Intake rubber accordion boot

Thanks for the quick response, carosuam. The name is is Mike (hence the N number which stands for ‘4 Mike Young’. Pete is for the truck that I have. 

Yes, I’m doing the annual and that boot is looking pretty scurvy so I’m thinking I need to replace it, but $360 for the thing isn’t sitting very well. Now, I’ve owned N4MY (formerly N9338M) for 29 years, but prior to that I had a Thorp T-18 for 12 years and something like this would have been fixed for a fraction of this sum. I know...I have a certified plane, therefore I must accept those certified prices, but I still find it hard to accept. Still, I love my Mooney as I’m sure we all do, but any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

all the best,

Mike

Interesting...

Do you suppose the one hose lasted that many decades?

My M20C’s was probably 40years old when it started to split on each of the bellow ribs...

The link I included in my post above is clickable and will bring you to a different thread on the topic....

There are a few guys around here that are in the used parts business...

let us know if you are interested in going this way as well...

best regards,

-a-

SWTA Had them at a reasonable price a while back. I don't know if they still do, but it might be a place to consider.

Something else to try:

www.stockmarket.aero

Put in the part number you were trying to find, and it will scour a lot of places to try to find it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

You know, I’m not sure, and I can find no mention of it being replaced in the logs and if that’s the case, I should feel mighty lucky it’s lasted this long. It lives a nice life being hangered here in Arizona but still...I should quit whining and just write the check.. thanks for the advice guys and thanks for welcoming me to your organization. Hope to meet some of you at upcoming events.

Great avatar pic, Mike!

That was quick.

In the event you need the part, the MSC network is usually a good way to get it... one of the best MSCs to go to get parts is Lasar...

Their website usually is up to date with part numbers, pics and prices...

The next few days is going to be tough for Lasar... they are having power outages related to PG&E... this may affect their website and phone... 

best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, Pete 379 said:

You know, I’m not sure, and I can find no mention of it being replaced in the logs and if that’s the case, I should feel mighty lucky it’s lasted this long. It lives a nice life being hangered here in Arizona but still...I should quit whining and just write the check.. thanks for the advice guys and thanks for welcoming me to your organization. Hope to meet some of you at upcoming events.

I would be surprised if the rubber intake boot made it 29 years without being replaced. I've owned my plane for 28 years and have replaced it twice. It is an expensive part. 

23 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I would be surprised if the rubber intake boot made it 29 years without being replaced. I've owned my plane for 28 years and have replaced it twice. It is an expensive part. 

One other factor....it doesn't matter when you buy it, check the date of manufacture!  I bought the similar part for my C model and it didn't last at all.  When I called the manufacturer to complain, it had me read the manufacturing date code.  The darn thing had been on a shelf for 17 years!!!  The replacement (newly manufactured) is still on my plane 15 years later.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

want to have some fun?

Try posting a picture... one of the failing part... in case something is odd compared to the community’s experience....

Want to have some real fun?  Try posting a picture of the entire engine compartment.  Our trusty IA's (and some unofficial IA's) will tell you all the AD's that haven't been properly complied with, all the SB's that should done, etc.  Not that this is bad, but you might quickly find your old trusty bird needs $10k or more of work at the next annual just to be "airworthy." :D:ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, skydvrboy said:

Want to have some real fun?  Try posting a picture of the entire engine compartment.  Our trusty IA's (and some unofficial IA's) will tell you all the AD's that haven't been properly complied with, all the SB's that should done, etc.  Not that this is bad, but you might quickly find your old trusty bird needs $10k or more of work at the next annual just to be "airworthy." :D:ph34r:

Mine purrs like a kitten.

877448569_Rustyengine.jpg.baff9bed6dda2b9ee3c03a53788ae14c.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

I had mine replaced the year I bought it (2005) and then again during this year's annual.  Lasted 14 years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, carusoam said:

Mike,

want to have some fun?

Try posting a picture... one of the failing part... in case something is odd compared to the community’s experience....

Best regards,

-a-

Like this?  This is the Ram Air boot that was replaced as a condition of my purchase of my Mooney.

1898648313_RamAirboot2004.jpg.1c9de5d3920e0334998649375d66329a.jpg

• Like 1

Yikes...

Things look good here...

http://www.csobeech.com/GeeBee.html

Things look unhinged here...

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=23776

“In October 2017, the FAA issued a revised Unapproved Parts Notification to include these parts.

The FAA alleges that GEE-BEE continued to advertise five products after the agency had issued a Letter of Rejection and the revised Unapproved Parts Notification that included those products.

GEE-BEE has asked to meet with the FAA to discuss the case.”

What’s up with that, Guy?

Hope this can get sorted...

Best regards,

-a-

33 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Yikes...

Things look good here...

http://www.csobeech.com/GeeBee.html

Things look unhinged here...

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=23776

“In October 2017, the FAA issued a revised Unapproved Parts Notification to include these parts.

The FAA alleges that GEE-BEE continued to advertise five products after the agency had issued a Letter of Rejection and the revised Unapproved Parts Notification that included those products.

GEE-BEE has asked to meet with the FAA to discuss the case.”

What’s up with that Guy?

Hope this can get sorted...

Best regards,

-a-

Their link on the Beech site shows a lot of 404 error messages. If you recall, someone challenged him on the certification of his products and he disappeared for a while. The date of the FAA fine is June 2019. 

• Thanks 1