CB

moontownMooney

8 hours ago, Stnelson903 said:

Cheap bastard. You do not want to be known as one. And if you are a pilot, being one can kill you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Saint Nelson has either completely missed the point or truly doesn't understand the concept.  For him, though, his statement might be appropriate. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stnelson903 said:

Cheap bastard. You do not want to be known as one. And if you are a pilot, being one can kill you.

But it can also keep you flying. I am in need of another car... the 2008 Toyota I drive is falling apart and has 248000 km. Due to change. I could have went for a new $25K car.... of the year. Shopping around I found a similar toyota... much younger, no rust, half the millage at $6K. Sold! The savings will allow me to keep the Mooney. 

It is all a matter of choice.

Yves

• Like 7

To me being a CB carries a positive connotation and means two things:

1. Being committed to resisting the vast sums spent in aviation to buy maintenance-induced failure risk in excess of safety dividend. This philosophy is captured in Mike Busch's book "Manifesto."  Being a good CB involves taking the time to understand each maintenance issue thoroughly and the risks and benefits of addressing that issue in a particular way.  It means never blindly following the guidance of an A&P, a manufacturer TBO, or your hangar buddy but rather taking the time to evaluate risks and benefits of each maintenance issue carefully. My impression is there are many owners who throw money at their planes with the delusion that it is contributing to safety, and then there are the ones who "get it." The latter are the CBs. Being a good CB is the very opposite of negligence.

2. Having contempt for aspects of both the regulatory bureaucracy and the litigious culture that drive up costs while failing to add safety and making a mockery of justice.  There is not much that a typical CB like me can do about these problems, except maybe learning when to use a hangar elf occasionally (and when not to).  

Edited by DXB
  • Like 4

To me being a CB carries a positive connotation and means two things:
1. Being committed to resisting the vast sums spent in aviation to buy maintenance-induced failure risk in excess of safety dividend. This philosophy is captured in Mike Busch's book "Manifesto."  Being a good CB involves taking the time to understand each maintenance issue thoroughly and the risks and benefits of addressing that issue in a particular way.  It means never blindly following the guidance of an A&P, a manufacturer TBO, or your hangar buddy but rather taking the time to evaluate risks and benefits of each maintenance issue carefully. My impression is there are many owners who throw money at their planes with the delusion that it is contributing to safety, and then there are the ones who "get it." The latter are the CBs. Being a good CB is the very opposite of negligence.
2. Having contempt for aspects of both the regulatory bureaucracy and the litigious culture that drive up costs while failing to add safety and making a mockery of justice.  There is not much that a typical CB like me can do about these problems, except maybe learning when to use a hangar elf occasionally (and when not to).  

You said it much better than I. What you have stated is what was in my thoughts, I just did not state it as eloquently as you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stnelson903 said:

If duct tape holding my cockpit door shut is wrong, I don't wanna be right. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

A long time ago I discovered there is a limit to the CB concept.  My first plane was 64 C-150 with a single NavCom that didn't work worth a damn on either Nav or Comm.  I thought I don't need no stinkin' radio, I could fly using pilotage and everything would be fine.  And then the compass stopped working in flight.  Navigating using the brightest part of the sky as the sole directional reference is taking the CB concept a little too far.  

1 hour ago, 81X said:

Especially in the Southeast- CB's everywhere!  

Yep! They're hard to dodge at night, and don't all show up on the stormscope. Like the one over Rome, GA that ATL Center vectored me clear over to Ft. Payne, AL to miss just before sunset yesterday.

• Like 1

great question, Moontown.

to sum things up...

CBs...

• a modern resettable fuse... Circuit Breaker
  • a common form of radio communication... Citizen’s Band
  • a lifestyle for people that want to fly a Mooney and manage to do so by scrimping on their automotive needs... Cheap Bastard 
  • want to see pics of my ‘95 firebird? :)
  • Tough cloud formations known to harbor thunderstorms and their accompanying plane damaging vertical air masses... Cumulonimbus

The definition of the CB is usually selectable by its context... if in the same paragraph, you see the word AMUs... expect the meaning of the CB to be the finance meaning...

But, if a CB is installing a re-used CB, to support a used radio like an ADSB receiver...  that would be a CB installing a CB, so he can tell if any CBs are in his flight path... 

So... being a CB can actually be a good thing...

A PP collection of what I have read here...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1