Mite on Barnstormers

Mooneymite

I do not know a thing about this particular Mite, but I do know that they are becoming harder to find.  I just happened to see this on Barnstormers and it looks like it's got the factory electrical system/A 65-12 engine which is fairly tough to find.  I have no experience with the adjustable pitch prop (NOT a constant speed prop), but that is rare too.  With the  extra fuel tank, one has to be VERY careful about max gross weight.  I'm not sure how anyone over 100# can fly it with full fuel, but like I said, I'm not familiar with this particular plane.

From Barnstormers: 

1952 MOONEY MITE M-18C • $24,900 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • N4070 Serial #260, Complete Restoration 2000. TT 812.6 Hours. Continental A-65-12 engine. TSMOH 212.6 Hours. Flottorp adjustable Propeller. Full electrical System. 6 Gallon Aux Tank. Starter. Garmin GNC 250 XL. Garmin GTX 320 Transponder. Fresh License May 2019. Located Zephyrhills, Florida. EMAIL ONLY. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE. • Contact Jim Stewart, Owner -  located Wesley Chapel, FL United States • Telephone: 813 907-2882 • Fax: 813 907-2882 • Posted October 8, 2019

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, steingar said:

By Odin would I like to fly one of those.

Good luck!  About the only way you get to fly one these days is to own one.

There are tales "back in the day" when FBOs would have them for rent.  A renter would come in, forget to put the gear down.  The FBO would go out, lift it up, extend the gear and replace the prop and rent it out again that same day.  Those days....not any more.

They are a blast to fly, but not if you're a big guy.  Okay if you're tall, but not wide, or heavy.  Occasionally, I'd take mine up to 10K', or so.  It was eerie flying anything that small so far from the earth.

Mites at sunset.JPG

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, steingar said:

Yup.  And if you own one I bet its a lot of work to keep it running. 

Actually, it was a very easy airplane to maintain.  There's just not much airplane to it.  The few parts I replaced were easy to find.  There is a somewhat onerous AD on the wing and tail, but if the plane has been modified with openings for a borescope inspection (AMOC), it's not too bad.  Whatever you spend for maintenance you'll save on fuel!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...