GTN Database update

I have a support ticket open with Garmin over this but thought I would throw it out in case somebody else has experienced it.

When I download a new database update (Navigation, Obstacle and SafeTaxi, Terrain and Charts), the unit is not recognizing it and doesn't even prompt me to load the new information. Sporadically it does recognize and load the FliteCharts and Terrain database (as it did today), but other times it does not. This has been happening for the last three updates and the unit won't update anything beyond the last successful load, which expired in June. I've been using both SD cards that came with the unit and feel it's unlikely both have gone bad. Here are two photos from today, the first one from before today's attempted load, and then after.

Photo1.JPG

Photo2.JPG

One thing I discovered is that you have to put the SD card in the slot before the unit is powered on.  (I'm sure this is in the handbook.)

I tried a whole bunch of times to update using various SD cards, with no success, until I realized that I was doing it wrong :)

Just now, toto said:

One thing I discovered is that you have to put the SD card in the slot before the unit is powered on.  (I'm sure this is in the handbook.)

I tried a whole bunch of times to update using various SD cards, with no success, until I realized that I was doing it wrong :)

I've had the unit for 8 years and always replaced the cards with the unit off, which I believe is the only way it will recognize an update - when it's booting up.

I have had the GTN650 hanging and not transferring when using the FS510 to update (using wifi). I have had to restart the GTN650 and its been a crapshoot many times. Never had a problem using the SD card, but I am not always prepared with an updated SD card. So it can be frustrating.

11 minutes ago, alextstone said:

Replace SD card.  Use a low capacity card though.  

I have thought about that but have also read a lot of discussions that focused on not using a TSO'd card and the "potential" trouble that it may bring should something happen which would result in the NTSB getting involved.

• Like 1

I have thought about that but have also read a lot of discussions that focused on not using a TSO'd card and the "potential" trouble that it may bring should something happen which would result in the NTSB getting involved.
If the NTSB is ever involved in my flying activities, I'll have much bigger troubles than a non-TSO'ed card

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cbarry said:

Could it be that the unit’s software needs updating?  

Can't imagine that since Garmin still supports database updates for units long that have ceased production and haven't had software updates for years. What I want to do at all costs is avoid a trip to a Garmin dealer to have the issue analyzed.

Back in 2016, there’s another series of posts that appear to address your issue.  For example, one GTN750 owner points out that if the current database is being recognized by the unit, then that cycle will show in the standby area of the system until that cycle’s date arrives and then it will automatically shift into the “current” position.  You might search for this past discussion because it appears to cover the topic.

5 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

A flash card is definitely one of those areas where "industry standard" specs apply.   If anybody did give you trouble about a card, they're all the same standards.

12 hours ago, cbarry said:

Back in 2016, there’s another series of posts that appear to address your issue.  For example, one GTN750 owner points out that if the current database is being recognized by the unit, then that cycle will show in the standby area of the system until that cycle’s date arrives and then it will automatically shift into the “current” position.  You might search for this past discussion because it appears to cover the topic.

I just went over that thread and most of what was suggested here was suggested back then. Ironically, I had a post on that thread where I mentioned that I've never had a problem updating the database. Woe is me.

9 hours ago, EricJ said:

A flash card is definitely one of those areas where "industry standard" specs apply.   If anybody did give you trouble about a card, they're all the same standards.

The card is a standard SD, the issue is Garmin/Jepp have a loader ID file on the SD that recognizes it as a database card. That is how they were justifying the $150 per card to replace a lost or defective one. Someone posted here a duplication process that I used to make another GTN database card to have as a spare.

Just now, Marauder said:

The card is a standard SD, the issue is Garmin/Jepp have a loader ID file on the SD that recognizes it as a database card. That is how they were justifying the $150 per card to replace a lost or defective one. Someone posted here a duplication process that I used to make another GTN database card to have as a spare.

$150? They are now $500.

6 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Wow! I guess they aren't making enough on the hardware. :D

Actually, I need to fess up that I made a mistake when I said that these cards cost $500. Looking back over my emails from when I was making inquiries to Garmin dealers (Garmin doesn't sell them direct and users have to purchase them through dealers), I came across this reply:

"Part number 00-00900-10 is $550.00 - one week backorder"

Please accept my apologies for misstating the actual price. I promise it won't happen again.

• Like 1

Actually, I need to fess up that I made a mistake when I said that these cards cost $500. Looking back over my emails from when I was making inquiries to Garmin dealers (Garmin doesn't sell them direct and users have to purchase them through dealers), I came across this reply:

"Part number 00-00900-10 is $550.00 - one week backorder"

Please accept my apologies for misstating the actual price. I promise it won't happen again.

3095dd427e1a4ad8285a3748fb2708d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro