Automotive battery regen

RobertGary1

My Concorde was getting weak. My tester computed it at 100cca. So I put it on my regen for 48 hours and then afterwards charged it. Flew with it and then the plane sat for 2 weeks. On the next start it paused at the first compression but then spun like a top. Ever since it’s been working far better. 

So I’m not sure if it’s necessary to buy an Aviation regen system as the automotive seemed to work well. I’ll probably run a regen on it annually. 

-Robert 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

My Concorde was getting weak. My tester computed it at 100cca. So I put it on my regen for 48 hours and then afterwards charged it. Flew with it and then the plane sat for 2 weeks. On the next start it paused at the first compression but then spun like a top. Ever since it’s been working far better. 

So I’m not sure if it’s necessary to buy an Aviation regen system as the automotive seemed to work well. I’ll probably run a regen on it annually. 

-Robert 

So what brand/ model are you using 

I'm on my third year with Concorde #2, still going strong (replaced #1 preemptively at six and a half years before flying into the hinterlands). All I've ever done is drop them in that black bix in the firewall and fly every niw and again--not near enough, and certainly not every week. YMMV, etc.

Kitplanes magazine ran an article last year reviewing an inexpensive Harbor Freight charger.  To quote the author

"But when a $40 product1 from Harbor Freight saves me a $300 battery, it is worth writing about". 

I have used the same charger on my Concorde and on golf cart/rv batteries with good success

https://www.kitplanes.com/aero-lectrics-66/

• Like 1

You have to be careful with "Battery Reconditioning" modes. Some chargers use higher voltage to de-sulphate the battery plates. In AGM batteries high charge voltages can permanently damage the battery unless the voltage spikes are sent in pulses of 22-28 kHz. If your charger has an AGM mode and a reconditioning mode you are good to go, otherwise check the manual of the charger.