air oil separator alternative question

I was wondering if someone might have a solution for an oil separator? I know like airwolf make oil separators but I was looking for one that didn't dump oil from the breather back into the engine, but rather a separate container. I recall somewhere reading about the cons dumping oil back into the engine. I believe it was John Schwaner ( The  Sacramento sky ranch guy) said something along the lines of the oil coming out of the oil breather which contains acidic oil which then gets piped back into the engine, is bit like taking pipe from your butt and piping back into your mouth while you eat. abit gross  I but the point is  a wise one.  Considering John's background. I recall reading someone's else's article basically saying the same thing.

Thanks,

James '67C

Just my $0.02, but the purpose of an air/oil separator is to prevent oil loss by recycling the oil back into the engine and dumping air out the breather instead (hence "air/oil separator"). If you were to install one, but have the oil recycled into a container instead of going back into the engine (aka move the hose from the oil/air separator into a container with a drain), then that would kind of defeat the point... it'd be a fair bit of money to do nothing. If it's just a matter of keeping the belly clean, keep the plane under 7qts of oil and clean the belly once a week which will take about 10 minutes since it won't be accumulating very much of it. Just a different opinion to consider.

• Like 1