GTN Database update

Just now, Browncbr1 said:

I had a discrepancy of serial number on my fly garmin account that caused same symptom.  Garmin fixed it for me.  

Garmin suggested that I verify the serial number and the unit does agree with the one on Flygarmin.

39 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Actually, I need to fess up that I made a mistake when I said that these cards cost $500. Looking back over my emails from when I was making inquiries to Garmin dealers (Garmin doesn't sell them direct and users have to purchase them through dealers), I came across this reply:

"Part number 00-00900-10 is $550.00 - one week backorder"

Please accept my apologies for misstating the actual price. I promise it won't happen again.

I'm guessing the reason it costs so much is not because of the price of the SD card.  If I''m not mistaken, the card comes complete with all databases on it so you are in effect buying the card and a one time update on all databases.

Make sure the write-protect tab on the memory card is not inadvertently sliding to read-only. I had trouble updating a GTN650 once. The database wrote to the card fine, but nothing happened when I booted up with it. It sounds similar to what's happening to you.

It turned out the write-protect tab was loose and sliding to read-only when I inserted it into Garmin. For whatever reason, this prevented the Garmin from recognizing the updates. FWIW it was an aftermarket Sandisk 2 GB card.

Edited by louisut

Just now, louisut said:

Make sure the write-protect tab on the memory card is not inadvertently sliding to read-only. I had trouble updating a GTN650 once. The database wrote to the card fine, but nothing happened when I booted up with it. It sounds similar to what's happening to you.

It turned out the write-protect tab was loose and sliding to read-only when I inserted it into Garmin. For whatever reason, this prevented the Garmin from recognizing the updates. FWIW it was an aftermarket Sandisk 2 GB card.

Good point, but checked that.

I know you mentioned trying two SD cards already, but have you tried a third just to check? Any aftermarket card works. The databases are small, so any spare one you have sitting around will work. There's nothing special you need to do as the Garmin app formats the card before writing the database.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, louisut said:

I know you mentioned trying two SD cards already, but have you tried a third just to check? Any aftermarket card works. The databases are small, so any spare one you have sitting around will work. There's nothing special you need to do as the Garmin app formats the card before writing the database.

I was under the impression that there is an inaccessible hidden bit on the Garmin cards that tell the unit that it's a genuine card.

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

The card is a standard SD, the issue is Garmin/Jepp have a loader ID file on the SD that recognizes it as a database card. That is how they were justifying the $150 per card to replace a lost or defective one. Someone posted here a duplication process that I used to make another GTN database card to have as a spare.

I think about every fourth Garmin thread makes me very glad I have an Avidyne IFD.  ;) 

I'm waiting for the day when a certified GPS navigator exists that can use the government databases with no fees, like some of the EFBs do now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

I was under the impression that there is an inaccessible hidden bit on the Garmin cards that tell the unit that it's a genuine card.

Not in my experience. I've used various cards of different brands and sizes to update a 650, including an MMC card in an SD adapter. No issues with any of them. As I mentioned, the Garmin utility formats the card when you run the updater.

Edited by louisut
  • Like 1

What data is kept on the SD card? If I take my spare (which I just found) and do a navdata update, which I have never done before, will I have to copy over my checklist file onto that SD card too or is the checklist data kept in the GTN unit itself?

14 hours ago, Little Runaway said:

Been too lazy and too cheap. It's not worth flying the plane over to an authorized dealer to get the upgrade done, and no dealer in my area will do it for free. The average that they are asking is $200, which is outrageous since all that's required is placing the SD Card in the unit and waiting for it to update.

I'll have it done the next time the plane is in for other avionics work.

6 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Been too lazy and too cheap. It's not worth flying the plane over to an authorized dealer to get the upgrade done, and no dealer in my area will do it for free. The average that they are asking is $200, which is outrageous since all that's required is placing the SD Card in the unit and waiting for it to update.

I'll have it done the next time the plane is in for other avionics work.

Well, it is a simple or minor preservation task that does not involve complex assembly operations, and doesn't affect W&B or electrical loading, and the MacPherson interpretation from FAA counsel says that 43 App A par (c) isn't a comprehensive list, and AC 43-12a says, "Owners and pilots must use good judgment when determining if a specific function should be classified as preventive maintenance."

;)

Sandisk Ultra 8GB class 10 cards actually work better than the cheapos Garmin sticks stickers on. Testing with the (engine not running of course), I have found that charts load quicker. But of course this against what the manual says so I do not recommend anybody use. Needs to be 8GB to work properly.

• Like 1

Here's the epilogue to this posting. Garmin suggested that I reformat the SD card and reinstall the current software, low and behold that worked. I am now completely up to date.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Hum, that advice sounds familiar...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Hum, that advice sounds familiar... emoji6.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry Bob, I should have acknowledged you as well. You did mention it before I received the Garmin response. I just needed confirmation from them that reformatting wouldn't remove the Base map, which it doesn't because it's resident in the system.

13 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Sorry Bob, I should have acknowledged you as well. You did mention it before I received the Garmin response. I just needed confirmation from them that reformatting wouldn't remove the Base map, which it doesn't because it's resident in the system.

Don't be sorry, no skin off my nose. I posted the reformat instruction including the reassurance that it would do no harm because I'm sure a lot of pilots are hesitant to reformat a Garmin card. But as in your case it is often the only fix that will work. I reformatted a $1000+ FS 510 card.