LASAR Cowl Mod STC - FAA / TC Familiarization?

45 MINUTE UPDATE.... Just got off the phone with LASAR. Response was "WOW. That's a great question. I should know the answer. Let me get back to you on that".

So, part 2 of the question is, has anyone installed this Mod IN Canada, ON a Canadian Registered Aircraft? If so, can you shoot me a copy of the Log book entry to see WTF is says?  

2 minutes ago, Reid said:

My understanding is that Transport Canada recognizes FAA STC's.  We bought the cowl closure mod from Lasar about 10 years back and our mechanic had no problems with the paperwork.

Which would be the "familiarization" portion, but there's nothing in writing. Just trying to find an answer before I have a guy do me a favor, install it, and then have his license on the hook for doing it. 
Just trying to CYA at this point. If it's another week of requesting the answer from TC, so be it. 

7 hours ago, GLJA said:

Does anyone know if the LASAR Cowl mod STC is familiarized with Transport Canada, or does it require/have its' own Transport STC? 
@M20Doc, I know you're 2 hours ahead of me and probably have the answer ;)

As an FAA STC it should be approved under the bilateral agreement.

The log entry should be quite straight forward, LASAR lower cowl closure p/n .....installed IAW STC.......

Clarence

59 minutes ago, Cyril Gibb said:

I’ve been out of touch for a while.  Any mention of a price?  Then I can do the unfortunate conversion from real dollars to Canadian pesos.

The price of what Cyril? The mod? It’s on the LASAR website. And looking at your profile photo, it appears you already have it  installed. 

I’m currently having one of my STC’s validated by Transport Canada which is about a 6 month process. The current bilateral agreement is that the USA accepts all Canadian STC’s and USA STC’s must be validated. Not much of a bilateral agreement in my opinion. It’s much worse though with EASA as I’ve done two of those last year. 
David

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sabremech said:

I’m currently having one of my STC’s validated by Transport Canada which is about a 6 month process. The current bilateral agreement is that the USA accepts all Canadian STC’s and USA STC’s must be validated. Not much of a bilateral agreement in my opinion. It’s much worse though with EASA as I’ve done two of those last year. 
David

I wonder if it has anything to do with the B737 MAX? B)

16 hours ago, Sabremech said:

David

David,

Is this a recent development with Transport Canada?  I find it strange, because we can import a plane from the US with a 337 block 3 FAA sign off covering non STC’d mods and have it accepted in Canada.

Clarence

Hi Clarence,

I recently had issues with a Falcon 2000 that had my STC being imported into Canada. I ended up working with an engineering firm in Canada and they did a one time STC so the new owner could import the airplane. That was almost 6 months ago and my validation is still not complete. I think the latest bilateral agreement was done in 2017 and it was not anything near equal for US holders of STC’s. 
David

For those keeping score at home:
The Yankees are through to the next round. 
Everyone else is battling it out in game 5!
Oh, and this came back from Transport Canada:

Attached is a copy of the Staff Instruction related to your inquiry.

At the bottom of page 13 is information note (b).  Per this note your FAA STC is exempt from type design examination because the aircraft is a US state of design with a CAR 3 basis of certification which is equivalent to FAR 23.

SI 513-003 - Acceptance and Approval of Foreign Design Changes.pdf

• Like 1