Carbon Monoxide Leak Finally Found

alextstone

This CO leak was hard to find but so obvious once I did. The intercooler duct has a bonded cabin heat chamber in the back side. A previous repair was made and the wall of the chamber was deteriorated at the border of the repair.

I repaired it again with Kevlar cloth and high heat silicone. CO levels are near zero now.

Alex34225318962b2c8ee83a381fce9ebe86.jpg70895642768ccb6aa128b0285304ee10.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I would not call that a repair, I call that a patch. I would expect new metal to be welded to be a repair. Is that even legal?

Tom
Tom, the part is fiberglass, the patch is Kevlar with a metal skin. There is no way to weld it. Yes it's legal because it's signed off by an AI.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Tom, the part is fiberglass, the patch is Kevlar with a metal skin. There is no way to weld it. Yes it's legal because it's signed off by an AI.

Exhaust temperature is ~1500°, that’s averaging done by the probe, and

high temperature silicone is only good to 500° for prolonged exposure?

60574c52448a620786f0b1e0ec6b8a99.jpg

And according to one site:

“Kevlar fiber can withstand temperatures up to 800 degrees F “

Are you sure it won’t be exposed to these temperatures?

48 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

Exhaust temperature is ~1500°, that’s averaging done by the probe, and

high temperature silicone is only good to 500° for prolonged exposure?

60574c52448a620786f0b1e0ec6b8a99.jpg

And according to one site:

“Kevlaremoji2400.png fiber can withstand temperatures up to 800 degrees F “

Are you sure it won’t be exposed to these temperatures?

Alex refers to Intercooler ducting. That's not exhaust, but the output of the turbo compressor going into intercooler for cooling before the compressed is routed into the cylinders. As such it shouldn't get much above 300F (if that high) on the input side and less by 60-80F on the output side.

If it was exhaust that would be a different story.  

• Like 1

Alex refers to Intercooler ducting. That's not exhaust, but the output of the turbo compressor going into intercooler for cooling before the compressed is routed into the cylinders. As such it shouldn't get much above 300F (if that high) on the input side and less by 60-80F on the output side.

Ahhh, I see now, thx. I’m obviously not a turbo guy.

Tom
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, kortopates said:

It's not even that! That moulding on one side takes the external air and pushes it through the intercooler, on the heat shield side takes the heated air from the exhaust muff to the blending valve for distribution to the defroster and heater. The heat shield is protecting the moulding from the exhaust (#5 to #3 to #1) which is only 1/2" away

I'm not doubting that this has fixed your CO reading, but curious as to where the CO was coming from to get in there?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Awful_Charlie said:

It's not even that! That moulding on one side takes the external air and pushes it through the intercooler, on the heat shield side takes the heated air from the exhaust muff to the blending valve for distribution to the defroster and heater. The heat shield is protecting the moulding from the exhaust (#5 to #3 to #1) which is only 1/2" away

I'm not doubting that this has fixed your CO reading, but curious as to where the CO was coming from to get in there?

Yes, spot on @Awful_Charlie!  I was going to explain but you beat me to it.   I am still trying to find the source of the CO but given that the entire exhaust was just dropped to install two cylinders and a new starter, I suppose we are back at square one....The exhaust system was inspected AGAIN while off the engine.  

• Like 1