Officially Mooneyless

Kmac

11 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

A little background , The first time I met KMAC , he was looking at a R182 I was selling at the time.... Trust me that you don't know the backstory here , And he wishes he bought that aircraft...

As I’ve been told before, “it’s called Mooneyspace”. Speaking of other brands, whether they're better or not is not to be encouraged.  We don’t want the believers to experience other brands of Kool Aid.

Clarence

On 10/13/2019 at 12:37 PM, RogueOne said:

Are you saying Mooney is not zinc chromated?

Historically, the all metal Mooney aircraft typically had little zinc chromate protection. Usually it was found in the fuselage in the area of the tubular structure. The wings and empennage are typically unprotected. It is an absolute shame that the FAA allowed the manufacture of aluminum aircraft without requiring corrosion proofing when aircraft manufacturers have had the ability to protect these airframes since the 1940s.

North American zinc chromated the Navions they built in the 1940s. Piper did the same on the Comanches and the Apaches in the 1950s and 1960s plus offered it as an option on their other aircraft models for a relatively small increase in cost.

We have seen Mooney aircraft taken out of service by owners on this forum due to corrosion issues over the past few years. It is frustrating, sad and unforgivable that this has to happen in my opinion.

1 hour ago, BKlott said:

Historically, the all metal Mooney aircraft typically had little zinc chromate protection. Usually it was found in the fuselage in the area of the tubular structure. The wings and empennage are typically unprotected. It is an absolute shame that the FAA allowed the manufacture of aluminum aircraft without requiring corrosion proofing when aircraft manufacturers have had the ability to protect these airframes since the 1940s.

North American zinc chromated the Navions they built in the 1940s. Piper did the same on the Comanches and the Apaches in the 1950s and 1960s plus offered it as an option on their other aircraft models for a relatively small increase in cost.

We have seen Mooney aircraft taken out of service by owners on this forum due to corrosion issues over the past few years. It is frustrating, sad and unforgivable that this has to happen in my opinion.

Both of my Mooney’s a ‘66 and ‘81 have zinc Chromated in the empennage.  I treat the wings with Corrosion X.  These planes are commonly 30-50+ years old and going strong.  All airplanes have issues with corrosion if not hangered and or inspected and treated.  ALL manufacturers have their “issues”.  Mooney does not suffer corrosion on a fleet wide basis.  Sealant in the tanks, Shock discs are the common gotchas.  I like the Comanche.  I like the J a lot better.  

Enjoy your Piper.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 4:22 AM, aviatoreb said:

I know!  That's what happened to us!

Who wrote that song... time keeps on slippin' slippin' slippin'....into the future....

My kids grew up from toddlers in my F. Lots of regular flights down through Mexico, throughout the SW and California. I just finished putting them through college. I could have bought a small fleet of Mooneys for the cost of their college but that's behind me now.

-Robert

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

I just finished putting them through college. I could have bought a small fleet of Mooneys for the cost of their college but that's behind me now.

-Robert

I hear yah there.  I am in the middle of it now!  3 of them!

Huh - never thought of it that way - a fleet of Mooneys or college.  Hey kids - Mooneys for everyone!  Skip college!

My wife would never have gone for that.  I am still on thin ice that she lets me keep just one lil ol mooney.