LASAR is without power and internet for 5 days (10/9)

kortopates

50 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

I have in fact lost 2 million in pension assets to a bankruptcy. However, I chose to continue employment with a sinking company. In the private sector all transactions, regardless if you are creditor or customer are at will. No such status exists for the public sector. Try telling them you are at will and don’t wish to participate any more and you will find men with guns on your doorstep telling you to participate or be Wesley Snipe’s cell mate.

Not always so.   The previously cited Veteran's Administration is one example.

Edit:   There've been plenty of monopolies in the private sector, too.  When they get too big the gov't may break them up, and the FTC et al (gov't agencies) monitor mergers in order to try to prevent it.  

Edited by EricJ

39 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Not always so.   The previously cited Veteran's Administration is one example.

I think @GEE-BEE was talking about contributing to government programs, not receiving services. Even the VA is funded by our Federal Income Taxes, good luck reducing yiur contributions to ineffective, mismanaged government programs . . . .

6 minutes ago, Hank said:

I think @GEE-BEE was talking about contributing to government programs, not receiving services. Even the VA is funded by our Federal Income Taxes, good luck reducing yiur contributions to ineffective, mismanaged government programs . . . .

True, we often don't get to pick where our money is spent or to whom it goes, e.g., pensions, 401ks, insurers, title/escrow, banks, etc., etc.   There are many ways besides gov't to be dissatisfied with how your money is spent, and many cases where we have little or no control.   On smaller, more relevant scales, we often see the stories here about the only A&P or IA available at a field or how FBOs make their money.   At least with the gov't you can vote for relevant management.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...