always pull the oil filter with the deflector still in place to catch any additional drainage. Never spilled a drop of oil with this arrangement.

--Paul Keller

'89K @ RLD

Mooney Oil Draining.JPG

36 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Speaking of capturing the last drop...

Find the pic of all the inverted oil containers draining the last drop over time and collecting into a quart bottle...

Best regards,

-a-

WirthCo 32947 Funnel King B.O.B. Bottom of The Bottle Oil Bottle Draining System

$13 on Amazon. I just can't stomach paying $13 for that when I can 3D print one. Google "garage journal oil funnel drain" and you'll see a ton of ideas.

3245c81d6a458eba2e1f578cf28e4536.thumb.w

Edit: Check this company out. What a genius idea to have the funnel screw onto the oil cap hole. Maybe they can make a Lycoming and Continental version?

8 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

Edit: Check this company out. What a genius idea to have the funnel screw onto the oil cap hole. Maybe they can make a Lycoming and Continental version?

It's been pointed out here before that the threads on drink bottles are compatible with the oil fill tube.   I chopped a used water bottle in half and keep it in the baggage hatch with a shop towel in it for when I have to add oil away from home.   Works like a champ.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Speaking of capturing the last drop...

Find the pic of all the inverted oil containers draining the last drop over time and collecting into a quart bottle...

Best regards,

-a-

Only us CBs with tons of time on our hands would build our own.

Oil drain device.png

• Like 4

On my IO-360-ES I use this $2.50 funnel from Walmart.  It rotates perfectly in-between the two bottom engine frame supports right underneath the oil filter.  There's plenty of space to reach in and get the oil filter off and just drop it in the funnel.  Then I flip it over and let it drain out.  I just attach a piece of hose to the bottom and run it into the oil jug.  I have oil changes now where I don't even get a drop on the ground.  Wish I could do the same on my cars.

image.png.83c1a7a648caf1394f7e0d36a07416db.png