Mooney Mite M-18X plans

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, SWR said:

I would love to see  photos of your three Mites and find out where you got them from I’m one of the old Mooney Mite site members I’ve been working on a dash 55 for many years

Two of the Mooney mites I own we’re rebuilt by my late grandfather.  We found them both and bought them back.  E W King was his name and he had the only M-19 in his garage for many years until he passes away around 1988.  The three we own are as follows

M-18 L  N123C  SN82

M-18 C  N4123  SN291

M-18 C55  N4180  SN345

1164477-large.jpg

379296_515961245092052_160055933_n.jpg

Lew Moon & his Mooney Mite.jpg

Edited by Conrad Huffstutler
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 1:16 PM, Conrad Huffstutler said:

Found a set of plans!  They came with a bunch of parts and a flying M-18C 55!!

What size and how many pages?  There is a great place in Wichita (original home of the Mite) that I can get them copied and digitized inexpensively.  Thanks!  -Ron

PS Would Mark Wiebe have a set?

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 11/4/2019 at 3:07 PM, SWR said:

I would love to see  photos of your three Mites and find out where you got them from I’m one of the old Mooney Mite site members I’ve been working on a dash 55 for many years

Hello Scott,

Do you still have the original -55 wing that you load tested to incredible G's? I still have a second Mite but it doesn't have the wing anymore (trampled by cattle when stored at Denver Jacobson's brother's farm).

32 minutes ago, Kevin Harberg said:

Hello Scott,

Do you still have the original -55 wing that you load tested to incredible G's? I still have a second Mite but it doesn't have the wing anymore (trampled by cattle when stored at Denver Jacobson's brother's farm).

Kevin

There was a project in South Carolina recently with most of the wing intact.  Send me an IM with your email and I will send you the email and pictures I received.  

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 11:02 AM, Sblack said:

I am also looking for a set of plans. Please let me know if any of you know someone with a set, or where I could get copies for study. Thanks.

Scott Black

Montreal Canada

Hello Scott,

You may also want the 48 page assembly manual along with the prints. It includes drawings and parts number listings.

001.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/31/2021 at 12:53 PM, carusoam said:

let’s let @Kevin Harbergknow you are asking...

Best regards,

-a-

Sorry for the delay in replying to this post (notification setting issues - my bad). This manual was from Mooney Mite Aircraft Corporation 1970. It contains information relevant to the Mooney M18 (the owner of the company purchased the M-18 design and made the aircraft available to the public as a homebuilt design). I have a copy but no longer have the full set of prints. I believe copies are still available on the "Mite Site".

Regards,

Kevin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's one listing of plans/prints/manuals etc. for the Experimental Mooney M-18X that was available in the early 1970's. This ad was inserted in the Mooney Mites Owner's Association quarterly bulletin (April - July 1972). Mooney Mite Aircraft Corporation sold copies of original drawings of the Certified Mooney M-18. These drawings are of the Lycoming 0145 Powered M-18L (780lbs Gr Wt)

M-18X 600DPI.jpg

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Hmmmm…

Mooney was once familiar with Experimental and build your own aircraft…

Interesting!

:)

-a-

Actually, when Al Mooney sold "Mooney", the new owners of the company purchased "Mooney" conditionally upon the inclusion of a 4 place aircraft design based on the M-18. After the start of the M20 production, "Mooney" stopped production of the M18. After many years with no Mooney single seat aircraft being made, The Mooney Mite Aircraft Corporation bought the plans from the owners of "Mooney" with the intent of making the plane available again via the Experimental market. These plans are now in the hands of the Smithsonian.

PS. If you hover over my thumbnail photo, you will see the aircraft in the left bank is not an M20. They are so similar that with the Faux window on the M-18X, you will only differentiate between airborne models by the sound of the engine.

Edited by Kevin Harberg
Added PS.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
On 11/6/2019 at 3:19 AM, Conrad Huffstutler said:

Two of the Mooney mites I own we’re rebuilt by my late grandfather.  We found them both and bought them back.  E W King was his name and he had the only M-19 in his garage for many years until he passes away around 1988.  The three we own are as follows

M-18 L  N123C  SN82

M-18 C  N4123  SN291

M-18 C55  N4180  SN345

1164477-large.jpg

379296_515961245092052_160055933_n.jpg

Lew Moon & his Mooney Mite.jpg

I'm surprised that Mooney built them with the cylinders hanging in the breeze. Cooling would be more reliable and performance would be much improved by a properly designed cowling. I guess they were in a hurry to replace the Crosley engines...

14 hours ago, Marc de Piolenc said:

I'm surprised that Mooney built them with the cylinders hanging in the breeze. Cooling would be more reliable and performance would be much improved by a properly designed cowling. I guess they were in a hurry to replace the Crosley engines...

The starboard cylinders suffer the most with heat build up around the exhaust ports. My M18 cylinders look like pictures I have seen of other CA65 powered Mites. I considered purchasing Piper Cub "eyebrows" but just couldn't picture them on a "faster" plane. Many shrouds have been fitted to other Mites to balance cooling. Here is a picture of typical Mite cylinder heat signature.

Camrose-20130511-00075.jpg.f608593d3274b79e31f7063c9f604c42.jpg