Officially Mooneyless

Kmac

When I purchased my M20C I bought it with the intention to own it temporarily to learn about complex aircraft and ownership in general.  I always planned on selling towards the end of summer 2019, and since flying in the winter in the northeast sucks, purchase another aircraft in the spring of 2020.

I must say that my family and I had a blast in the Mooney.  It was always reliable, stable and fun.  We've traveled thousands of miles and visited multiple states.  Our plan now, though, is to purchase an aircraft to fit and last our family for at least 15 years.  I really want to stick with Lycoming for the engine and will be looking at Piper Comanche's and Cessna R182's.  

I recently went through the selling process of aircraft ownership and much prefer the purchasing side of things.  Some airworthy items came up during the sale and without the help of @orionflt and @Alan Fox would not have been sold.  By selling an airplane I have learned more about buying one then when you buy one.  Again, I want to give a big thanks to Brian Nelson for his help and professionalism and to Alan Fox for his recommendations and ideas.

Here is the kids last flight in the Mooney...

20190811_114736.jpg

• Like 19

6 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

No problem with leg room back there!  Love it!

For local flights it was perfect.  For overnight trips and vacations where we needed to bring car seats it was tough.  We flew to NC to visit family for Thanksgiving for a few days and loaded up the baggage area.  I installed the car seats and my wife and I had our children's feet resting on our shoulders the entire trip.  I wanted a larger airplane that day...

Here was that trip...

IMG954648.jpg

IMG954647.jpg

• Like 5

More room? Go F.

More aerodynamics? Go J.

More power? Go Missile.

More Mooney? Go O.

No Mooney? Just go....  check In with Doc...   :) (he likes his Comanche...)

Having classic child seats really used up lots of space...

Moving into the next phase... booster seats is much more airplane and car friendly...

Those years go by so fast... there isn’t much to remember about them...

Good luck on the next steps...

The M20C experience will remain deep in your memory!

Great pirep on the services of Brian and Alan!

Will you be staying on MS through the transition?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Sorry Tom, :)

I left out the Screamin’ Eagle....

More Mooney and More UL?  Go Screamin’ !   Did Cris’ Screamin’ Eagle come up for sale?

I came across the details for raising the MGTOW for the J yesterday... a fun read for those with the right S/N...

Or read the STC for the Missile, MGTOW without the limitations of various S/N... go figure... :)

Best regards,

-a- 

15 minutes ago, carusoam said:

More room? Go F.

More aerodynamics? Go J.

More power? Go Missile.

More Mooney? Go O.

No Mooney? Just go....  check In with Doc...   :) (he likes his Comanche...)

Having classic child seats really used up lots of space...

Moving into the next phase... booster seats is much more airplane and car friendly...

Those years go by so fast... there isn’t much to remember about them...

Good luck on the next steps...

The M20C experience will remain deep in your memory!

Great pirep on the services of Brian and Alan!

Will you be staying on MS through the transition?

Best regards,

-a-

Mooney will forever be a part of my flying life now.  

For rental car activities after flying to the destination my daughter can switch to the booster next year but my son will need the full car seat for two more years...

I'll be around Mooneyspace and the Quakertown gathering throughout ownership of the next aircraft and will be using @orionflt for any pre-buy and annuals...

When the kids no longer fly with us (15-25 years) I will probably move back to an M20E or maybe a Vans RV 7 or 9; maybe even a Lancair Legacy...

• Like 2

I have an F and twin 3 year olds.  I purposely bought the smallest car seats available so we could fit them in the baggage area.  It takes a little bit of Tetris to fit them through the door and on top of each other but there’s still room for some light bags.  So yes, car seats suck, but you can fit 2 in the baggage area and travel with 4 people in relative comfort on trips!

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 10:35 AM, Kmac said:

For local flights it was perfect.  For overnight trips and vacations where we needed to bring car seats it was tough.  We flew to NC to visit family for Thanksgiving for a few days and loaded up the baggage area.  I installed the car seats and my wife and I had our children's feet resting on our shoulders the entire trip.  I wanted a larger airplane that day...

Here was that trip...

IMG954648.jpg

IMG954647.jpg

Yah - I hear you there.  I used to just marvel at how much stuff we would take with us to transport little people, even to the store.  We had a minivan, for our three little people, and we would utterly fill it up for a simple over night to grandma's.  I don't think anything less than a pilatus would have been big enough to transport the 5 of us and all the stuff!

Now on the other side, 2 boys in college and one shopping for colleges (going around shopping by mooney) the mooney is a fine machine...to go visit them.

I love the young men my boys are now, but I miss the little people they used to be.  Enjoy every minute!!!

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 4

As a former moony  252 and bravo  owner for 20yrs I recently purchased a R182 and love it  it meets or exceeds the book performance, I have 2 grandchildren about the same age as your children and it’s so much easier to load and unload  

lovely pics by the way! My wife thought it was a pic I took of our kids at first glance . it depends on your missions but I would look at the 182RG  any questions 740-391-2229  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Somehow I must have logged on to ”Cessnaspace”

Clarence

A little background , The first time I met KMAC , he was looking at a R182 I was selling at the time.... Trust me that you don't know the backstory here , And he wishes he bought that aircraft...

• Like 1