INSTRUMENT RATING

Congrats!

I'm working on mine (been "preparing" for the written for like 1.5 years).  I should be ready by now I suppose. I don't know why but I'm finding it very hard to do the program the local flight school wants me to do. They're having me do some ground school iPad App from Cessna (think its king schools product behind the covers). I find it awful. I really just want to read the text book from Jepp, take the test and then go fly with a CFI, but the school just doesn't work that way.

What was your experience like? What sort of cadence of ground school (on your own or formal) and flight lessons did you keep throughout? Did you do the written early on in the process?

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, larrynimmo said:

I have about 450 hours of which 400 are in my m20j including 100% instrument training

last week while in Cabo got dive certified...after about 25 “resort” dives

i am now “certifiable”

563D0A92-D06E-4C2F-98A3-73A924DDDCAE.jpeg

Congrats on the IR!! You got yours with roughly the same #hrs I had when I finished mine 1.5 years ago. Use it as much as possible. I found the post-rating learning curve almost as steep as in the training , and there are inevitably a few slightly scary lessons that must be learned from attentive practice.  However, I find the ocean far more terrifying, and I so would suggest giving up SCUBA all together so you can stay alive and focused on your flying. ;)

• Sad 1

Continue to ask IR related questions...

Some of the best discussions around here come from newly minted IRs as they take their new knowledge out into the real world... Dev has been a great resource. :)

There are some quirky regional oddities to be discovered...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek said:

Congrats!

I'm working on mine (been "preparing" for the written for like 1.5 years).  I should be ready by now I suppose. I don't know why but I'm finding it very hard to do the program the local flight school wants me to do. They're having me do some ground school iPad App from Cessna (think its king schools product behind the covers). I find it awful. I really just want to read the text book from Jepp, take the test and then go fly with a CFI, but the school just doesn't work that way.

What was your experience like? What sort of cadence of ground school (on your own or formal) and flight lessons did you keep throughout? Did you do the written early on in the process?

I did the Sporty's $40/mo "Platinum" subscription. Cancel it when you pass. I painstakingly went through each section and reviewed each question. I did three practice exams and scored 85-92%. I took the written this past Friday and got a 88%. If you want to get your Official Mooneyspace CB credentials, sign-up for the Sporty's Platinum membership, study the material hard, get the authorization to test certificate (after passing two practice exams with >80%) and cancel the membership. Take the written immediately so the crap is still fresh in your mind. Dedicated students can get away with this for $40. Plus you get access to a ton of other video training. I was bored at work last night and watched the "So You Wanna Fly Twins" series.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

It's quite an accomplishment, but your first venture into hard IMC without your instructor by your side may be a little scary. Just keep your wits about you and you'll do fine.

Congrats.

I don't know about that, when I was in hard IMC with my instructor, and I was so focused on what I was doing he could have been playing the accordion wearing a clown suit and I wouldn't have noticed :) The first time in IMC after I got the IR hardly seemed different...

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1

Just now, jaylw314 said:

I don't know about that, when I was in hard IMC with my instructor, and I was so focused on what I was doing he could have been playing the accordion wearing a clown suit and I wouldn't have noticed :) 

I always felt that his sitting beside me was acting as a crutch. No longer was there somebody yelling at me to watch my altitude or that the HSI was two dots to the left.

Just now, flyboy0681 said:

I always felt that his sitting beside me was acting as a crutch. No longer was there somebody yelling at me to watch my altitude or that the HSI was two dots to the left.

You mean you don't still hear his voice yelling at you? 

My instructor didn't yell, but he said things quietly in a way that made you feel mortified about disappointing him, and I still hear that voice in my head when my altitude is off ;)

4 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

I don't know about that, when I was in hard IMC with my instructor, and I was so focused on what I was doing he could have been playing the accordion wearing a clown suit and I wouldn't have noticed :) The first time in IMC after I got the IR hardly seemed different...

at the very least, you don't owe someone $45/hr if you crash your plane when you're without an instructor.

Congratulations!  You’ve now entered into a whole new world of flying opportunities.  Do your best to keep a healthy respect for aviation,  continue to learn every chance you get  and remember that there’s no flight that absolutely must be made.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Derek said:

Congrats!

I did most of my own ground school through MZero...but their practice test questions were out of date.  I found the ASA practice test book to be more up to date as to the current questions....yet I only scored 87%...if I took it today I would ace it as I learned so much more in preparation for the oral exam.   What is sad to me was that I studied so hard for the exam, made about 50 book marks in the FAR/AIM manual that I came loaded for bear....but examiner asked me questions that I really wasn't prepared to answer.

Questions dealing with physics, aerodynamics, physiology, ….all knowledge questions were scenario based requiring subjection analysis.  I was really glad when he said the major saying...."go get the plane"

• Like 2

9 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

Yesterday I got my instrument rating...hopefully I can now learn how to be an instrument pilot...

CONGRATS!!!!!!

As another newly minted instrument pilot, i'd suggest taking a few long xc with just you and your new rating.

think I learned more in my first few trips then all the time with the instructor