Mooney bravo - little clock

pkofman

Do you have the LCD one from the early 90s?

Expect to search the latest clock threads...

select a favorite clock... some have USB sockets, others have CO monitors...

The latest has a back-up AI and faulty AOA sensorless system... 

yes... all in a clock.

expect your instrument guy to have to cut a new round hole to match...

PP thoughts only

Best regards,

-a-

If you're referring to the little digital clock on the upper left part of the panel, yes I do have some experience.  It was made by Mid-continent but the clock is no longer manufactured.  However, it is the exact same clock as the porsche 944 digital clock which can be found on ebay.  That's what I put in and it works fine.  Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 3

Mine was lit for night use... check the bulb...

The black LCD is tough to read under any condition...

The closer to the roof your eyes are... the more ridiculous the LCD clock becomes...

The space behind the panel, that far left... make sure your new clock isn’t unusually long... there are a few inches back there...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

11 minutes ago, pkofman said:

@Davidv yes top left. ( sort of a bad design in my opinion ). Hard to read.. can you remember if yours was backlit  and readable at night.   I can hardly read it at all.

Peter

Unfortunately not, and the replacement doesn't illuminate at night.  The only benefit to the porsche replacement is that you don't have to do any panel work (that is, if your current clock is broken).  If you don't mind cutting the panel you can of course source any other clock.

• Like 1

The clock is a bit of a PIA.  The clock works great if the bulb isn't burnt out.  If you can't read it, the bulb it probably burnt out.  Before we learned how to change the bulb simply, we had to take the whole glare shield out and that took a couple of hours. On the second time, we found that you could just unscrew the ASI, push it down, and reach in and change the bulb.   It took about 15 minutes.  This assumes you have the legacy six pack instruments.The bulb can be replaced with an Audi #431-919-040 that can be purchased at your friendly Audi Dealer.  I do have a complete clock that came out of my plane when I did my upgrade,  but the easiest thing is just go to the Audi Dealer and get a new bulb.

• Like 6

I will second StevenL757. The MD93 is the bomb. Nice big white LED display. Simple to operate and USB ports in the bargain. My previous airplane had one and I don’t have room in the G1000 panel now but I am looking for a way because I like it even over the G1000 internal unit which is a PIA to use.

My Encore has this same clock. Before this thread, I thought that it was just dim and hard to read. It has been that way since I purchased the plane, I didn't know any better, I had never seen how the clock was supposed to look. Today the clock has a new bulb and is much more readable. Another win for Mooneyspace.

Larry

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So changing that little bulb is difficult, in my panel at least. There is access to the rear but getting close is the problem. I made this little tool in my 3D printer. I’ve attached the stl file if anybody has a printer and wants to make it.

1551a5e8082cf69fea2bc49729c52fa9.jpg

3440fde36119e43dba283ff1217f0d5a.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4a4yxv65ahc1a5s/clock_tool.stl?dl=0

• Like 1

14 hours ago, larryb said:

So changing that little bulb is difficult, in my panel at least. There is access to the rear but getting close is the problem. I made this little tool in my 3D printer. I’ve attached the story file if anybody has a printer and wants to make it.

1551a5e8082cf69fea2bc49729c52fa9.jpg

3440fde36119e43dba283ff1217f0d5a.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4a4yxv65ahc1a5s/clock_tool.stl?dl=0

That's bad-ass!  Printing now...

So we order the Audi bulb that Don suggested, it is a 12 volt bulb as was the one we removed from Peter’s Bravo, this made some sense as it’s supposed to be an automotive clock.  

Turned on the power and it immediately blew.  We pulled it out and soldered a 24 volt bulb into the bulb holder, on battery and ground power the bulb was fine, started the engine, turned on the alternators and the bulb blew.

Any thoughts on this?

Clarence

A 24V bulb in a 24V circuit... should work for years...

There is no wrong way to wire it... (is there?)

Additional homework... what is the actual voltage being delivered To the bulb socket?

Expect that the bulb was at fault... ?

Check to make sure something isn’t bleeding a high voltage into the system accidentally... that would get more expensive than the lost bulb...

Check the specs of the bulb... is it really a 24V bulb?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• 3 weeks later...