towbar

Planegary

40 minutes ago, Planegary said:

Well I finally got it completed (almost) I still ha e to make the ramp/tire stop. Here are photos of it. I made where it should easily handle 1000 lbs according to the bearing I bought (we will see if that is true. For. Ow I can tell you it moves and swivels easily

That is very cool!

1 hour ago, Planegary said:

Well I finally got it completed (almost) I still ha e to make the ramp/tire stop. Here are photos of it. I made where it should easily handle 1000 lbs according to the bearing I bought (we will see if that is true. For. Ow I can tell you it moves and swivels easily

2D7B69F1-DDC2-448F-B222-D594CC169714.jpeg

How do plan on holding the nosewheel (more or less) straight ahead. Or do you envision the it will go to the stop (ie. tubes will touch), but will not bend anything.

the stops are set to not let it touch the tubes but i am hoping that the wheel wont want to turn and the turntable will do all the work. Will have to see how it works when iget home next week and after i make the ramp to aid in pulling it up on the turntable

• Like 2

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

I have a 90° turn to get into my hangar. I haven’t yet figured out how to do it in one move...

I thought following the same route as it came out would be good...

Don't we all? the path to the hangar is normal to the taxiway, but I can swing into it a tiny bit. Call my turn 75º. then again, I'm pushing several hundred fewer pounds than you are.  :)  My C is easier to push around than the lighter C172s I trained in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Htwjr said:

What's a towbar?  The hanger that I lucked into has remote control fold up doors on both sides so you can taxi in and out.  

Cool! An SR-71 hangar!

Just don't leave any papers, towels or rags laying around, and no open books, either--stand 'em up!

Well building the tow bar saga continues. After getting the tow bar built it was time for the test. Attempting to Rachet the nose wheel onto the turntable made the ramp and the tow bar want to buck up. I made a longer more gradual ramp but it did the same thing.when I did this the ramp got between the rotating assemblies and ruined the bearing $16. Have to figure out to keep the ramp and tow bar from buching up. Maybe something that temporarily attaches to the turntable. Once I get this figured out I will replace the bearing and report on how it works. 

A similar bucking occurs with lawn tractor towing... all the weight is over the back wheels.... the front wants to come off the ground...

It may not take a lot of weight to keep things down... I had an extra 6v battery lying around... the torque/arm might be helpful...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

abest regards,

-a-

On 10/11/2019 at 3:01 PM, Planegary said:

due to taxiway difficulties at the airport that i base at I have to tug my plane. This got me to thinking about a towbar that attaches to a turntable for the fromt wheel to sit on. This would prevent oversteering the nosewheel. Is there anything on the market like that or has somebody already designed something like that? would hate to try to engineer something like that to only find that it doesnt work or somebody has already designed something.I would appreciate any input on this

That’s what most of the FBOs have nowadays. The tugs have a little ramp they pull the nose onto so the nose never turns. Some of the citations have strict limitations too. 

am thinking of putting a slideout onto the front of the ramp to make it (temporarily at least) a single unit to keep it from bucking

to clarify the slideout would mount the ramp to the bottom of the turntable axle and be removed after the wheel is on the turntable

Edited by Planegary
clarification

Part of my problem is I have to go off-roading to get the plane to the ramp. The taxiway does not connect to the ramp. That is why I am using a lawn tractor to tug and I am having to be extremely careful. I have to disconnect and hand turn 1 corner as it is

2 hours ago, TWinter said:

Supertow ll that was shown has the "LazySusan" concept that allows the tug to swivel. I've got one for sale $1700. She's a big beast.

thumbnail.jpg

Looks like what the FBO at my former home drome used to move the A36 and C310. Great equipment, works well, nose wheel never turns so no worries about turn radius, limits, crunching rods, regardless of how tightly the plane needs to maneuver. 

• Like 1