KLN 94 database update

lithium366

16 hours ago, Louis said:

The SET 3 page is where you get can see the key to supply to BK when you get the data download.

Set 3 page is where you can see it - but trust me it is stored on the card, not the unit. I used to have people mail me their cards and I would update them with my subscription.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Set 3 page is where you can see it - but trust me it is stored on the card, not the unit. I used to have people mail me their cards and I would update them with my subscription.

Database key is indeed is stored on the card. But that’s actually an interesting but useless question: is it also in the GPS itself? When you insert your new database card KLN94 is downloading database for quite a bit. Is it copying an entire database or just indexing new database on the card? I think once database is copied GPS is no longer using it for reading purposes, just for validation and license: you still have a card in the unit with the same database and so you can’t just use it in 2 airplanes at the same time. But again this is a useless reasoning :)

On 12/1/2019 at 6:19 PM, lithium366 said:

VirtualBox is not going to take care of anything. Firmware loading software for SDDR-31 works in Windows 98 (old PC operating system). In order to get Windows 98 running on your modern computer you need a VirtualBox - an emulating software. Your computer that is running MacOS for example (host operating system) will run VirtualBox with Windows 98 (guest operating system). ti install Windows 98 inside VirtualBox you will need to obtain a copy of Windows 98 distribution that could be a CD or an image (there are a lot of links to download an image if you google it but the only legal way is to buy it). When you have Windows 98 running inside of your host operating system you then need to install firmware loading software and SDDR-31 driver like you normally do with any other computer. Alternatively you can mail SDDR-31 to me, include a return shipping label and I will upgrade firmware for you. However chances are you probably will not know how to use it if you will not take care of firmware upgrade yourself.

This video shows how to install Windows 98 in VirtualBox 

The ScanDisc Imagemate is a good option and once configured with the correct firmware and your computer with the correct emulator software will be a good option for updating your data card from the KLN 94. 

Alternatively, I have some new news for the PC laptop with interface cable option.  With the PC laptop option all you have to do is download the Data Downloader program from wingmanservices.bendixking.com and use an interface cable.  Peter (the fellow you mentioned from the UK ) is going to make me a brand new cable with a USB on one end and the 3.5mm jack that plugs into the front of the KLN 94 on the other.  So no more searching for a used interface cable on Ebay.  If the cable works he said that he would be a supplier for anyone who needs an interface cable. 

For some, that solution may ultimately be the cheapest way to update your KLN database. A free data downloader program for your PC and a cable purchased from Peter in the United Kingdom.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 10:30 AM, Louis said:

The ScanDisc Imagemate is a good option and once configured with the correct firmware and your computer with the correct emulator software will be a good option for updating your data card from the KLN 94. 

Alternatively, I have some new news for the PC laptop with interface cable option.  With the PC laptop option all you have to do is download the Data Downloader program from wingmanservices.bendixking.com and use an interface cable.  Peter (the fellow you mentioned from the UK ) is going to make me a brand new cable with a USB on one end and the 3.5mm jack that plugs into the front of the KLN 94 on the other.  So no more searching for a used interface cable on Ebay.  If the cable works he said that he would be a supplier for anyone who needs an interface cable. 

For some, that solution may ultimately be the cheapest way to update your KLN database. A free data downloader program for your PC and a cable purchased from Peter in the United Kingdom.

Please post an update when you done. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 9:10 AM, Julián Palacios said:

Hi, can you help me with the process of updating the SandDisk Sddr31 using VirtualBoX? The imagemate is not recognized on my virtual 98 computer. I might have drivers missing. It could be so helpful if all drivers used are post here somehow. 

Thank you.

I can post drivers when I am back home around Jan 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 5:59 PM, lithium366 said:

Please post an update when you done. 

Communicated with Peter from the UK this week and he has made me a new interface cable that I will test as soon as it comes in.  Afterward I will post how to purchase one from him.  That should make it painless for everyone with a KLN 94 to update it.  Standby for updates...

• Like 1

I am happy to report success in my own little venture.  My KLN94 is at last updated and ready for approaches.  Huge thanks to the folks in this thread, couldn't have done it without you.  Mooneyspace rocks once again!

Edited by steingar
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 10/11/2019 at 10:48 AM, lithium366 said:

Guys, I recently updated couple DB in Cessnas I used to rent and figured it is a challenge for many people

1. To re-flash $9 ImageMate with the required firmware because it can only be done under an emulation of Win 98 or ME.  (otherwise you need to pay premium for already flashed Image Mate)

2. To flash database into a storage card   

I am offering my help to anyone who struggle with a database update in a SoCal area. We can meet if you nearby or you can mail me your card and I will re-flash it for you (you will need to purchase an pudate from Honeywell) and also can help with firmware for Image Mate.

can't you just update using the serial cable?  

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kln+94+database+update

• 11 months later...

Holy hell I just went down this rabbit hole and it was chaos... all modern Macs use ARM processors, and you need a special version of VMWare to even use that. But nevermind, because the KLN update software only runs on Windows XP - and there is NO possible way to run that on ARM.

So I dug an old Intel mac out of the depths of hell and installed a Win XP virtual machine. Got the drivers for USB to Serial so I could try the headphone jack approach. Tried for hours to get the unit to update in that manner and could only manage to read settings but not actually write back to the unit. GPS kept saying software not ready or something. 

So I ordered an ImageMate from ebay, roughly 25 years after it was manufactured. Am told by KLN software that the firmware is bad, and only Windows 98 can fix it. So install windows 98 on virtual box, drivers and all.  AND THEN the firmware update software cannot find the writer even though it's very clearly installed and accessible. I start button mashing obscure USB settings in windows 98 (disabling random things that I don't even remotely understand (or care to)). FINALLY, in absolutely no repeatable manner that I could tell anybody, the software randomly recognizes the hardware.

I update the firmware without incident, then go back to windows XP and update the GPS database. And then i double fist pump the sky and scream obscenities at our simulation overlords. 

What a journey - I'm 33 and cut my teeth on windows 98 as a kid, followed shortly by XP. Was quite a deep dig into a long forgotten skillset to get this procedure to work. 

To the guy offering help, it is generous of you! This is quite an undertaking. Cheers and good luck to anybody else who attempts this!

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 10:19 PM, LANCECASPER said:

And if I remember correctly, the key changes every time.

Not on mine the key is specific to the card that I plug into image mate. You have to give the key  to them every time you do a download from the website.

I use older computer specifically saved to use with cd reader. Delete the database on the computer every time before uploading.

I believe my sequence is download current database for my subscription by newer MAC  onto a large compact disc. Take the compact disc to the older computer with CD reader. Save the database to old computer.

Insert the old database card into imagemate reader. Make sure the old database is wiped off my old computer. 
download the data base on the card.

Pull out expired card disc from KlN 94. Takes 2 cards this way. Plug in updated card to KLN 94. 

Allow the card update to load into the KLN 94, it take a few minutes . I often have my battery charger plugged in with avionics on or you can just fly away VFR and allow it to update.

The procedures are on the website at least that is how I got them years ago.

It is smooth process but does require an extra older computer, compact disc reader-writer and a least flash card.

As I understand you can just order the updated flash card yourself and have them updated, at lease that was possible before. I believe they require you to send I the image mate card to them because they are rare to find now.

336 offer seems very generous. I don’t understand it but older computers are rare now.

It is not so expensive if purchased by the packages vs one card at a time. I believe the packages go to 24 months or more.