100 hr Prop Inspection

Lukon

I thought I had posted about this previously, but I’m unable to find it.  I was very happy last April with my first annual, owner assisted for N202GE, but annoyed by the $500 charge for the required 2 blade Hartzel prop inspection.  This seems excessive and basically adds an unnecessary and uneconomical $5/hr onto my flying costs.  Seems it ought to be doable for $100-150 for the inspection.

Can anyone recommend a prop guy who can do this for a more reasonable charge?

I’m based at KCNO in Southern California.

Edited by Lukon

$500 can’t be the right price for the AD inspection...

See if that included something other than the usual inspection...

The work is usually done on the plane, removing the spinner... takes an hour or two?

Done at a prop shop with the proper equipment...

PP fuzzy memory only...

Best regards,

-a-

18 hours ago, Janat83 said:

The guy at Johnson & Sons Propeller Services in Shafter can do it for $160 as I remember, give them a call and see what they can do for you. 

I did my prop overhaul with them and was overall happy with them

On 10/10/2019 at 7:06 PM, Janat83 said:

The guy at Johnson & Sons Propeller Services in Shafter can do it for $160 as I remember, give them a call and see what they can do for you. 

Thanks, I’ll contact them.

On 10/10/2019 at 5:00 PM, MooneyMitch said:

I have no idea of the rate charged, but possibly worth an inquiry.   

Good luck ! 

3CC87576-8A3A-4BF5-B321-BC47A82AB251.jpeg

AeroHoff would end up being close to $500 as well.  He comes up from oceanside or something and bills by the hour.  with a minimum.  If you could get 3 or 4 mooneys together he can do them all for the same price.  I have had him at SNA 3 times and nobody ever takes me up on my offer to get a group together.

Takes him 30 minutes to do mine and I get a $400 bill due to drive time and mins.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, TheTurtle said:

AeroHoff would end up being close to $500 as well.  He comes up from oceanside or something and bills by the hour.  with a minimum.  If you could get 3 or 4 mooneys together he can do them all for the same price.  I have had him at SNA 3 times and nobody ever takes me up on my offer to get a group together.

Takes him 30 minutes to do mine and I get a $400 bill due to drive time and mins.

Yikes!!! :(

On 10/15/2019 at 2:04 PM, TheTurtle said:

For that price, why don't you fly it down to him?

I paid $150.00 for my last hub inspection and the inspection was done in my hangar.  I’ve seen prices as high as $350.00 here in Kansas as well.  

Where did go go near Kansas for $150?

I’d rather pay $150 in Kansas or Missouri rather that $500 near Louisville.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

$500.00 seems damn high regardless of where it's at. I just had my prop inspected, re-sealed, static balanced, re-painted and the AD inspection, the shop is 250 miles from me and they picked it up and dropped it off 7 days later for $900. Said to call them and they would let me know when their next trip was and they could do the AD inspection in my hangar when it was due again, didn't even bother to ask for a price with customer service like that, but my guess is the 150 range

On 10/10/2019 at 7:06 PM, Janat83 said:

On 10/11/2019 at 1:17 PM, Niko182 said:

I did my prop overhaul with them and was overall happy with them

They did the re-seal on my prop and I was very happy with their turn around and the work. That was 100 hours ago and no issues yet. (knock on wood)

Just had mine done last week.  $180 on a/c in Marianna, Florida.   My prop is about 1570 h since overhaul (in 1990), and I was told by the repair station that the FAA and Hartzell are starting to urge IRANs of these props if they haven't been opened up in years.   Since my prop has not had anyone look inside the hub for "decades" I guess sometime between now and next October I'll have it IRAN'd.  Received an estimate of 0.35 to 2.3 AMU for the uncertainty that comes with an IRAN.

4 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Just had mine done last week.  $180 on a/c in Marianna, Florida.   My prop is about 1570 h since overhaul (in 1990), and I was told by the repair station that the FAA and Hartzell are starting to urge IRANs of these props if they haven't been opened up in years.   Since my prop has not had anyone look inside the hub for "decades" I guess sometime between now and next October I'll have it IRAN'd.  Received an estimate of 0.35 to 2.3 AMU for the uncertainty that comes with an IRAN.

It’s a good idea. I have mine done every 5 years and there is always rust on the bearings. 

10 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

I just had mine overhauled 2 years ago and was quoted $1850. Total came out to $2150 with new parts. That included pick up and delivery to my hangar.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I just had mine overhauled 2 years ago and was quoted $1850. Total came out to $2150 with new parts. That included pick up and delivery to my hangar.

They can also seal it and fill with oil, thereby voiding the AD.  The theory is that if there was a crack you'd see oil leaking out so you don't need the ECI.

-Robert

7 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

They can also seal it and fill with oil, thereby voiding the AD.  The theory is that if there was a crack you'd see oil leaking out so you don't need the ECI.

-Robert

None of the prop shops in my area to comply with that AD termination. They all say the same thing… “That hub was not designed to hold oil and Leaking is a problem.  I believe it given how many airplanes on my field are weeping the new formulation of Aeroshell 6 from their hubs.

• Like 1