Local hangar and tie down costs

At Roanoke, Va I pay $385/ mo for an old t-hangar with sliding manual doors and partial concrete floor. Those are the cheap ones, I think the newer t-hangars with electric doors around around $455/ month. These are also owned by Signature... All the other hangars have fairytale waiting lists that are likely due to how they’re managed as mentioned above. When speaking with the manager about hangars at Lynchburg ($335/ mo) she said that one aircraft had left in the past year. We’re by no means in a metropolis like some of the higher hangar rents mentioned. Not much further down the road at KMTV hangars are $150 iirc. But that’s a 1.5 hour drive for me instead of 1 hour...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMRN, municipally owned equally by 2 counties and their county seat cities. 5500' well maintained runway. I pay $250 for a substantial, nearly new, metal T Hanger, concrete, electric bi-fold door, lights and power including 230V for my compressor is included.

There is also a "community" hangar, open on ramp side, which houses about 10 planes and an "corporate" hangar, two doors, insulated, that's somewhat larger. Both are cheaper than the private Ts. 

IMG_20180629_171729504_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180710_142418433_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

KSUS in Chesterfield MO, southwest side of the STL Class B. Lots of different hangar type and size options, including owning on leased land, but here's the average info germane to this thread, and what I know to be true from my rental/lease experience:

Shadeport $190/mo with electricity available, long (>6 months) waiting list

T-hangars $265/mo and includes electricity, short (<6 months) waiting list

50' x 50' box $800/mo with electricity, $700.mo if you pay your own electricity. I pay my own electric for less than $40/mo, and have 4 banks of 8" fluorescent lighting, a refrigerator, several battery chargers, 120V compressor, and small office equipment. No HVAC, and I have a short walk to find my "palm tree". Longer (>6 months)waiting list.

Most hangars have electric bifold doors and concrete floors, most leak when it rains hard... pretty standard I think.

Cheers,
Rick

KHEG in Jacksonville Florida. I pay $300 for a nice metal 42’ hangar. Bifold doors and electricity included. Nice GA airport with friendly folks. Larger hangars available. Waiting list to get a hangar but the wait time is not long (months not years)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca53539d24d91d7f21d7213bbb70ed14.jpg

19 hours ago, SantosDumont said:

We have Vegas prices for hangars here in Vegas.

HND tiedown: $45/mo, T-hangar: $1200/mo
BVU tiedown: $45/mo, T-hangar $450/mo

Holy smokes.   The previous owner of my airplane kept it at BVU for nearly twenty years, much of it outside.    Now I see why!   

20 hours ago, Davidv said:

My plane was in one of these hangars before I bought it.  Kind of funny to see a Mooney sitting in there with all of that space...

Yeah I think it's waaaay too much he is asking for, he's been trying to rent it for 6 months now. For that kinda money he has NOTHING in there just 4 walls, all the other hangars in that row have apartments in there.

KSAC,Sacramento Executive...540 per month for large 65x45 T hangar ,asphalt floors,sliding metal doors (heavy).Price includes power and lights 240 volt service,free dumpster and oil reclaim tank.Bathrooms two hangars over.Taxes are 154 county and 30 or 40 rainwater mitigation depending on foot print yearly

Edited by thinwing
Clarity

• 2 years later...

KLRO, Mt Pleasant, near CHS is somewhere over 5 years. When I last checked, the county hangars were $350 and a row of private hangars were $450. I don't recall how someone built them. Space is a premium due to wetlands around the airport. Supposedly, the airport commission has been planning on new hangars for years. No clue on when they will actually break ground. 

On 10/10/2019 at 2:17 PM, jaylw314 said:

Might be a little less elsewhere in the region

When I was asking around for a pending move to KSFF they were in the $500 range.  Surprised there's such a difference - though they are limited in number so that's probably the driving factor.

ADDED:  Just saw @PT20J comment that he's paying "...$280/mo for a T-hangar with power and air and concrete floor in Port Townsend WA..."

Edited by PeteMc

On 10/10/2019 at 8:54 AM, Vance Harral said:

Going rate for a T-hangar in Longmont, CO (North Denver Metro Area) is $300/month.  Relatively new hangar (built 2005), bifold door, electricity included.

@Vance Harral Know of any openings?  message me if you hear of anything available.

I'm at Greeley, CO (KGXY), just moved from a sliding door, dirt floor (I added outdoor carpet over this) with cement pad T-hangar $215/mo (limited snow removal) to an electric door asphalt floor group 6pack T hangar (no inner walls) with snow removal for $235/mo.  Both have electric but unheated.

IMG_4543.jpg

IMG_4540.jpg

18 minutes ago, Marc_B said:

@Vance Harral Know of any openings?  message me if you hear of anything available.

@Marc_B, I'd message you if I had any leads, but immediate availability is essentially zero at KLMO here in 2022, barring having a personal connection with someone.  There is an official waiting list that's months long (perhaps not too bad, at least it's not decades long like at some other places).  But the only person I know of who had any success getting a hangar recently, just lucked into a slot in a community hangar operated by the local flight school, which the owner occasionally offers to good current/former flight school clients.  I flew with that guy this weekend, and his airplane is well protected in the community hangar.  Plenty of space, bathroom in the back, pretty decent setup.  But we had to move a Bonanza out of the way to get his airplane out, and it was kind of an involved process.

I'll keep my eyes and ears out and message you if I hear of anything coming up.  The crying shame is that a developer built a half dozen new hangars on the south side of the airport last year, and he's willing and able to build more; but now the city has decided his operation is lucrative enough that they want him to provide about $1M of "infrastructure improvements" to that side of the airport on his own dime, before they'll sign off on any additional units.  For now, he has told them to pound sand, so nothing is happening except completion of the most recent unit - which is already spoken for.

39 minutes ago, Marc_B said:

the politics of hangars pretty much everywhere around here seem really ridiculous and overbearing

True, but I can tell you from experience that's not unique to Northern Colorado.  Pretty much every airport anywhere near a major metropolitan area has the same issues.  If you think it's bad here, strike up a conversation with someone from the Bay Area some time!

The Memphis area is ridiculous. Nothing available for 50 miles around. I just pure dumb luck stumbled in to a shared (2 Plane) hangar when I brought my plane up to KOLV from a space a friend of mine let me use for a while when I first got my J. The shared hangar is owned by the City and the FBO helps me push the plane back in. I pay 425.00 a month for this square hangar. Electricity is included with a bathroom, electric bi-fold door and overhead water system for fires at KOLV. A few hangars became available at a local Memphis airport but they were wore out, old, and I don't know if I could have gotten my Mooney to turn tight enough to get in or out of those. They were probably half the price so I said no thank you. 

KVUJ is between everywhere in Stanly County, NC, 5500' runway with ILS and two LPV approaches, tower operates part time.  There is a shorter parallel runway sometimes used by C130s.  Tie down is $25/mo.  Open front T hangars, no door, no electricity, $100/mo. There are some nice enclosed hangars the county owns, I think the smaller ones that will hold two or three piston singles for $300/mo. They do have electrically operated doors.  Like everywhere, there is a waiting list measured in years.  Airport is closed two days this week for some military training.  24 Hour PPR.  Can't get away with that anywhere but here. But, here I am in Stanly County.

At least I'm pointed NE, facing away from the afternoon sun.

20220315_113309.thumb.jpg.3fcdf6329dede461448b81bd70a9c0ca.jpg

On 3/13/2022 at 11:50 PM, tim417 said:

@Huitt3106 Do you know if Million Air North is still accepting prospective hangar tenants? That T hangar rate seems amazingly low even for 2019zzz

Was this directed at me? Are you looking at Roanoke or Long Beach? Because you mentioned Million Air North which is at my home drome.

@NotarPilot Oops! Yes, Million Air North at KLGB. I used to rent out of Aces High. Anyway, yes, do you know if Million Air North had a wait list and what their prices range for a T hangar for new tenants? I can’t seem to find any contact information for them. I am out that way from time to time as LB Aero is an A&P I use. 

I used to feel pretty smug on threads about hangar rental costs because I live with my plane in a fly-in community, but recently the costs of building a hangar have gone way up!  A hangar that cost $50k to build 20 years ago is over $100K today....if you can get the local building inspector to approve it!  The cost of building materials is up, but the cost of complying with all the regs is WAAAY up.  People who are trying to build hangars in my community are not having fun.

Yes, it’s gotten crazy, everything is crazy. My hangar was built 15 yrs ago and is 60x50, residential hangars here are only allowed to be 2, 000 sq ft and apparently that’s being enforced now. Then seemingly random things are being enforced like grounding points, fire doors. I wouldn’t be surprised if sprinkler systems is next.

But owning I believe is best long term, renting a hangar is similar to renting a residence, 20 years later and you have no equity.

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, tim417 said:

@NotarPilot Oops! Yes, Million Air North at KLGB. I used to rent out of Aces High. Anyway, yes, do you know if Million Air North had a wait list and what their prices range for a T hangar for new tenants? I can’t seem to find any contact information for them. I am out that way from time to time as LB Aero is an A&P I use. 

I’m still paying $650 a month and they might have a hangar available. They definitely have ramp space to tie down at. If you need contact info shoot me a message. 

• Thanks 1