Need a different plane

My wife and I are having trouble getting in and out of our Mooney.  I'm looking at a high wing with similar or better performance than our M20E turbo.   I realize that a P210 will have higher operating costs, but it might be the way to go.  My wife hates the "nose hose", and we have to use it all the time where we live.  Does anyone have first hand knowledge of Dan Howard Aircraft Sales LLC?   There's a nice looking one on his website.

A Cessna 177RG with the same engine only gets about 135kts, compared to my 170kts at altitude.  If I can find one with turbo, it would be a contender.  I don't want less performance, so I'm thinking more of a T210 or P210.  I've had a good report on Dan Howard.

If only going by the numbers, and getting in and out is a real challenge....

My less mobile friend had a cardinal for this challenge...

Adding a turbo may put you close to the TNM20E expectations...

https://taturbo.com/177features.html

See if this video helps any....

The low floor, and big door is quite magical....

MS and plane shopping... perfect together!

now... pressurized cabin..?

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, Cody Stallings said:

Believe 177’s an 210’s have a Fresh New inspection that has to be done on the Carry Thru spar.

May wanna make sure all is well in that area on any potential prospects 

A friend with a 210 says this new AD will cost owners about 2.5 AMU.  He said that there are a limited number of facilities with qualified personnel and equipment to do the inspection, so there may be a delay.

Our local flight school is getting rid of their 172RG series airplanes because the cost of maintaining the main gear.  About $30K for the main gear. I’m not sure if the 182 RG and 210 share the same issues.

I’d consider a Texas Skyways 182 conversion, bigger engine in a simple airframe.

Clarence

Ah, the step-up choices and trade-offs.

Shop for insurance before buying any plane.  

I owned a T210.   Easy to enter and exit. Comfortable seats and fairly fast.  Great UL, over 1,500 pounds. The newest R models are 35 years old, most of the fleet are 40+ now.  

I flew a number of P210s on ferry flights.  Even more comfortable than the T210, slower to climb but solid and quiet. If you can find a good one and keep abreast of progressive maintenance you can have a good transportation machine.  

A late 1980s Malibu is about the same cost to buy as a good P210 and unlike the  Cessna it is still supported by current PA46 production.  

Neither is a good plane for a CB used to boasting of 1 AMU annuals.  

• Like 6

I just sold one to Dan , He is a very experienced guy and pretty straight forward , These plains are very big , and very fast , You will need to have an IR , lots of time , Cessna time , and special training , probably yearly training for insurance ,  Handles like a giant 172 , great plane , As far as the systems , you will need a shop that is familiar with these planes... The spar carry through inspection ,  is looming , but if it is a clean airframe , and a later model , you will be good , I don't think any of the pressurized models will need much more than the inspection , as they are only from 78 on ,   As far as your wife , Once she gets in this plane , she will never get back into a Mooney , It is huge , comfortable , and pressurized ,  Dan is the expert on these aircraft , and almost all of them , have been to Dan ...

• Like 1

I agree with Alan about 210’s being Dan’s specialty.  Years ago bought into a 210 partnership sourced from Dan. It was a great aircraft and the other partners had good things to say about him. It’s still based 20 feet from our hangar and I still think about joining back up with them. Sounds like I’ll have to do some reading about the new AD before I jump. 

If I was going to spend the money to feed a pressurized plane I’d buy a pa46...purchase price means very little in that game. 

I understand what the OP is asking and that he lives in an area with lots of tall mountains and less than ideal weather.  If he needs the altitude, speed, and pressurization the cost to operate will go up 3-4x vs an E model Mooney. I agree with you about the turbo 182/210. 

Chris, would your wife like to sit in the back seat (club seating) or does she like to sit next to you?  A TN a36 comes to mind (still not pressurized). 

My wife likes to sit beside me, and is a great co-pilot.  She knows all the systems and navigation, and keeps me on my toes.  I have about 3000 hours, and an instrument rating, with 2400 of them in Mooneys.  I would insist on the spar carry-through inspection as part of the sale.  I hadn't thought of insurance problems, other than the added expense.  I've looked at Malibu's.  They're a better plane, but the early ones are high time, and mostly dogs, and their airframe has a 10000 hour life limit.  Even the dogs cost more than a good P210.  A 177RG with TATurbo mod might work, if I can convince my wife that a canulla looks cool.

• Like 1

Why does she object to the cannula...is it because the one she is using is old and the plastic is brittle and irritating?Perhaps a newer ,softer prong style with proper trimming could solve your wife’s problem.Getting in and out ,I recommend light exercise Ike swimming ,could help the flexibility 

You're correct, a TR182 might meet our needs.  The MEA for travelling eastbound from Lillooet is 15000ft, and the MEA westbound is 14000.  After much digging, we've discovered that pressurization is too expensive on many different levels, including maintenance and insurance.  We'll have to learn to love the nose hose.

• Like 1