Local hangar and tie down costs

I’ve noticed there’s no website or thread that posts info on what local hangar and tie down rates are.  I figure we can all share here for people looking at a particular airport they may want to base out of.  You don’t have to be based at the airport to post info. If you happen to know what a certain airport charges please post anyways.

I’m based at Long Beach, CA (LGB) and I pay $650 per month for a small T hangar about 40 feet wide at “Million Air North” no affiliation with that Million Air by the way.  Tie downs are $150 per month.

I’ve also heard Corona, CA (AJO) charges $30 per month for tie downs.

After having just finished searching for a hangar, I'm familiar with the prices at all the airports around me. 

Salina (KSLN) = $93/mo - concrete floor T-Hangar, electric included.  (This is where I'm at)

Abilene (K78) = $90/mo - concrete parking pad w/dirt floor T-Hangar, electric doors, electric included.

McPherson (KMPR) = $75/mo - concrete floor T-Hangar, manual door, electric included

Ellsworth (9K7) = $50/mo - concrete parking pad w/dirt floor T-Hangar, manual door, electric included

As for tie downs, no tie down fees for overnight or long term parking except at KSLN.  They charge $7 for overnight parking at the FBO, but long term parking is over by the maintenance shop with no fee.

• Like 3

A T-hangar at KLAL is $347.75/month inc. tax.

My box hangar (King Air size) at KPLR is $375.00 /month. T-hangars are in the $225+ range depending on services (electric doors vs. slide, concrete floor vs. asphalt, etc.).

Good idea for a thread.   

At Phoenix Deer Valley I pay $221.43/mo for a 40' tee with electric door, electricity, and paved floor.    A basic tie-down is $26.87/mo.    Phoenix does a relatively good job managing their airports this way, and the prices and waiting list for DVT are published here:

https://deervalleyairport.com/DoingBusiness/RentHangar

The small hangar wait list used to run about six months, but it's up to ten months now and is much longer than it used to be.   Some of the other valley airports have wait lists >10 years.

Looks like things are a little cheaper at Goodyear ($164/mo for a 40' tee), but the wait list is longer:

https://goodyearairport.com/DoingBusiness/RentHangar

Some of us suspect that the differences in wait times between the local airports is partly due to management style.   At some of the airports once you get a hangar you have it until you give it up, regardless of whether you've had an airplane in it or not.   Some wind up being sub-let so the renter doesn't have to give it up, which most of the agreements prohibit.  These are the airports with ten or twenty-year wait lists.  Phoenix tends to enforce the agreements and kicks people out when they're not in compliance, so you can actually get a hangar before you're too old to fly.

1 minute ago, EricJ said:

Good idea for a thread.   

At Phoenix Deer Valley I pay $221.43/mo for a 40' tee with electric door, electricity, and paved floor.    A basic tie-down is $26.87/mo.    Phoenix does a relatively good job managing their airports this way, and the prices and waiting list for DVT are published here:

https://deervalleyairport.com/DoingBusiness/RentHangar

The small hangar wait list used to run about six months, but it's up to ten months now and is much longer than it used to be.   Some of the other valley airports have wait lists >10 years.

Looks like things are a little cheaper at Goodyear ($164/mo for a 40' tee), but the wait list is longer:

https://goodyearairport.com/DoingBusiness/RentHangar

Some of us suspect that the differences in wait times between the local airports is partly due to management style.   At some of the airports once you get a hangar you have it until you give it up, regardless of whether you've had an airplane in it or not.   Some wind up being sub-let so the renter doesn't have to give it up, which most of the agreements prohibit.  These are the airports with ten or twenty-year wait lists.  Phoenix tends to enforce the agreements and kicks people out when they're not in compliance, so you can actually get a hangar before you're too old to fly.

Stop depressing us members in South Florida... :)

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gagarin said:

I am based at KFXE in Fort Lauderdale, FL and pay $719/month including taxes and electricity for a small T hangar for my M20J. When I first moved in there was trimmed grass but now is trimmed weeds. The hangars are well kept with palm trees for relief before boarding

You must be my neighbor, and yes, the tropical inspired bathrooms right outside our hangars are a nice touch...

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, EricJ said:

That was true of KGMU.  The wait list is currently 5-7 years, but before it was 30+.  They did a complete restructure of the the rules about 4 years ago.  They went thought and confiscated all of the empty hangars.  If there wasn't a plane in the hangar, they had 30 days to get one in there.  The tennants weren't allowed to sublet.  The plane in the hangar must belong to the hangar owner.  They then changed the list policy.  If you were at the top of the list and didn't have a plane when the hangar came available, you could no longer skip.  You had to go to the end of the list.  The last big change was you had to pay a deposit just to be on the list.  This made significant movement in the waiting list and got rid of all of the 'casual' wailist members.  So my plane only gets to tan on the ramp for 5 more years instead of 25. :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

I’ve noticed there’s no website or thread that posts info on what local hangar and tie down rates are.  

How many threads would you like?

Do you want to build or rent?

Would you like a history that goes back a decade?

How about choosing a layout for several hangars?

What about my favorite... the hangar home... for the forever plane...

:)

Stuff changes every year... so an annual update on this survey would be warranted...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Salem KSLE

• $200 - sublet hangar space in a multi-plane hangar - electricity
  • $150 - not-so-nice T hangar with asphalt pad and gravel floors - no electricity

Corvallis KCVO

• $172 - OK T-hangar, asphalt floor with electricity
  • $160 - OK T-hangar, asphalt floor without electricity

Might be a little less elsewhere in the region since those two airports have the lowest ILS minimums in the Willamette valley

I know it's apples and oranges, but I often wonder how building/owning/maintaining a hangar compares to renting.

Most people who build, don't build a T hangar, so it's even tougher to compare.

Say, a typical 50X50 hangar costs $70K to build and the land is $70K.  If you finance at 7%for 15 years with 20% down.

Maintenance costs are insurance, electricity, a new roof after 15 years.  Most of the other expenses are the same as renting:  Beer, epoxy floor, beer, couch, beer, etc.

So you keep the hangar 20 years and then sell it for essentially what you paid for it, how far ahead, or behind would you be as compared to a typical municipal airport with rents that rise with inflation?

22 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

I know it's apples and oranges, but I often wonder how building/owning/maintaining a hangar compares to renting.

Most people who build, don't build a T hangar, so it's even tougher to compare.

Say, a typical 50X50 hangar costs $70K to build and the land is $70K.  If you finance at 7%for 15 years with 20% down.

Maintenance costs are insurance, electricity, a new roof after 15 years.  Most of the other expenses are the same as renting:  Beer, epoxy floor, beer, couch, beer, etc.

So you keep the hangar 20 years and then sell it for essentially what you paid for it, how far ahead, or behind would you be as compared to a typical municipal airport with rents that rise with inflation?

The advantage of building a multiple aircraft T-hangar is that it is easier to rent out the other individual spaces.  That could help pay for the cost of building it.

Just now, jaylw314 said:

The advantage of building a multiple aircraft T-hangar is that it is easier to rent out the other individual spaces.  That could help pay for the cost of building it.

Yes, I agree, but didn't want to complicate the comparison further by bringing in the rental aspect. 

Newport Oregon City Leased T-Hangar(Electric, Concrete Floor): $190/mo

Owned Box Hangar: About $40k to buy from a previous owner, most need a new roof and/or siding(they're all wood) and the land lease I think is $0.25/sf

Tie down(no one does that here): $40/month

We have Vegas prices for hangars here in Vegas.

HND tiedown: $45/mo, T-hangar: $1200/mo
BVU tiedown: $45/mo, T-hangar $450/mo

I was in a 6-bay community hangar at BVU, each bay had their own electric folding door, paid $500, then someone bought it and raised the rent to $600.  Could probably make some money building a row of T-hangars.

Northside Portland ORegon area is $330-$350 plus electricity with manual door, but wait lists are fairly long.  Been on the troutdale waitlists for over a year.  I may have to move down to Salem, thanks for posting that Jay!